Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Re: Atlantis

Oh Hercules makes us laugh he is so not herculean he is pure comedy. Love Pythagoras think he is our favourite.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I've been watching this now each week and I've decided what spoils it for me: the character of Hercules. The BBC don't usually get it wrong but I think they have made a real mistake with this character. The gentle humour between Arthur and Merlin was lovely and really added 'reality' to the characters but in Atlantis, Hercules is just plain ridiculous. If they have any sense, and want the series to be a success like Merlin was, they need to change his character or bring about a very quick exit for him.
Exactly my thoughts too Karen, that's not how I pictured Hercules to be at all...... he's just a buffoon in Atlantis.

I'm beginning the enjoy the programme more, getting used to the storyline too. It could prove to be a success but I don't think it will meet the standard of Merlin.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Exactly my thoughts too Karen, that's not how I pictured Hercules to be at all...... he's just a buffoon in Atlantis.
Precisely - he's supposed to be a divine hero, the son of Jupiter, the one in the programme looks more like the son of Eddie Yeats!

It's really hard to find a picture of him with his knickers on

I'm beginning the enjoy the programme more, getting used to the storyline too. It could prove to be a success but I don't think it will meet the standard of Merlin.
Me too - not ready to give up on it yet
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Sorry peeps, hate to differ, but I love Hercules. At first I thought the writers were taking the mick, Hercules? A fat, idle, drunk who sees himself as a wonderful hero? Then I began to look at him as the comedic element, a fat idle delusional drunk, who just happens to be called Hercules, works for me.

It occurred to me the other night that maybe it is all something happening inside Jason's head, something his mind is fabricating out of remembered names and stories?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Love this show great light hearted humour and of course I love Mark Addy great actor he first came to my attention in The Full Monty .
Atlantis not a show to be taken seriously more of a Sunday afternoon kinda thing.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Ah, so that's where I've seen Hercules before - I thought I recognised him. I know it's frivolous stuff but I quite like it and want to see how it ends. I'm guessing marriage of course, so no surprises really. I don't think the chap who plays Jason's much good, to be honest, but it's 45 minutes of light entertainment.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 12:44 PM

They are taking liberties in as much as they are mixing up the Greek and Roman myths but - hey - that's dramatic license. Mark Addy's mum is a friend and has said that filming for series two starts soon after New Year!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They are taking liberties in as much as they are mixing up the Greek and Roman myths but - hey - that's dramatic license.
Exactly Silver Tabby.
There's also the time scales; Heracles, (known as Hercules) is attributed to have been born around 1200BC but Pythagoras was born in 570BC.

Plato claimed that the lost realm of Atlantis was situated beyond the Pillars of Heracles (Hercules), actually placing it in the realm of the Unknown as the Greeks often did as their "known" world was mainly the Mediterranean.

It's quite possible that the Atlantis myth could easily have been inspired by the Black Sea Floods of 5000BC - also possibly the floods of the Noah mythology, still one of the greatest mysteries of the world if he existed), and also known in Plato's time.

I've even see the Canaries, the Azores and Antarctica claimed as being the last remnants of Atlantis but the best theory is the Black Sea floods and, as the Black Sea is over 2000 metres in depth, it is a possibility that a lost civilisation is down there but I strongly doubt there'll ever be a genuine attempt to find out unfortunately.

Anyway, if you like this kind of loosely historical entertainment enjoy! stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 03:13 PM

I have to say that it has grown on me (Hercules still irritates the life out of me but I'm not a fan of buffoon types anyway so nothing against the actor) but I'd like to see more of the usual myths and legends. It's lighthearted and fun and I think that's we need sometimes
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They are taking liberties in as much as they are mixing up the Greek and Roman myths but - hey - that's dramatic license. Mark Addy's mum is a friend and has said that filming for series two starts soon after New Year!
It is this mish mash mix up which makes me think that Jason was rendered unconscious during the initial 'crash/accident/incident, was rescued, and is now in a coma, and all this is going on in his head. He saw that stuff on the sea floor, and that, plus remembered bits of myths and legends etc is all mixed up in his head. After all they did it with Oz, and with Life on Mars, quite successfully.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top