Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Re: Ripper Street is being cancelled sign petition please

If people enjoy violence there are enough shows containing it I reserve the right to not watch it and to not encourage it being made.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Patsy no disrespect I do believe in what you say to a certain level. I also don't like to see unnecessary violence on the screens.
But Ripper Street for what I have seen of it is shown after 9pm when children should be in their beds.
It also has a lot of historical facts and is based on the actual true life of what was happening around that time. The beginning of the police force the fight to get it excepted and the corruption that if truth be known still goes on to this day, the early days of the underground the Elephant Man has some one as already mentioned. How the elite snobs treated the Irish and what they thought of them and much more. These things I find very interesting when I watch it.
Yes there are a few brutal killings but you have to understand that this series was set in times of killers like Jack the Ripper and Sweeney Todd.
Plus I think the actors/actress's are doing a great job.
I agree on the things you find interesting but - if the programme was 'not' so graphic in violent scenes - would you still watch it. If not - why not .......
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree on the things you find interesting but - if the programme was 'not' so graphic in violent scenes - would you still watch it. If not - why not .......
A good storyline every time like I stated earlier unnecessary violence does not make it appealing to me. But sometimes you may see it and providing it is kept at a minimum and does not spoil the plot then I am ok with it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Providing it is kept to a minimum is OK by me too.
We used to rely on good scripts and very good actors, now stuff is thrown in the pot which is a real turn off as I feel they just do it for the sake of it, and they are not giving enough credit to the viewer. We're not 'all' Sun readers.... and todays idea of entertainment is pure 'Sun' tabloid garbage.
I think we agree on the principle of what makes acceptable viewing whether before 9 or after. Pity the chiefs dont.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 07:52 PM

There was violence in "Oliver", same era, it was a very violent and lawless time. I wasn't keen on the violent scenes in Ripper St. especially the boxing in the last episode, the make-up was very realistic though!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-12-2013, 07:56 PM

No comparison with Oliver Twiz - not 'graphic' ......
BTW - you dont actually have to 'see' the violence, a good director will do the job very effectively, such as in Downton recently - we got the message, it was handled well.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 07:57 PM

I dunno, Bill Sykes scared the c**p out of me!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Yes he did a good job, no graphic violence though ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

19-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Getting immune to it now daughter's doing special effects make-up! She arrives home with all sorts of "injuries" and insists on telling me how they do them while we're watching TV. I watch for the costumes mainly, couldn't tell you the story-line half the time!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Dont think we're talkin make-up gal

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top