Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 06:57 PM

TV. Ad. Audio Levels.

I have been complaining about this for years now, the sooner they bring a law out this side of the Atlantic the better, seems like it's been in place in the USA for some time now, we are all treated like children in school in my opinion, "Now here is an ad, we'll play it louder to make you pay attention." I came across this by accident.

"If for years you have complained about the sound on commercials being pumped up louder than the program you are watching on TV, somebody has finally done something about it.

Senate Defeats Bill That Would Have Limited FCC Control Over Internet
On Tuesday the Federal Communications Commission passed rules that will make TV stations, cable operators and others responsible for keeping the volume on both national and local advertising to the same level as the program around it.

The new rules go into effect in about one year, on December 13, 2012.
The new rules are part of legislation passed in 2010 and signed by President Obama called the CALM Act. CALM stands for the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation.
STORY: Anderson Cooper's Talk Show Is a News Program, FCC Rules
There is some flexibility in the rules for “imbedded ads,” meaning those passed along by program distributors. There are also rules which require large operators to do annual spot-checking of commercials for at least the first two years.
Small operators can seek a hardship waiver if they cannot afford to purchase new equipment. But they will still be responsible for the volume and could face punishment for violations."
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Re: TV. Ad. Audio Levels.

This is where the mute button comes in handy - you'd think they didn't know it existed
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Lets hope they follow suit here Jem - in the meantime, run them on .....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
This is where the mute button comes in handy - you'd think they didn't know it existed
Ah yes BV, but what happens if you are out in the kitchen and the TV is on, you are busy with something in you hands that you can't put down in a hurry?, or in my case making a bottle for the baby (Sometimes I actually do).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:21 PM

How did the panto go Jem ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:34 PM

I always mute the ads, before I leave the room I mute the TV, simple!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-12-2013, 07:35 PM

What a clever gal !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
How did the panto go Jem ....
The panto went off great Patsy, young Liam slipped on the stage but was up like a light and carried on like an old trooper, a great night. They laid on Tea, Coffee, mulled wine, cakes and scones, that's scones by the way, not scons.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The panto went off great Patsy, young Liam slipped on the stage but was up like a light and carried on like an old trooper, a great night. They laid on Tea, Coffee, mulled wine, cakes and scones, that's scones by the way, not scons.
The mark of a real trouper then !
Jem - I heard a story today about a nativity
2 boys, one playing Joseph, the other the inkeeper.
The thing is they didn't get on and an almighty row between the two ensued before curtain up. When it came to Joseph saying - 'Is there any room at the inn' ?
The inkeeper replied - 'No ! F... off' !
Gave a good laugh to the audience ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-12-2013, 07:52 PM

Me favourite, was a little boy reciting the Lords prayer like this ......
Our Father, who art in Heaven - 'Harold' be thy name .....
True story ..... Aah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top