Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Re: TV. Ad. Audio Levels.

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The mark of a real trouper then !
Jem - I heard a story today about a nativity
2 boys, one playing Joseph, the other the inkeeper.
The thing is they didn't get on and an almighty row between the two ensued before curtain up. When it came to Joseph saying - 'Is there any room at the inn' ?
The inkeeper replied - 'No ! F... off' !
Gave a good laugh to the audience ....
God I would love to have been there for that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 08:01 PM

I know ! ...... I'd have been shocked then fell about laughing
Goodnight to you Jem and all that follow
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 09:21 PM

There's an ad playing at the moment and a lady is singing "My love has no beginning my love has no end", does that mean her chap has no head and no ass?, silly woman, there's no future in a fella like that.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 09:13 AM

When you ask why don't you mute the noise of the adverts my answer is try finding the remote control in my house. Minding my own business a lot of the times and wham out comes the noise. You don't just get adverts from commercial companies that bounce out at you, there is also the adverts for
programmes that are coming on that channel. They are very loud too.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Very true Sandy ......
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have been complaining about this for years now, the sooner they bring a law out this side of the Atlantic the better, seems like it's been in place in the USA for some time now, we are all treated like children in school in my opinion, "Now here is an ad, we'll play it louder to make you pay attention."
Jem - I completely agree with you on this. It drives me nuts. In fact I think something was done in the days of analogue TV and Radio they imposed a limit on the modulation waveforms, if I recall it was about 80%, that was fairly easy to do and to monitor but of course we are now in the 'digital' age and those rules just don't apply. (Seeing as how everything is sent by 'ones' and 'zeros' now)

And it would seem our law makers are too busy with other 'stuff' to get around to making it compulsory to keep the modulation even between programming and adverts.

Sadly, I know for a fact that the TV advertising industry is far more sinister than just turning up the volume, they use other techniques which 99% of viewers just don't know about (or would understand even if they did know)

One of these 'techniques' is to show the ad at the start of the 'break' and then make it the last one at the end of the break, so they 'get you' if you are slow to hit the mute button, or a bit quick to hit it again at the end of the ad break. (Of course they pay more for this facility since it can only be done for one ad.)There are many other techniques I could mention.

Also, in our house I usually have the remote by my chair, if I 'mute' the sound when the ads start and go out of the room and don't get back before the programme starts again Mrs. Losos goes bersurk

The most sinister aspect of advertising (TV in particular) is the ever increasing percentage of time allocated to adverts now. When ITV started all those years ago there was a limit (I think it was about 10 minutes every hour) that has now shot up to about 20 or 25 minutes every hour and the trailers for upcomming programmes are on top of that.

I do NOT watch Sky News anymore because if you add in the weather forecasts which they do every 15 minutes it ends up that you sit in front of the box for an HOUR and get just 10 to 12 minutes of REAL NEWS

Life is too short to waste that sort of time on TV viewing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Lots of stuff there I didn't know, thanks Losos.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 05:48 PM

If the newspapers can hack your phones then as the TV is in the room with you then you can expect everything I suppose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

"If for years you have complained about the sound on commercials being pumped up louder than the program you are watching on TV, somebody has finally done something about it.
It is not a problem in my house I only watch the ABC.

However there is a Code of Conduct (to stop the government making laws):
Loudness in Advertisements

Broadcasters are aware that community concern exists in relation to the perceived loudness of advertisements compared with adjacent programs.

Broadcasters transmit television programs and commercials at exactly the same volume and do not take any action to contribute towards advertisements appearing louder than program material.

The issue of loudness is complicated. Unlike volume, which can be accurately and objectively measured, 'loudness' is largely subjective and is influenced by a variety of factors including volume, pitch, compression and other sound processing techniques. These factors can contribute to advertisements appearing 'louder' than programs even when broadcast at the same volume.

In addition, an advertisement that is unobtrusive when broadcast during an action movie/drama program may appear louder when broadcast during a talk show or variety program.

To the extent technically practicable, broadcasters have sought to address concerns regarding loudness in the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice.

The Code contains provisions which state that:

1.11 Commercials must not be excessively noisy or strident;
1.12 Licensees must do everything reasonably possible to ensure that commercials do not sound louder than adjacent programming;
1.13 Studio transmission must not be increased from normal levels during program breaks;

1.14 A licensee shall be deemed to have complied with Clauses 1.11 and 1.12 provided it ensures that the relevant requirements of Free TV Australia's Operation Practice Note on Loudness of Advertisements, as amended from time to time, have been met. This requirement is satisfied if a person submitting a commercial certifies to the licensee that all requirements of the Operational Practice Note on Loudness of Advertisements concerning compression, limiting and equalisation have been met.

Advertisements submitted to stations for broadcast are required to comply with the requirements of the Operational Practice Note on Loudness of Advertisements (OP 48).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top