Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Re: Dave Allen

I used to love Dave Allen's humour, always looked forward to his programmes and like BV's mum, my mum was smitten by him too
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Unfortunately, in his later shows, he did resort to swearing - sometimes quite badly, which was a great shame as he was talented enough not to have to resort to such cheap tactics.
Originally Posted by Patsy ->
So right - it is a shame and it adds 'nothing' ....
Yes I liked him especially his early shows. As you both say there is no need (if you have talent) to swear and use bad language, but I suspect that some people behind the scenes said it would improve his ratings and that's why he did it. It was his job, and like so many of us it's hard to turn your back on a good little earner, I don't think it's acceptable but nowadays all the so called comedians seem to do is swear and make crude jokes, anyone can do that so why should I watch it on TV
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:22 PM

The decline in 'standards' is a real shame - I have to laugh when I see old clips of the BBC at work - Oh, how they've changed ! Anything goes now, and they just churn out rubbish because of it .....
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 07:11 PM

After all his jokes at the expense of the Church I always thought his parting saying 'May your God go with you' somehow said everything about tolerance to other people's beliefs. I thought he was brilliant and unique.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The decline in 'standards' is a real shame - I have to laugh when I see old clips of the BBC at work - Oh, how they've changed ! Anything goes now, and they just churn out rubbish because of it .....
You are so right, I feel that Lord Reith would be turning in his grave if he only knew what the BBC is doing now. From what I know Lord Reith was a strict disciplinarian and rules with a rod of iron and that made every one in the BBC in those days work hard to produce good programmes and to educate the listeners.

Now, all the BBC director generals have no backbone, no work ethic, and to make matters worse they can't sack people, everyone has 'uman rights It's obvious if you have the 'luvvies' running the show you'll get wishy washy programmes aimed at the lowest common denominator.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:32 PM

I agree, the standards at the BBC have shrunk dramatically, will they ever recover from the Jimmy Savile shame, it used to be such a great and highly respected organisation.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
We watched a program about Dave Allen on BBC the other night, enjoyed it as we always liked his comedy. The presenter said something about him being banned on Irish TV because of his send ups about the church, if you want to make something popular in Ireland the best way to do it is ban it, if they had banned the Irish language everybody here would be speaking it now, can't say I ever seen him on Irish TV, but it made no difference, everybody in Ireland had the BBC channels anyway and I can tell you it was the most popular show watched in Dublin, in the days before video recorders and when colour TV was in it's infancy, the 'ColourTV Room' in the pubs would be packed on Friday nights when he was on, all the talk in work and on the bus was "Did you see Dave Alan last Friday night?". I just thought I'd point that out in case folks thought he was deserted by his own or got any wrong impression, wish we had someone like him and Les Dawson on TV today. I never knew he spent some time on Australian TV.

You and me both Jem, Liked 'em both but possibly favoured Les Dawson a bit more.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I agree, the standards at the BBC have shrunk dramatically, will they ever recover from the Jimmy Savile shame, it used to be such a great and highly respected organisation.
I think they made the mistake in the early days of being OTT on standards - thats why I find looking back 'funny'.
You all had to talk 'like that' - where a dinner suit, evening dress - just not relaxed. Now - they are too relaxed - the elastics positively drooping !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Aren't they just echoing the relaxation of standards in real life ? Who would have imagined years ago we would be seeing people walking down the streets exposing their bodies as they do swearing and behaving so badly ?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Don't you think its funny that he used to sit on his stool with a ciggy in one hand and a drink in the other.

Wouldn't get away with that now.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top