Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 03:13 AM

Still Open All Hours

I don't know if anyone watched this on Boxing Day, where "Granville" is now in charge of Arkright's shop, and it was brilliant.

I loved Open All Hours and have just finished watching the whole original series on You Tube, but I'm glad to see that a new series will be broadcast, after 30 years since the original, as the humour was absolutely brilliant.

I really wish the new series well, as I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Ronnie Barker as old Arkwright was a phenomenal character, very funny and it won't be the same without him, but I think David Jason will do the part justice as old Arkwright's nephew, be he H-h-h-Hungarian or not!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Re: Still Open All Hours

We had high hopes of this but it didn't seem nearly as good as the original series. They are copying and it's a poor copy. But I think it could be because we are huge fans of Ronnie Barker, best series ever was Clarence and I don't think anyone else could do that one either.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 11:27 AM

You just cant go back can ya - to return to a series years later, just doesn't work .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 11:33 AM

I did watch it, found some parts amusing, but I think it would be a mistake to make a new series. It just isn't the same without the Master.

There is also to be a one off Fools and Horses. Hmmmm, without John Sullivan's writing...I know his sons will be doing it...it's not going to be the same, is it?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 11:37 AM

Del Boy - an absolute favourite for me, no you cant go back, wish we could.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 06:13 PM

I was a bit disappointed, canned laughter in it wasn't there? They've put it in the new Birds of a Feather too, spoils it. I was amazed that Granville looked older than most of the ladies (who were older than him) especially Mrrs. Featherstone and Nurse Gladys. Nice touch when he spoke to the photo, amazed the till was the same!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 07:14 PM

The till has a starring part though, doesn't I?!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-01-2014, 07:31 PM

Wouldn't seem right with a new fangled one - now would it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You just cant go back can ya - to return to a series years later, just doesn't work .....
...I don't think you can go back, it just doesn't work for me and I won't watch 'remakes' of old series which were classics of their time and just can't be replicated .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Did you see the documentary about the Still Open? They said the director would be behind the till and pulled the drawer with a piece of string. So when we saw (in the old series) that I think Ronnie Barker almost got his fingers really caught, it was because the director pulled a bit too quick!!

The docu showed people coming from far and wide to watch the filming, and said with the studio parts the ticket application was in thousands for about 300 seats.

I've actually been enjoying Birds, and still find it funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top