Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 06:02 PM

Re: Cochlear Implant

Hello!
Sorry for the prolonged absence folks but I've had a few things going on lately that I had to deal with but everything is now - I hope - settled again and I can try to get my life back.

I've got another tuning session in October, one in November then January next year and then that's it, barring problems until my review in July next year.

I'm doing fine but it's hard trying to learn to hear all over again, especially as what I hear in my right ear is actually digital "beeps" that sound a bit like Morse Code but my brain translates that to speech or even music, although that's a bit weird at times.

I am working on trying to find a way to improve the experience of hearing music through my ComPilot, which I also use to stream 'phone calls from my new iPhone directly to the sound processor to the implant, without wires!

It's a rather strange experience hearing someone speaking in my head rather than through my ears but it's remarkably clear.
I'm typing this and streaming Pink Floyd through my ComPilot and my 'phone's enabled so, if I get a call, the ComPilot overrides what I'm listening to, announces who is calling, (if they are on my Directory!), and I just talk as the sound processor microphones pick up what I say and feed that back to the iPhone and the caller!

I get weird looks if I get a call out & about - it's Bluetooth, no wires!

I've also got a remote Bluetooth microphone so people can clip it to their clothes and talk to me from even 60 feet away but I hear them as if they are next to me - handy for shopping amongst other things as I tend to wander off!

I now have a friend too - a lady friend and we met for the first time yesterday so it's all early days yet.

It's actually my birthday today - I'm 65 but I'm not retiring.

I have lost a lot of weight since April, 24 lbs, but I feel better for it actually.

I'm still on medication for depression and I no longer drink excessively as I did for a while.

I got into quite a few states due to the meds reacting with the alcohol and nearly got taken into protective custody on two occasions but I didn't care at the time.

I'm waiting for Counselling Sessions to commence but apparently I may have to wait 18 weeks!

There's so little done these days for people struggling with mental health problems so it's no wonder that there are so many people out and about that should be cared for in secure, safe places but that's the Cuts for you!

Even my GP's changed things - I'm on an At Risk Register now for two life-threatening reasons, one being officially labelled as Asthma, although it's more complicated than that and now, if I get any problems at all with my Implant I'm supposed to be considered an emergency case but my Surgery seems to think that's unimportant!

I was running out of some medication recently so i ordered that online but another one was due about 6 days later so I ordered that too - save time and money i thought but that's not the way the NHS works now apparently because the Surgery stipulated that I couldn't order the second one until it was about to run out, despite the fact that it was another Asthma med!

At work I'm just fine now.

Everyone's rallied round and help me if I get depressed and I, in turn, help other in our group struggling with depression - it's on the increase everywhere because life's become so stressful!

My stress, and my depression problems are aggravated by my personal circumstances so for me, work is a safe haven and I even go in on my day off just to get a bit of peace.

That of course can't continue but it's too complicated to work out at the moment so I'm stuck with things as they are; in short, I'm separated but still live under the same roof - no choice!

Well, I'd better get ready - going out to dinner with a friend tonight. See ya!! Martin
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 07:28 PM

Nice to hear things are on the up.
I'm sure the depression will subside as your life improves.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 08:39 PM

A lot's happened since your last update, I did the 'under the same roof but soon to divorce' thing some years back, not easy but we have stayed friends since those days.
I hope your depression lifts and life holds only the good things from now on, Stevmk.

All the best xx
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 03:11 PM

Naaah!
It got even worse so I have a decision to make now.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Naaah!
It got even worse so I have a decision to make now.
Then make a decision on what is best for you It sounds like you marriage is over, but you still have a life to live, and enjoy!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 03:33 PM

I hope things improve for you Steve, stay positive.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 04:12 PM

Sometimes making that huge decision is the thing that's holding you back.
Once you're past that stage things fall into place and the way forward becomes clearer. It's like walking down a path and finding your way blocked by a huge obstacle, once you've climbed over it the path is much easier.
Hope that makes sense!
Good luck Steve, hope everything turns out for the best.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 07:34 PM

Nice to hear from you again, stevmk2. Hope your circumstances change for the better. Sending best wishes.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 07:53 PM

I hope you soon get your personal problems sorted out Steve ... just enjoy the company of your new lady friend in the meantime ...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-10-2016, 09:24 PM

Sorry about the sporadic posts but I've been a bit preoccupied for some time now plus I'm really struggling with my depression because of my situation.

Today I went into work again - I don't work Fridays but I go in to work because I feel less stressed and amongst friends, the things I haven't got outside of work.

I've decided to go away on my own for a few days so I've got another tuning appointment on Monday at Oxford so when I come back from that I'm off to Norfolk that evening.

I don't care how long it takes me.

If I get tired I'll pull over and sleep in the car, I promise, just as long as I get away.

I'm going to a cottage in a small village by the sea and I'll go for walks and nature rambles etc. to try get a grip or I'm going to implode.

I've had a couple of days this past week where I have almost had a panic attack because I just get too anxious about things at work as my boss is off and really it's all down to me and there's nobody to help me.

The situation at work is dire - we are so short staffed everyone's worn out, depressed, tired and irritable - me included so I need this break or I think there's a good chance I'll go mad!

I may take my Notepad with me - depends if there is broadband though but I might be able to keep in touch with my iPhone but I've just got to get away, from work, and all the things that are giving me so much stress at home.
stevmk2

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top