Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 07:44 PM

Re: Is it cruel to train and use guide dogs

I had a friend who took guide dog pups & helped train them. She had two rejected dogs at different times as pets. She said she asked for them back if they didn't make the grade, as she had fallen in love with them. Other pups she gave back without a worry.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Might be a bit of a hard life for a seeing eye dog if it's owner is into parachuting!
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Might be a bit of a hard life for a seeing eye dog if it's owner is into parachuting!
Paint balling by proxy! - Doggo on the m mike

DOGGO: 'go here, duck - go there, duck.'
Blind john: Ouch , ouch-when can I shoot something..?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:12 PM

Definitely not as cruel as training a guide cow or a guide roo.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Dogs love to please and receive praise it is the pinnacle of existence for many.

As long as dogs are trained using positive reinforcement methods PR (and never punishment, teach required behaviour and reward) training is not cruel and I understand guide Dogs are trained using PR methods these days.
'Using' a Guide Dog is not cruel , a dog with a purpose and treated with kindness and understanding should be a happy and fulfilled dog unlike those dogs who spend a lot of time alone with their minds under used.

I agree with you Meg.

The ones I have met have always appeared calm and at ease, gentle, happy, and loving dogs.

Having said that, last summer when I was in Marks & Spencers food place, a young, in-training GSD was full of beans, and was trying to nick bags of sweets off the lower shelves!
I spoke to both the lady, and the dog, and both were lovely. Even though that dog was beautiful, he was so cheeky and I did wonder if he ever made the grade or not.

I know of two Assistance Dogs near me, both Labs, and when those dogs got old, the people were allowed to keep them even though they'd been issued with younger models by then.
I was pleased about that, because I wouldn't have been happy if those old dogs had been taken away after spending years with that person.

One of the ladies told me if the guide dog people want to breed with a dog though, that the 'owner' has to let it go back to them for mating and whelping.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I had a friend who took guide dog pups & helped train them. She had two rejected dogs at different times as pets. She said she asked for them back if they didn't make the grade, as she had fallen in love with them. Other pups she gave back without a worry.

Isn't it 12 months 'Puppy Walking' they have to do in a house, Tiff, to get them used to washing machines, hoovers, kids, other dogs and everyday situations?
Then the real training starts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with you Meg.

The ones I have met have always appeared calm and at ease, gentle, happy, and loving dogs.

Having said that, last summer when I was in Marks & Spencers food place, a young, in-training GSD was full of beans, and was trying to nick bags of sweets off the lower shelves!
I spoke to both the lady, and the dog, and both were lovely. Even though that dog was beautiful, he was so cheeky and I did wonder if he ever made the grade or not.

I know of two Assistance Dogs near me, both Labs, and when those dogs got old, the people were allowed to keep them even though they were issued with a younger model.
I was pleased about that, because I wouldn't have been happy if those old dogs had been taken away after spending years with that person.

One of the ladies told me if the guide dog people want to breed with a dog though, that the 'owner' has to let it go back to them for mating and whelping.
I can't imagine Murt ever making the grade either, not unless the owner was a blind stuntman.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can't imagine Murt ever making the grade either, not unless the owner was a blind stuntman.
Well - he will have picked up your bad habits by now!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-01-2021, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well - he will have picked up your bad habits by now!

Goes without saying, Tabs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Dogs love to please and receive praise it is the pinnacle of existence for many.

As long as dogs are trained using positive reinforcement methods PR (and never punishment, teach required behaviour and reward) training is not cruel and I understand guide Dogs are trained using PR methods these days.
'Using' a Guide Dog is not cruel , a dog with a purpose and treated with kindness and understanding should be a happy and fulfilled dog unlike those dogs who spend a lot of time alone with their minds under used.
Longdogs get everywhere.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top