Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Re: Good Morning Monday

Good morning everyone, have a good day, stay safe and well. God bless.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
It's warmer now, and the snow & ice has all melted, at least at this lower level
But the weather is still wet & miserable - low cloud & mist, and blowing rain

I have enough food in, and the place is tidy enough, so I'll be indoors today doing hobbies - wood carving probably
Are you making something special?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Blimey.It is morning for you but only just.You are going to have a long day

Yes - but it will be fun!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are you making something special?

Yes, a knife handle

I make knives and most of my wood carving is to make the handles
I buy in ready made blades then fit my own handles, and then make the sheaths
Search YouTube for knife handles and knife making if you're interested
Most people use power tools like belt sanders, but I use hand tools - files, rasps, and sandpaper

I have made the polishing tools for finishing the cut edges of leather - again, Search YouTube for leather edge burnishers or leather edge slickers

That's about it really; I don't do little wooden animals or things like that

Alright, apologies if i'm telling you more than you really want to know, but there are two basic sorts of wood carving -

Carving in the round, where you carve animals, birds, and similar things
Carving pictures, patterns, or lettering on a flat sheet of wood, which is known as relief carving or chip carving
And again, Search on YT, or for beginners wood carving

A few years ago I stayed at a B&B where the owner did wood carving
He collected random pieces of old driftwood, fallen timber, and so on
Then he carved faces, animals, and interesting shapes that fitted onto the curves & bumps of the wood - some of them more or less real life, and some of them fantasy or abstract
The size ranged from small pieces on a shelf or windowsill to larger freestanding items
It was quite unusual and impressive, and he got requests from local craft shops, cafes, and so on

I don't think I'll try anything like that as I'm busy enough already with what I do
Besides, for something like that you really should do it because you want to, not because you feel you have to do it
I tried spoon carving, but didn't take to it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 12:40 PM

A late good morning today.
Been busy doing my banking, filling in forms, making phone calls and answering Emails.

Quite a bit milder, so no frost today. I understand we only have a reprieve for today though, then it will be colder again.

Mags, not sure whether your dental appt. brought forward is a good thing or a bad. I reckon they are getting a lot of cancellations at the mo, so I expect that's why.
Trying to look on the bright side, at least they haven't allowed you much time to fret about it!
Good luck.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 12:50 PM

Thanks Mups, I accepted that appointment as the sooner I get this bothersome tooth removed the better. I’m concerned things may get worse and the dentists may be closed down like last year and I would be left with a ramping toothache.

If it was just a routine check, I would have cancelled straight away.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 01:56 PM

It's warmer now, and the snow & ice has all melted, at least at this lower level
But the weather is still wet & miserable - low cloud & mist, and blowing rain

I have enough food in, and the place is tidy enough, so I'll be indoors today doing hobbies - wood carving probably

I did a night school course on wood carving once, still got most of my tools out in the shed. I loved it and wish I'd have carried on in a way.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Good morning! Well done on the math, PSmith. It saved me the mental gymnastics, though once it hits 30, I am happy. Chilly, cloudy, and rainy here this morning.

Good reading, Zuludog and fascinating work. I hope you share a photo of the handle when you finish.

Mags, good news about your tooth - you won't have time to think too much more about it! I hope the procedure goes quickly and smoothly.

After a long adventure yesterday to check out a small town that is in the running for a retirement spot, today is one at the computer working on my mom's finances and taxes. Fun, fun!

Good day and good health!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Yes, a knife handle

I make knives and most of my wood carving is to make the handles
I buy in ready made blades then fit my own handles, and then make the sheaths
Search YouTube for knife handles and knife making if you're interested
Most people use power tools like belt sanders, but I use hand tools - files, rasps, and sandpaper

I have made the polishing tools for finishing the cut edges of leather - again, Search YouTube for leather edge burnishers or leather edge slickers

That's about it really; I don't do little wooden animals or things like that

Alright, apologies if i'm telling you more than you really want to know, but there are two basic sorts of wood carving -

Carving in the round, where you carve animals, birds, and similar things
Carving pictures, patterns, or lettering on a flat sheet of wood, which is known as relief carving or chip carving
And again, Search on YT, or for beginners wood carving

A few years ago I stayed at a B&B where the owner did wood carving
He collected random pieces of old driftwood, fallen timber, and so on
Then he carved faces, animals, and interesting shapes that fitted onto the curves & bumps of the wood - some of them more or less real life, and some of them fantasy or abstract
The size ranged from small pieces on a shelf or windowsill to larger freestanding items
It was quite unusual and impressive, and he got requests from local craft shops, cafes, and so on

I don't think I'll try anything like that as I'm busy enough already with what I do
Besides, for something like that you really should do it because you want to, not because you feel you have to do it
I tried spoon carving, but didn't take to it
Not at all - I love to hear about hobbies and skills - and I love wood - it is so varied, beautiful, and tactile. Have never worked with it though - apart from shelving in the kitchen - and that is not really the same thing at all! Do you have a favourite?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not at all - I love to hear about hobbies and skills - and I love wood - it is so varied, beautiful, and tactile. Have never worked with it though - apart from shelving in the kitchen - and that is not really the same thing at all! Do you have a favourite?
Most of my wood carving has been for knife handles, where you want something hard, close grained, and preferably with an interesting grain pattern
Various tropical and exotic hardwoods are often used, but I am trying to use British, or at least temperate woods, even if they are from USA, Turkey, or Sweden

This means I mainly use walnut, beech, hawthorn, oak, yew, and cherry

There are also synthetic handle materials like Micarta, but I haven't used them

For more general carving you would choose softer and cheaper wood like bass wood aka lime, or sycamore, at least if you are a beginner
Though as you get better you could probably carve anything

As with most subjects, there is plenty of information on YouTube, just play around with the Search box

These suppliers have blades, handle materials, and other stuff for knife making, including kits
It doesn't have to be a full blown hunting knife either; you can get chef's knife blades

www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk
www.moonrakerknives.co.uk
www.brisa.fi

Brisa is a Finnish company with a wide range of items, so you can see the sort of things available
I have bought from them and they are easy to deal with, but I don't know what the situation is post Brexit

To confuse you even more, I have learned leatherwork in order to make the sheaths - but that's another subject!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top