Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:22 PM

Asteroid, APOPHIS

ON April 13th, (Friday the 13th) 2029, the 400 meter wide asteroid APOPHIS will pass so close to the earth that is will be within the orbit of our satellites. That is far closer than any other asteroid of that size within living memory.

It was initially thought that Apophis would strike the earth, but later calculations determined that it would only be a very narrow miss. Depending upon the exact location of the miss will determine if it will hit us when it returns on April 13th 2036.

Apophis is not an "earth ender", but if it hit us in an ocean it would create a tsunami hundreds of feet tall and do major damage to any coast line. If, for example it hit in the Pacific Ocean it would make a hole in the ocean, 3 miles wide and 3 miles deep. goodbye Hawaii, California and everything else bordering the Pacific.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:29 PM

Re: Asteroid, APOPHIS

And we thought Covid was bad! I hope to be still around to see what happens. Can some one not nuke it while it is still a safe distance away>?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:30 PM

If this is the same one I read about in last Sundays paper, I think our report said it won't be till 2046 and even then, it won't hit us, just come closer than normal.

In any case, I have more pressing things to worry about in the present times, than what might possibly happen after my lifetime has been and gone.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
And we thought Covid was bad! I hope to be still around to see what happens. Can some one not nuke it while it is still a safe distance away>?
Good question. Many people are against nuking it. I, however, am in favor of nuking it PROVIDED it was far, far from earth.
bakerman
Mexico

03-11-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If this is the same one I read about in last Sundays paper, I think our report said it won't be till 2046 and even then, it won't hit us, just come closer than normal.

In any case, I have more pressing things to worry about in the present times, than what might possibly happen after my lifetime has been and gone.
There may be another asteroid in 2046 , but Apophis will pass super close by in 2029 and again in 2036.

How close is close? Kinda like have a bullet pass through your hair but not actually hit you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:49 PM

Seems NASA don't think it will happen:

https://www.space.com/14782-asteroid...t-2011ag5.html
bakerman
Mexico

03-11-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Seems NASA don't think it will happen:

https://www.space.com/14782-asteroid...t-2011ag5.html
Different rock. the quote says it is 2011 AG5 with a completely different size and orbit. If you have a mind to, look up Apophis.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 12:03 AM

The asteroid that whizzed past and set a new record for the closest ever miss with Earth happened only this year ... August, I believe. Just 2,000 miles from the surface.

It was previously undiscovered too .... until an eagle eyed observer scanning through astronomical video footage asked .. 'What was that thing that whizzed by us 6 hours ago'.

So now we know ...

2029 hey? Now there's something to look forward to.
Wonder what the chances are of it hitting the moon never mind Earth.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
ON April 13th, (Friday the 13th) 2029, the 400 meter wide asteroid APOPHIS will pass so close to the earth that is will be within the orbit of our satellites. That is far closer than any other asteroid of that size within living memory.

It was initially thought that Apophis would strike the earth, but later calculations determined that it would only be a very narrow miss. Depending upon the exact location of the miss will determine if it will hit us when it returns on April 13th 2036.

Apophis is not an "earth ender", but if it hit us in an ocean it would create a tsunami hundreds of feet tall and do major damage to any coast line. If, for example it hit in the Pacific Ocean it would make a hole in the ocean, 3 miles wide and 3 miles deep. goodbye Hawaii, California and everything else bordering the Pacific.

OK well I better go and have my first ever swim at Bondi before it disappears. ..(See Minx's "What have you never done" thread.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Different rock. the quote says it is 2011 AG5 with a completely different size and orbit. If you have a mind to, look up Apophis.

I have done so Bakerman, and I won't be panicking about possible huge tsunami just yet.
It seems they knew about this Asteroid back in 2004.

This link explains more about Apophis.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/asteroi...phis/in-depth/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top