Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Re: New TV.

When you view TVs in the shops you have to remember that they are all displaying 4K feeds and the pictures do look stunning, but afaik, only sky broadcasts 4K on some channels, so the tv won’t be as good picture wise as it does when on display, but I doubt you will notice as when it’s set up in your room there’s nothing else to compare with, but 4K is outdated now anyway, as 8k TVs are now on sale..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Not so much a warm-up time as a boot-up time these days?
That's why I said "set up" time

Originally Posted by mart ->
Is that an OLED or LED TV?
No idea. - Also I was mistaken about the size it is not 75" but 55". Here is the box so you can look it up:

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	H8r3Qn3w.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	14230  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 01:23 PM

Are ‘pixels’ old hat now? I remember it used to be, the less pixels the better the picture.

Two years ago, I did change to a Panasonic 50" 4K Ultra HD Smart television but l had to send it back as the picture hurt my eyes as if it wasn’t in focus.
I still have my 40” dinosaur Panasonic Plasma television that l watch via SkyQ. The picture is perfect and better than the television, l returned.
Like the kettles, l posted about being a minefield, television’s aren’t far behind with all their different permutations!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Pixels are the current tech. The more the better, providing there is the signal source to take advantage of the increased number.

I think you're right about the permutations. If I'm going to part with around £1000 upwards for a (probably OLED) 55" TV, I want to be sure the right choice is made. Not in any hurry though. What I already have is pretty decent.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 07:37 PM

Hi

My new TV is a Sony, as cheap as chips during Black Friday and is hugely better than my older LG which cost much more.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My new TV is a Sony, as cheap as chips during Black Friday and is hugely better than my older LG which cost much more.
I am not sure I would describe then as cheap as chips, I think I paid $1200(ish) for my TV a year ago (halve for pounds) but you are right, you certainly get more for your buck as time goes on.

When I bought it the shop had three versions of the same model at slightly different prices (I think it was just over $150 difference between them). I did what most people do and bought the middle model though to be honest I could not see the difference in picture quality between the top and bottom models.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure I would describe then as cheap as chips, I think I paid $1200(ish) for my TV a year ago (halve for pounds) but you are right, you certainly get more for your buck as time goes on.

When I bought it the shop had three versions of the same model at slightly different prices (I think it was just over $150 difference between them). I did what most people do and bought the middle model though to be honest I could not see the difference in picture quality between the top and bottom models.
Hi

Apologies.

It is a Sharp Android TV. not a Sony

Stlll brilliant for me.

So much much better picture and so many more functions.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Apologies.

It is a Sharp Android TV. not a Sony

Stlll brilliant for me.

So much much better picture and so many more functions.
In Europe the larger Sharp TV's are actually made by UMC, usually in Poland and the same manufacturer that makes Blaupunkt-branded TV's.
TBH they are on a par with Vestel TV's which are in the same ballpark price bracket.

Companies like Sony, Philips, LG and Samsung tend to make their own TV's and that is why in all reviews the major brands like these invariably come out receiving the best reviews.

You would hope that a modern, new TV with smart features is indeed better than older technology BUT just because what you have purchased suits your needs and looks better to your eyes does not mean that it will suit everybody equally.

If it suits you then fine; after all it's your TV.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

The price difference could be to do with what processor is used. There's a brief description of each here (scroll down the page a bit). It might all be splitting hairs.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/f...-upscaling-tvs
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 09:48 PM

I've got a hd ready Hitachi with a android box to make it a smart tv for prime, well done swims for embracing modern technology

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top