Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 01:54 AM

Chickens go into lockdown

From the 14th of this month all chickens must be houses in a place with netting so as they have no contact with wild birds because of Avian Flu.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 06:14 AM

Re: Chickens go into lockdown

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
From the 14th of this month all chickens must be houses in a place with netting so as they have no contact with wild birds because of Avian Flu.
Hi

My understanding is different, they must be protected from any risk, which means cages with a solid covering.

Sabina has put all the chickens and ducks into the barns.

They can still be sold as Free Range until Christmas.

The small keepers are just ptting a sheet of plastic over the runs.

This protects them and is fine.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Do they have to wear masks and observe social distancing?...

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

There is a good article in Farmers Weekly explaining about this.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/poul...om-14-december

Personally, I don't see how any poultry can (or should) be sold labelled as 'Free Range' when it's not!
It's all about money, because they can charge more for free range.
Free range should not mean locked up in an outbuilding never seeing sunshine, or eating fresh food, all it's short life.

I realise they could contract bird flu if they are let outside, but they are also likely to get disease from being cooped up in crowded conditions inside too.
Any disease one bird has, will spread like wildfire when they are all crammed in in close proximity - much the same as it does in humans.
In fact, they are advising poultry be kept in the very conditions they are advising (and forcing) humans to avoid!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Made me laugh today Sly old grey fox
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Made me laugh today Sly old grey fox
My pleasure Minxy....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I love that, but poor bird can't peck at the ground, hope it's allowed to remove it to eat.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top