Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Re: The UK Has Nuclear Options Against EU Hostility

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We need to pay our debts JBR, if we've agreed ti something then we should honour it to maintain our international reputation. No doubt there will be sum owed to us also for investments over the years, particularly to the European Bank, so hopefully not all one sided.

Oh, and I do wish you would stop referring to the French as "the frogs", it's most childish and quite insulting to the majority, who probably hate their politicians just as much as we do!
Although I agree with your sentiment, when you can point me to where the EU have honoured anything owed to the UK (and there is quite a bit worthy of consideration) I will be happy to accept that the UK honours the EU's requests.

So far I have seen no such evidence; in fact the EU refuse to honour their obligations regarding (for just one example) the EU Investment Bank and instead we will not see the sum of nearing £4 billion refunded until 2054.

Then there is this:
https://fullfact.org/europe/no-deal-...-bill-payment/
Note if you will the "but you said" argument and remember that in context that applies equally to the EU who - in order to secure commitment - promised a trade deal in return in the Political Declaration wgich runs alongside the WA.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 02:58 PM

We need to pay our debts JBR, if we've agreed ti something then we should honour it to maintain our international reputation. No doubt there will be sum owed to us also for investments over the years, particularly to the European Bank, so hopefully not all one sided.

Oh, and I do wish you would stop referring to the French as "the frogs", it's most childish and quite insulting to the majority, who probably hate their politicians just as much as we do!
Out international reputation would be much better if we refused to pay unelected bullies money we don't owe them.

Most things in the negotiations have been agreed with a huge amount of good-will by the UK, only for the EU to change their mind on what was being offered when we agreed to them. The 39 billion was a good example, it was supposed to be in exchange for a Canada style trade deal, that Tusk offered and then took away.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I wonder what they want in exchange Cinders??
Free fishing for a year maybe ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Pollacks to that, possibly the sole reason.

Unaccompanied traffic continues to be allowed into France.

All traffic into the UK is currently unaffected by restrictions.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 03:47 PM

I suppose that it is predictable that some people will be taking the EU's side and suggesting that we pay them £39 billion for nothing in return.

Nevertheless, I still retain my opinion that we owe them nothing if we don't receive a free trade deal comparable to those offered to other countries.

I often wonder why some British people seem to favour the Frogs over our own people. They are, after all, our historical enemy as has been shown over the past forty years.

Go on, then. Give then £39 billion and throw in our fishing areas too, and we'll agree to remain subject to the ECJ.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 04:00 PM

Barry,

The French have been called Frogs for quite a long time.

It's a bit of fun, as the following definition suggests".

They even call themselves Frogs, in my experience!

"French people are called ‘frogs’ because of their famous dish frogs legs (or, cuisses de grenouilles in French). So, the English tease them about eating something that seems extraordinary and weird to them. It is much like how we are known as ‘les rosbifs’ (roast beefs) because that is a typical English dish."
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Barry,

The French have been called Frogs for quite a long time.

It's a bit of fun, as the following definition suggests".

They even call themselves Frogs, in my experience!

"French people are called ‘frogs’ because of their famous dish frogs legs (or, cuisses de grenouilles in French). So, the English tease them about eating something that seems extraordinary and weird to them. It is much like how we are known as ‘les rosbifs’ (roast beefs) because that is a typical English dish."

We are called roast beef because of the colour our skin goes when we are sun burned
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We are called roast beef because of the colour our skin goes when we are sun burned
True, not a "Childish Insult", merely a bit of fun.

Enjoyed by both sides.(especially the dishes mentioned)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Pollacks to that, possibly the sole reason.

Unaccompanied traffic continues to be allowed into France.

All traffic into the UK is currently unaffected by restrictions.
So no problem with Xmas shopping then !!
What about UK trucks going out?
I keep seeing video of miles of trucks queuing at Dover on TV!!
Do you think the trucking companies are sending their empty lorries
down there to cause shyte for Boris ??
Or is it ancient video reused by the BBC! ( Boris Bashing Corporation?)

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 04:21 PM

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Could be a bit of both Donks. I'm just wondering how many French truckers are stuck in Kent along with all the Hungarian, Polish, Bulgarian, German, Dutch trucks returning home. And what of the Calais side? No real mention of that on the Brussels Broadcasting Corp's news sites.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

21-12-2020, 04:24 PM

Donkeyman! 👍👍

Stupid stunt by the French to try and force Boris to sign up to a crap deal. Its a "this is what your going to get if you don't give us control of your fishing grounds" except Macron caved in after 24 hours and is now trying to rectify the situation with an "emergency protocol" or something.

Watch this one back fire as Macron realises Rotterdam and Zeebruge are operating OK.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top