Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 09:26 AM

Re: British Coronavirus

If what Boris says is true then the UK Virus is a pretty serious variant different to initial statements.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says the country's new variant of COVID-19 may carry a greater risk of death.

Mr Johnson said the impact of the new variant, which is already known to be more transmissible, was putting the National Health Service (NHS) under "intense pressure".

However, the Prime Minister said current evidence showed both vaccines remained effective against old and new variants.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...death/13085054

There have been some of the UK Strain identified in the people arriving for the Australian Tennis Open, fortunately it hasn't got out of hotel quarantine yet.

Personally I think it was a daft risk to allow people in for a tennis match when there are 38000 Australians trying to get home. It is a bit of an insult.

Now there is a shortage of vaccine due to production delays, not much good news on the Covid front is there?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If what Boris says is true then the UK Virus is a pretty serious variant different to initial statements.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says the country's new variant of COVID-19 may carry a greater risk of death.

Mr Johnson said the impact of the new variant, which is already known to be more transmissible, was putting the National Health Service (NHS) under "intense pressure".

However, the Prime Minister said current evidence showed both vaccines remained effective against old and new variants.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...death/13085054

There have been some of the UK Strain identified in the people arriving for the Australian Tennis Open, fortunately it hasn't got out of hotel quarantine yet.

Personally I think it was a daft risk to allow people in for a tennis match when there are 38000 Australians trying to get home. It is a bit of an insult.

Now there is a shortage of vaccine due to production delays, not much good news on the Covid front is there?
I have to agree with you there Bruce, allowing international travel for any reason is making a mockery of the lockdown. No wonder so many people are ignoring the rules...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 06:42 PM

hI

wE HAVE SHOT UP LOCALLY TO OVER 800 CASES PER 100,000
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have to agree with you there Bruce, allowing international travel for any reason is making a mockery of the lockdown. No wonder so many people are ignoring the rules...
I don't think people are disobeying the rules, of course there are a very small minority that do and they get fined.

Interesting that today the organisers of the "Invasion Day" march have been refused permission to hold an event of over 500 people (the maximum number allowed in outdoor events).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...tions/13091458

I wonder what will happen?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
hI

wE HAVE SHOT UP LOCALLY TO OVER 800 CASES PER 100,000
The UK Strain is being taken very seriously here with major efforts to keep it out of the country. The infection in Brisbane that got out of hotel quarantine was a wake up call but that seems to have been quashed now.

NZ is a bit of a worry now with the UK strain in the community, it has resulted in the Trans Tasman "bubble" being shut down and very much increased security over the remaining flights.

It is not just the UK strain but also one from South Africa that is causing concern as I understand it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 10:34 AM

Something just occured to me . . .

Why have we got a thread titled - British Coronavirus, and another thread called - Chinese Coronavirus?

Aren't they one and the same?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Why have we got a thread titled - British Coronavirus, and another thread called - Chinese Coronavirus?

Ooh don't.
We might see a "Brazilian coronavirus" and a "South African Coronavirus" thread pop up too.
And probably more as new variants surface.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

26-01-2021, 11:53 AM

Definitely not. Haven't you been listening to Boris? The newer strains are more infectious and more deadly.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:51 PM

No they aren't Mups. Each year a new strain of the flu circulates, hence the reason why we have to have a different flu vaccine every year. Covid is an airborne virus the same as flu (in fact Coronavirus has been around for years) and it will mutate each year and require big pharma to keep modifying the vaccines. One of the reasons why I will not have the covid jab, it's the thin end of the wedge, enough is enough, how many vaccines do you want to put in your body, especially since I'll probably die from a heart attack or something.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No they aren't Mups. Each year a new strain of the flu circulates, hence the reason why we have to have a different flu vaccine every year. Covid is an airborne virus the same as flu (in fact Coronavirus has been around for years) and it will mutate each year and require big pharma to keep modifying the vaccines. One of the reasons why I will not have the covid jab, it's the thin end of the wedge, enough is enough, how many vaccines do you want to put in your body, especially since I'll probably die from a heart attack or something.
They might be new strains, you're right there.
But for example flu is most generally called flu, regardless of variant.
People go for a flu jab, not a (for example) influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 jab.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-01-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
They might be new strains, you're right there.
But for example flu is most generally called flu, regardless of variant.
People go for a flu jab, not a (for example) influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 jab.
Coronavirus has been around since the 1960's as this extract explains....

Human Coronavirus Types
Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. The seven coronaviruses that can infect people are:

Common human coronaviruses
229E (alpha coronavirus)
NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
OC43 (beta coronavirus)
HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
Other human coronaviruses
MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)
People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.

Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.

And all are basically Influenza by any other name......

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top