Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Now This Is What Freedom To Act Is All About

Good on you Boris....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-supertrawlers
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 02:55 PM

Re: Now This Is What Freedom To Act Is All About

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good on you Boris....

Yep but unfortunately the Maigiris Dutch super trawler has been given a temporary license
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good on you Boris....

Good news. However, I'd still like to see all supertrawlers banned from our waters.

Then there is the other disparity, by which EU trawlers may fish within our 6 mile limit, but we may not fish within their 12 mile limits.

I shall not be happy until all EU trawlers are banned from our waters with the possible exception of limited numbers and limited catch weights allowed under licence for a limited period.

To me, this is the major failing in Boris's deal.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good news. However, I'd still like to see all supertrawlers banned from our waters.

Then there is the other disparity, by which EU trawlers may fish within our 6 mile limit, but we may not fish within their 12 mile limits.

I shall not be happy until all EU trawlers are banned from our waters with the possible exception of limited numbers and limited catch weights allowed under licence for a limited period.

To me, this is the major failing in Boris's deal.

It looks that way but I'm hanging in there until the fishing arrangements are finalised and are public.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 03:56 PM

I hope this pulse beam ban applies to ALL countries' trawlers not just ours and the EUs.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

01-01-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I hope this pulse beam ban applies to ALL countries' trawlers not just ours and the EUs.
EU banned it aswell but from June this year.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

01-01-2021, 06:18 PM

The thing is, is that if our fishing stocks aren't cleaned out by the EU fleet they will be by the UK fleet. What we need is a conservation and sustainability policy implementing now to allow our stocks to recover after the 40 years of over fishing they have had.

We need to implement the common fisheries bill in full, reduce TAC limits and ban the super trawlers and pelagic freezer ships. That means more for the smaller boats while overall limits are reduced.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The thing is, is that if our fishing stocks aren't cleaned out by the EU fleet they will be by the UK fleet. What we need is a conservation and sustainability policy implementing now to allow our stocks to recover after the 40 years of over fishing they have had.

We need to implement the common fisheries bill in full, reduce TAC limits and ban the super trawlers and pelagic freezer ships. That means more for the smaller boats while overall limits are reduced.
I agree, except that the UK fleet won't be in such a position for many years as we don't have that many boats.

We should stop all foreign/EU fishing in our waters, but let our own trawlers continue and allow them time to expand their facilities.

Naturally, any foreign-owned vessels registered in the UK and flying our flag should not be included.

If and when the UK fleet grows to an appropriate size to provide for our own needs and, importantly, not be a threat to the continuation of fish stocks in our waters, they should not be permitted to expand further.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

01-01-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, except that the UK fleet won't be in such a position for many years as we don't have that many boats.

We should stop all foreign/EU fishing in our waters, but let our own trawlers continue and allow them time to expand their facilities.

Naturally, any foreign-owned vessels registered in the UK and flying our flag should not be included.

If and when the UK fleet grows to an appropriate size to provide for our own needs and, importantly, not be a threat to the continuation of fish stocks in our waters, they should not be permitted to expand further.

The UK fleet will plunder the stocks just like the EU fleet has. We are no saints when it comes to fishing, I make to excuses here. Regulation must come first.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-01-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The UK fleet will plunder the stocks just like the EU fleet has. We are no saints when it comes to fishing, I make to excuses here. Regulation must come first.
I agree, but as I said, we don't have enough boats right now to plunder anything!

I don't see why it couldn't be possible to allow our fishing people expand to a safe limit which would ensure the continued provision of a suitable number of fish for the future.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top