Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 08:51 PM

Return devolved powers to Westminster

To be more accurate this is about a petition requesting a referendum upon whether or not to return devolved powers to Westminster.

This is related to Brexit because the devolved governments - especially Scotland - seem determined to suggest that they have power where in fact they have none and have done since the Brexit referendum.
They have deliberately interfered and caused damage and even now continue to mislead their own citizens by any method available.
Without Brexit this question is unlikely to have arisen at this point in time.

If you are of such a mind that you feel that these devolved nations are abusing their powers, there is a new petition asking the government to hold a referendum on whether or not to return devolved powers.

I know that the likelihood is that it will never happen BUT it might just show those disingenuous opportunists that their is a significant number opposed to their stance.
It will also show them tat there's a possibility that a democratic majority can take away what powers they do have; then maybe they will learn to appreciate them more.
(I know; and pigs might fly.)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...signatures/new
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 09:54 PM

Re: Return devolved powers to Westminster

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
To be more accurate this is about a petition requesting a referendum upon whether or not to return devolved powers to Westminster.

This is related to Brexit because the devolved governments - especially Scotland - seem determined to suggest that they have power where in fact they have none and have done since the Brexit referendum.
They have deliberately interfered and caused damage and even now continue to mislead their own citizens by any method available.
Without Brexit this question is unlikely to have arisen at this point in time.

If you are of such a mind that you feel that these devolved nations are abusing their powers, there is a new petition asking the government to hold a referendum on whether or not to return devolved powers.

I know that the likelihood is that it will never happen BUT it might just show those disingenuous opportunists that their is a significant number opposed to their stance.
It will also show them tat there's a possibility that a democratic majority can take away what powers they do have; then maybe they will learn to appreciate them more.
(I know; and pigs might fly.)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...signatures/new
Signed.
Though there are only 4,400 so far.

I think BLiar's idea was yet another one to cause disagreements and disruption, and the Fish Woman has certainly lived up to expectations.

Personally, I'd never agree to devolved parliaments, at least not until a Yorkshire Parliament is suggested!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 10:27 PM

I think you should be apologising to the Scots rather than condemning them. The majority showed loyalty to the UK in their independence referendum, and then they get stabbed in the back by being dragged out of the EU. Devolved power is the least they are entitled to.

I don't have any particulay sympathy towards Scotland, by the way, I'm just trying to think about it from their point of view.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 07:58 AM

Hi

I find the logic wrong.

We voted to take back Control.

The devolved Countries are merely doing the same.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 08:34 AM

I dont think revoking devolved powers would be helpful not in the least. I agree though JBR freedom for Yorkshire
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 10:53 AM

I think it is a daft idea to sign this petition. Why not campaign for an English Parliament? somewhere in the Midlands say? Gawd you could even become a democracy by getting rid of the swill in the House of Lords!

Reduce Westminster's influence to matters such foreign affairs and matters involving the UK as a whole eg industrial relations, electoral matters. taxation etc.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I dont think revoking devolved powers would be helpful not in the least. I agree though JBR freedom for Yorkshire
How do you feel about Scotland receiving more financial support (Barnett) than each of the English regions?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I think you should be apologising to the Scots rather than condemning them. The majority showed loyalty to the UK in their independence referendum, and then they get stabbed in the back by being dragged out of the EU. Devolved power is the least they are entitled to.

I don't have any particulay sympathy towards Scotland, by the way, I'm just trying to think about it from their point of view.
I am a Scot.

In case you missed it, it is the SNP and others of a similar nature that I condemn along with their underhanded tactics and propaganda which has led so many of the more susceptible into their support of these disruptive parties.

The only point of view you will see by far the most frequently is that of these deliberately disruptive parties and their supporters, most notably Scotland's SNP.

So if you really want "to think about it from their point of view" then you might like to consider that most Scots actually voted to remain in the UK when asked, but they see extremely little or in fact nothing to support this majority opinion in the British media.
All the majority see is publicity for the minority seeking division.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

03-01-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I find the logic wrong.

We voted to take back Control.

The devolved Countries are merely doing the same.
But they are doing it against the will of the majority AND without opposition.

Look at Wales if you would: it acheived devolution after a vote in 1997.
A vote where the "Aye's" won by the very slim margin of 50.3% to the "Nay's" 49.7% - but those figures are from only 50.22% turnout!
So only 25% of the Welsh population felt strongly enough to vote for devolution, yet it was implemented!

If that's what you call a majority there is something very wrong somewhere.
The reality is that - as in Scotland - the majority are silent and have no voice.
It is time that these majorities (or however you wish to describe them) were given a voice.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

03-01-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
In fairness and to explain more fully, neither do I.
It would create far more problems than it would solve.

BUT

We have seen the divisions cause by Brexit and by devolution.
It really is time that more honesty was somehow forced upon those that seem intent purely upon disruption, since for years they have had free hand to promote themselves without real opposition.

As I say in the OP: it might just show those disingenuous opportunists that their remains a significant number opposed to their stance.
It will also remind them that there is always the possibility that a democratic majority can take away what powers they do have; then maybe they will learn to appreciate them more.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top