Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 02:22 AM

Re: I Am Feeding 'my' garden Birds Again.

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We were awoken to an awful racket.Two young Black Cockatoos demanding to be fed by their parents and they were all in the tree outside our window.They like the small grubs under the bark and it took a long time before they were satisfied.
Gosh how lucky you are these are quite a rare bird .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 02:27 AM

My garden now is shades of Alfred Hitchcock back yard with the corvids
But they are eating stuff like no tomorrow I shall have to elk it out somewhat under the next delivery comes
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gosh how lucky you are these are quite a rare bird .
We rarely ever saw them but the pine trees which were planted as wind breaks year ago are being cut down everywhere.They like the seeds in pine cones and we've still got some trees left around here and we are benefiting from their search for food.So it's not good really.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:05 PM

But they are eating stuff like no tomorrow I shall have to elk it out somewhat under the next delivery comes
That sounds scary. We only get those occasionally and usually just the one. They frighten the little birds away and even the squirrels run off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:07 PM

The garden is alive all the time with squirrels, small birds, some pigeons. In the Autumn my favourite were two visiting Jays. So beautiful. They like peanuts and sunflower hearts but for some reason none of them like the mixed birdseeds much.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2021, 02:44 AM

I don’t put peanuts out because they get left and go mouldy which is bad for birds. We used to have a squirrel a few years back ( he liked the peanuts ) but he doesn’t come anymore.

Yes the rooks jackdaws and crows come like a black cloud in large nos but they don’t eat the small seeds so the little birds come out once they are gone .

I also put out Niger seeds as I understand finches like them but they seem to get left .

Haven’t seen a jay for years .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 02:03 PM

I don’t put peanuts out because they get left and go mouldy which is bad for birds. We used to have a squirrel a few years back ( he liked the peanuts ) but he doesn’t come anymore.

Yes the rooks jackdaws and crows come like a black cloud in large nos but they don’t eat the small seeds so the little birds come out once they are gone .

I also put out Niger seeds as I understand finches like them but they seem to get left .

Same happens here with the Niger seed Muddy, it always got left so I don't buy it any more.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We were awoken to an awful racket.Two young Black Cockatoos demanding to be fed by their parents and they were all in the tree outside our window.They like the small grubs under the bark and it took a long time before they were satisfied.
How brilliant to get Cockatoos in the garden.

Same here, they frighten off the little birds too.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The garden is alive all the time with squirrels, small birds, some pigeons. In the Autumn my favourite were two visiting Jays. So beautiful. They like peanuts and sunflower hearts but for some reason none of them like the mixed birdseeds much.
I saw a Squirrel just now i next doors garden, but it didn't come here, don't think it's twigged yet that I have food now.

I find peanuts don't get eaten too. Niger seeds too, they used to be eaten by the Goldfinches, but now they seem to prefer husk free Sunflower seeds.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same happens here with the Niger seed Muddy, it always got left so I don't buy it any more.
I have no idea why the Goldfinches don't eat the Niger now.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 03:56 PM

The male Blackcap came back.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2021, 06:00 PM

I have never seen a blackcap .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top