Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:39 PM

Re: Do you wash?

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
A lot of the advice that is out there regarding the virus and it's effects on food packaging and other materials and surfaces is based in my opinion on scientific research done on the winter flu. There is decades of research on the winter flu and how it can spread to others but there is NO effective research done with covid-19 because there just has not been enough time to research how the virus spreads to others when it comes to handling things. The only research experts can fall back on is that of the winter flu because both viruses are very similar in symptoms, just that one is more deadlier than the other.

Hence why the experts say that on some surfaces, the virus can stay present for 3 days, others a few hours, others 24 to 72 hrs. This advice falls inline with the same advice given about the winter flu.

Therefore I am curious to know, those of you who are cleaning the food packaging, how many of you cleaned your food packaging prior to covid-19? because catching the winter flu is just as deadly, it kills approximately 20,000 to 44,000 people in the UK every year (official stats on government website). Warehouse workers, delivery drivers and other shop staff can have the winter flu, cough all over the products and I bet no one cleaned the products when getting them home.

Dodge, what's your theory on why we haven't heard a word about any Flu victims this year?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Art, I don't clean all those things every day, I'm not that bad.
Sometimes when I am out, my mobile might ring, or I might need to make a call or send a text, so when I get home I give the casing a quick wipe over as I had been using it while outside and with unwashed hands.

I wipe my mouse and keyboard over occasionally anyway, even before Covid, as I do my landline phone too.

I do however wet-wipe my ignition key, steering wheel, and handbrake, as I would have been handling things in shops, and not washed my hands yet.
It's hardly a days work, it only takes a few seconds.
Mups, Thanks for that.
Now where’s my mobile phone, l think it’s time it had a bath!!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:49 PM

Dodge, what's your theory on why we haven't heard a word about any Flu victims this year?
I do believe many people have died from the winter flu but the statistics are never talked about until the government produce the official figures. On the death certificates, there are tick boxes for the most common causes of death and there are also text boxes where the doctor can write in the cause of death if the cause is not a common one.

The government have already stated that there has been approx. 80,000 deaths in the UK so far but not all of them are covid related. I have no doubt a fair number of them are winter flu deaths.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, Thanks for that.
Now where’s my mobile phone, l think it’s time it had a bath!!
I think it was Which? magazine that did a study that said a persons mobile phone, their computer keyboard and mouse were the dirtiest items in people's homes and work places.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:53 PM

I do believe many people have died from the winter flu but the statistics are never talked about until the government produce the official figures. On the death certificates, there are tick boxes for the most common causes of death and there are also text boxes where the doctor can write in the cause of death if the cause is not a common one.

The government have already stated that there has been approx. 80,000 deaths in the UK so far but not all of them are covid related. I have no doubt a fair number of them are winter flu deaths.

Thanks Dodge.
I felt sure there must still be the Flu about this year, but I've never heard a word about it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 11:55 PM

I think it was Which? magazine that did a study that said a persons mobile phone, their computer keyboard and mouse were the dirtiest items in people's homes and work places.

I'm not surprised Dodge.
These things are used daily, and probably have months (or more) dirty hand marks over them.

We all know to wash our hands when we get home, but we often use our mobiles before we get home to wash. Same as things in the car.
As I said to Art, you haven't got to make a big deal of it, it only takes a few seconds.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:47 AM

I occasionally wipe over my phone and iPad screens, and my key boards, with wipes. My personal hygiene is very good, though, but just do it to keep germ free. I use a glove in the bathroom, press the cistern button with a knuckle, and give that a spray with anti bac now and then.

You’re right, that we use our phones outside, having probably touched something else. I have one of those no touch keys, that I use on ATMs or card reader, if needed. Oh, must phone my brother, see if he managed to find one.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 12:05 PM

Hi

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nd31august2020
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 12:56 PM

I'm not surprised Dodge.
These things are used daily, and probably have months (or more) dirty hand marks over them.

We all know to wash our hands when we get home, but we often use our mobiles before we get home to wash. Same as things in the car.
As I said to Art, you haven't got to make a big deal of it, it only takes a few seconds.
Mups, no one has still attempted to answer the question, if you have a virus on your hands, how many individual objects can it be attached to, before there is no more left on the hand?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-01-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Mups, no one has still attempted to answer the question, if you have a virus on your hands, how many individual objects can it be attached to, before there is no more left on the hand?

Trust you to think of that.

I have no idea, I suppose it would depend on how much bacteria on your skin in the first place, what sort it was, and whether you were plastered in germs, or just one!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top