Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Re: OK ! We are out!!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
They catch everything which swims in the area which they are working.

The fish not wanted get chucked back in, dead or alive.

There is a good film, showing how this works, on Utube.

Some have their trawl dragging along the sea bed and ripping off any shellfish which happen to be there.
Hi

The super trawlers working in our waters catch pelagic fish, not bottom dwellers.

They are very efficient and also very easy to control,

You have inspectors on board, they are limiyed in by catch and fined heavily if they go over the limit, and then stopped of they continue.

The bycatch is not tipped back dead, it is processed, frozen and given to food banks.

The americans use rhis system as do the Danish around Greenland.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The super trawlers are catching fish we do not eat.

They are not an issue if correctly controlled.

Use the American System.

Every time they are fishing they have Inspectors on board who they pay for and who can shut them down.

This is not Rocket Science.
Thank you. Of course I meant supertrawlers, not supertankers!

I'm not sure about these two assertions, though.

Do they really catch only fish which we do not eat? How do their nets manage to differentiate between different types of fish? I have heard that they also, unintentionally, catch and haul up dolphins and porpoises, etc., which then die through suffocation.

Are you sure that they have inspectors on board to monitor their fishing? British or EU inspectors?

If both of these things are true and provable, I suppose the supertrawlers are more acceptable. I can't say that I have read such things elsewhere, though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=JBR;2017837]Thank you. Of course I meant supertrawlers, not supertankers!

Do they really catch only fish which we do not eat? How do their nets manage to differentiate between different types of fish? I have heard that they also, unintentionally, catch and haul up dolphins and porpoises, etc., which then die through suffocation.

Are you sure that they have inspectors on board to monitor their fishing? British or EU inspectors?

If both of these things are true and provable, I suppose the supertrawlers are more acceptable. I can't say that I have read such things elsewhere, though.[/QUOTEHi

We do not have inspectors on board, other countries do , the Americans in particular.

These supertrawlers cost around a £100k a day to operate, shutting them down is very costly to the owners.

They have very sophisticted sonar and fishfinders have have real time video of what is going in the nets.

All we need is Enforcement.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The UK Government issued the licenses on a temporary basis, then the EU and UK fleet will have to apply for proper ones in the near future.

We should ban the supertrawlers as soon as they apply for licenses
I've just Googled the question, "Who issues temporary sea fishing licences for EU boats?" and got this hit, which will probably not work as it's a .pdf download:
Temporary licence to fish in UK waters - EU Vessel - Gov.uk
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › attachment_data › file

The first para reads: Temporary foreign vessel licence granted by the Scottish Ministers, Welsh Ministers, the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs in Northern Ireland and the Marine Management Organisation in accordance with Section 17 of the Fisheries Act 2020.

It goes on to say: Communicated to the EU Commission in accordance with regulation 3(3A) of the Sea Fishing (Licences and Notices) (England) Regulations 2012, regulation 3(1A) of the Sea Fishing (Licences and Notices) (Scotland) Regulations 2011, regulation 3(4B) of the Sea Fishing (Licences and Notices) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2014 and regulation 3 of the Sea Fishing (Licences and Notices) (Wales) Regulations 2019.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Originally Posted by JBR ->

If both of these things are true and provable, I suppose the supertrawlers are more acceptable. I can't say that I have read such things elsewhere, though.
We do not have inspectors on board, other countries do , the Americans in particular.

These supertrawlers cost around a £100k a day to operate, shutting them down is very costly to the owners.

They have very sophisticted sonar and fishfinders have have real time video of what is going in the nets.

Thank you.

It sounds like our problems are not yet over then.
Boris should pull his finger out and ban them now, while we still have some fish left in our waters.

Or is he afraid of upsetting the Frogs? (Apparently, his dad wants to emigrate to France!)
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 05:03 PM

MP's have already asked Boris to look into making the necessary changes to ban what are described as "supertrawlers" and a range of options are under consideration, we have been told.

Add that to the pressure from other sources asking for a ban and the media publicity it's getting along with a petition and including Greenpeace's input, and I'm pretty sure we will see something arranged reasonably quickly.

As Swimfeeders rightly says, there are other demands on time too at the moment and personally I would far rather this subject take a little longer and be resolved effectively rather than see it rushed and open to abuse.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
MP's have already asked Boris to look into making the necessary changes to ban what are described as "supertrawlers" and a range of options are under consideration, we have been told.

Add that to the pressure from other sources asking for a ban and the media publicity it's getting along with a petition and including Greenpeace's input, and I'm pretty sure we will see something arranged reasonably quickly.

As Swimfeeders rightly says, there are other demands on time too at the moment and personally I would far rather this subject take a little longer and be resolved effectively rather than see it rushed and open to abuse.
Hi

Thank you Zaphod.

We are miles apart on our PoliticaJ Views, but it is a pleasur
e to negotiate with you.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;2017841]
Originally Posted by JBR ->

If both of these things are true and provable, I suppose the supertrawlers are more acceptable. I can't say that I have read such things elsewhere, though.[/QUOTEHi

Greenpeace have reported many instances of super trawlers with
their trawls down working in the marine reserves in our waters
Swimmy??
Greenpeace monitor their movements on a regular basis and
publish their findings in environmental papers, most of which
incriminate the trawlers behaviour??
Why do they find it necessary to enter a known reserve???
BTW, Bread is looking for a fishing trip you owe him??

Donkeyman! !👎👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

You think it is not being abused allready then Zaph???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You think it is not being abused allready then Zaph???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
It is not abuse if it is both legal and currently acceptable.
So no, the use of so-called super trawlers is not an abuse of the system.
Not with laws as they stand now.

The system needs to change, it really is that simple.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top