Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 08:57 AM

Re: Can You Whistle?

Yes I have a really loud whistle when I put my thumb and finger in my mouth I've tried to teach my granddaughters too ! ( naughty nanny) they think it's great.

I was on the bus recently the driver was whistling ( trilling) as he drove , I thanked him as I got off the bus his whistling was very good .

Edited to add I had a friend who hated her husbands constant whistle and divorced him !
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 09:53 AM

Yes, I was the Tomboy and learnt my father’s whistle perfectly. A real copycat. You couldn’t tell our whistle apart. My dogs heed my whistle.

My late dad used to whistle for my mum in the supermarket if they went down different aisles so that she could find him again.

This past Christmas, I visited my mum and we were in the shops. We were separated and I started whistling for her using my dad’s whistle.

She eventually found me and was very tearful because I had brought back memories of her time with my Dad. Good memories.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
For years I called my dogs with a good ear splitting whistle.

First two fingers of each hand produced a beauty, you could have heard in the next village nearly!
When I lived on the farm and had 7 GSD's, whistling was easier than trying to shout if they were playing about any distance down the field.

Can't seem to do it these days though, so had to buy a whistle.
I use (or used) the same way to produce a loud whistle. Later, I learned to get a loud whistle by making the tongue into a 'U' shape against the teeth and blowing. I can still whistle loudly either way after a few attempts.

I learned the two finger method after being impressed by my Dad when he whistled for a taxi in London. He was very smartly dressed at the time with his suit and trilby on. The last person you would have thought could produce a whistle like that.

I'm no Roger Whittaker when it comes to whistling a tune though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzKQfrNseoI
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 10:51 AM

I can whistle through pursed lips and can whistle two distinctly different notes. Like the beginning of a descending scale.
Sadly I can't achieve anything that remotely resembles a tune
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
If you can or used to, what is/was your method of whistling? Pursing your lips and use your whistle as a command or to whistle a happy tune?

Fingers or thumbs in your teeth to produce a shrill loud whistle? I could never do that one! Besides, l thought that method of whistling was very unfeminine!

Or, do you whistle through your teeth

When are you most likely to whistle? Are you an annoying whistler?

Do you believe in this following saying....
‘A whistling woman and a crowing hen are neither fit for God nor men’!
Oddly, Whistling was Mutiny for sailors!

"The practice of whistling is forbidden in HM ships because the noise is apt to be confused with the piping of orders. It is usually anything but sweet, except in the ears of the perpetrator, and is more often than not a cause of annoyance to his messmates."

So all of you whistlers (including Whistler's Mother) could be put in chains!

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Yes, I was the Tomboy and learnt my father’s whistle perfectly. A real copycat. You couldn’t tell our whistle apart. My dogs heed my whistle.

My late dad used to whistle for my mum in the supermarket if they went down different aisles so that she could find him again.

This past Christmas, I visited my mum and we were in the shops. We were separated and I started whistling for her using my dad’s whistle.

She eventually found me and was very tearful because I had brought back memories of her time with my Dad. Good memories.
We have a family whistle that R Mar started when I was a kid. If my brother and I heard it, we would know it was time to go home for tea.

All my family know it and use it to attract each other's attention, or if we are trying to locate another member of the family who is out of sight.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 11:29 AM

I'm not as good at whistling a choon as I used to be. I loved the whistling in the Spaghetti Westerns and I would whistle the theme tunes to all of them and some of the incidental music as well.

I can sometimes do a loud whistle using my finger and thumb, but more often than not it just comes out as a sort of gasp.

I can still do a good raspberry though using tongue and lips. Does that count?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 11:42 AM

I have whistled with four fingers in my mouth.

Also can whistle with lips pouted.

I can also whistle with a blade of grass.......and make daisy chains.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:05 PM

I nearly mentioned making a whistle through a piece of grass in my opening post. Yes, l can do that with the grass!

Does anyone remember, ‘Whistling Willie’, the school teacher in the radio show, ’The Clitheroe Kid’? He whistled whilst he spoke.
I can do that!!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

12-01-2021, 12:36 PM

I remember the Clitheroe Kid on radio and TV, but not the whistling teacher, although I have heard other people who whistle through a gap in their teeth whilst speaking, especially if someone has recently had a front tooth removed and are not used to it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top