Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:51 PM

Re: One in eight people in England had Covid antibodies by December

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You can get a private antibody test. Not sure whether they are any good.

I've also wondered whether I had covid a few months ago as have had various aches and pains. Not sure whether some of us are having strange symptoms because of covid or because of lockdown....
Chicken and egg syndrome Annie....

I think that saying one in eight people in England have displayed antibodies is a bit of a sweeping statement. The test sample was extremely small considering the size of the population, it could be miles wide of the mark.

And how did they know the antibodies were a response to covid? It could have been a response to colds or flu. This suggests to me that the tests are too sensitive and will give a positive reading up to eight weeks after the virus has been destroyed (I heard a scientist saying this on radio 4) long after the patient stopped being infectious.
Bear in mind that quarantine is only required for 10 days...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:55 PM

You can get a private antibody test. Not sure whether they are any good.

I've also wondered whether I had covid a few months ago as have had various aches and pains. Not sure whether some of us are having strange symptoms because of covid or because of lockdown....
Thanks, I'd be interested to see.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Chicken and egg syndrome Annie....

I think that saying one in eight people in England have displayed antibodies is a bit of a sweeping statement. The test sample was extremely small considering the size of the population, it could be miles wide of the mark.

And how did they know the antibodies were a response to covid? It could have been a response to colds or flu. This suggests to me that the tests are too sensitive and will give a positive reading up to eight weeks after the virus has been destroyed (I heard a scientist saying this on radio 4) long after the patient stopped being infectious.
Bear in mind that quarantine is only required for 10 days...
I don't think we will ever really get to the bottom of the truth with the antibody issue. Some people seem to have them for months for others they go after a few weeks. At one point they thought this was the holy grail of testing and then they found that there's a glitch in this dratted virus.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:59 PM

I don't think we will ever really get to the bottom of the truth with the antibody issue. Some people seem to have them for months for others they go after a few weeks. At one point they thought this was the holy grail of testing and then they found that there's a glitch in this dratted virus.
Thanks Annie, I'm off to bed now, I can't keep my eyes open......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thanks, I'd be interested to see.
Superdrug do one that's posted to you for £69

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/c...body-test.html
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-01-2021, 11:02 PM

Thanks Annie, I'm off to bed now, I can't keep my eyes open......
That'll be the long covid OGF...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:39 PM

How can they say one in eight unless they have tested everyone in England?
They forgot me for a start.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 01:19 AM

What was the size of the test sample .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 01:32 AM

And how did they know the antibodies were a response to covid? It could have been a response to colds or flu.
https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/payg/covid-testing

How does the test work?

The COVID-19 antibody test looks for the presence of specific antibodies in the blood for the SARS-Cov-2 virus (the virus that causes COVID-19). The presence of antibodies in a blood test helps identify those who have been previously infected by COVID-19. You’ll either receive a positive (antibodies detected) or a negative result (antibodies not detected).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-01-2021, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
What was the size of the test sample .....
They tested 8 people and one had antibodies. At least I think that's how they worked this out....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top