Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:04 PM

Re: Life Choices.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
To everything there is a season. It's hard for some of us to recognise that we are entering the season in which it is time to chill out and start to just say "eff it" rather than try to change it or even confront it.

That's quite subtle for you, Todger.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's quite subtle for you, Todger.
LOL! Thanks!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
To everything there is a season. It's hard for some of us to recognise that we are entering the season in which it is time to chill out and start to just say "eff it" rather than try to change it or even confront it.
Ok you imposter- where’s the real TAT? You hacked his account didn’t you?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Prompted by ST this morning.

She is very insightful.

This is not an area I would choose to live in.

It is however ideal for my Epileptic Son, who cannot drive, so walking distance of everything.

It is also a much smaller house, I was pinging about on my own in a huge place.

When I moved here I was fit and active and took no flack at all from the local prats.

It was not scary, born in Chadderton, moved to Huddersfield, worked in Burmantofts and Chapletown in Leeds.

I could cope with the few local prats no bother.

They are sharp eyed however and the number of Ambulances arriving marked me out as a Victim.

My street cred has gone down since July last year.

I am improving, but it will take some time to get back to where I was.

I will do it, but a bit at a time.
You most certainly cannot be bullied into paying a toll to be left in peace. Perhaps it’s time to move Swimmy?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Swim, we all reach a stage in life where we notice that we can't do things as well as we used to, so it is better not to try.
I don't have any close neighbours but those who live down the lane will still smile or say good morning & I always return their pleasant actions.
I think you have a problem with one of your neighbours but the best way to deal with them is to just ignore them. You are getting older & your health problems won't be helped by getting angry with your neighbour. I am sure lots of people have neighbours they dislike, but their only alternative is to move... and then you may find you get one that is worse than the first.
You are no longer an enforcer, you are an OAP, and with your health worries, isn't it better just to ignore the neighbour & focus on yours & your son's health problems.
You can't stop the neighbour behaving badly, so just get on with your life & stop trying to challenge him... because you will never win against somebody like that.
Just remember that , if Guy decides to live there after you depart this life ( which is why you bought that house in the first place) the more you try to control the neighbour, the harder it will be for Guy!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 03:52 PM

SF, I remember you looking forward to your move, and from your description, it sounds like a nice place. You are fortunate to be in a place where you can walk. Most places in the US are now car-dependent and it can be extremely challenging for older people. Most go from the garage to work or to run errands before returning back to the garage - never to be seen. The result of that is that few of us ever run into each other for a neighborly or to cement those neighborly relationships.

Around here, we all know each other and have each other's contact information, even though we aren't particularly close. It's better to see each other not as potential foes, but as a friendly, loosely-knit support system. You never know!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:00 PM

Its useful to remember that if you ran with a gang as a youngster, you know the capabilities, so, if you encounter one later on, just best to give a wide berth.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:14 PM

Hi

Prompted by ST this morning.

She is very insightful.

This is not an area I would choose to live in.

It is however ideal for my Epileptic Son, who cannot drive, so walking distance of everything.

It is also a much smaller house, I was pinging about on my own in a huge place.

When I moved here I was fit and active and took no flack at all from the local prats.

It was not scary, born in Chadderton, moved to Huddersfield, worked in Burmantofts and Chapletown in Leeds.

I could cope with the few local prats no bother.

They are sharp eyed however and the number of Ambulances arriving marked me out as a Victim.

My street cred has gone down since July last year.

I am improving, but it will take some time to get back to where I was.

I will do it, but a bit at a time.
Wha?.... Gasp!... Y... you're a Lankie? Ne'er mind, no-one's perfect.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Swimmy my advice to you would be to stop thinking about 'street cred' and how 'tough' you were. Circumstances change, you made the move to where you are, your health has deteriorated and what you should do now is to ignore those around you who you don't get along with and concentrate on yourself and your health. You should be isolating anyway so the avoiding your unpleasant neighbours should not be difficult.

I don't know some of you elderly men, standing outside your doors like gorillas beating your chests and bellowing 'I am a tough male' just stop and enjoy the things you can quietly and let others do the same.
Agree with all that and spot on the BIB.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There are 'prats' in all areas, the answer is to avoid them as much as possible. My guess is that you create a problem wherever you go because you think you are the terminator. You are not. Time to move perhaps and next time keep your head down. You are obsessed with these drug dealers or whatever they are but I doubt they give you a second thought.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer as they say.
Spot on Dingalong.

Hi

No beating of chests on my part Meg,

I just want to be left alone to have a quiet life for myself and my son,

No Drug Dealing on my cross over, no spitting into my garden.

Simple, basic rules.

Easy to follow and not agressive at all.

I will not however be paying £5 a week not to have my car damaged and neither will I be paying £10 a week not to be mugged.

I do not threaten them, I simply explain to them exactly what will happen if they break these simple rules.
Like this?

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 09:36 PM

SF, do you EVER stop attention seeking and moaning?
Moan, moan, moan. Self, self, self. Not a day goes past without you moaning.

It's so predictable too. If the Sympathy Card for Health fails, roll out the Neighbour /Neighbourhood one.

PS I was secretly hoping that would be the next one because I had a bet that it would be.

Guess what - They lost - I won.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top