Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 08:35 PM

Water borne bacteria

I live in Mexico and even though I do NOT drink the tap water, I am curious about any impact of WASHING DISHES WITH THE LOCAL TAP WATER.

When I moved to Mexico, I almost immediately began to have diarrhea. 9 years on and the diarrhea is out-of-control. It has now become a life threatening event. Seriously.

For drinking and making ice cubes, I buy bottled water AND I also boil said water before consuming it.

Question: assuming that I wash my dishes with hot soapy water, AND allow those dishes to completely AIR DRY, how likely is it that those dishes still have some pathogen on the surface ?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 08:48 PM

Re: Water borne bacteria

I am not qualified to answer the question you ask. However, with a problem that serious I would myself get a dishwasher and use that for washing all crockery, utensils and cooking pots. It doesn't have to be a full-size one, here in the UK they are made as smaller, worktop versions for smaller families or single people, nor sure about that where you are though. The fact you are using bottled water for everything else more or less rules that out. A dishwasher washes at temperatures far higher than you could use to wash items yourself, it also dries them so they can be put away where they cannot easily be contaminated in any other way.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 09:16 PM

Bakerman, is your memory ok?

Your near identical thread dated 7 July last year is here:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=69085

and I reminded you of that thread two weeks ago in your SIBO thread (post 36) here::

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=72466&page=4

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Bakerman, is your memory ok?

Your near identical thread dated 7 July last year is here:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=69085

and I reminded you of that thread two weeks ago in your SIBO thread (post 36) here::

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=72466&page=4

I THOUGHT my memory was ok, however, I had completely forgotten about the thread I posted last year RE water bacteria. Thanks for the reminder.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am not qualified to answer the question you ask. However, with a problem that serious I would myself get a dishwasher and use that for washing all crockery, utensils and cooking pots. It doesn't have to be a full-size one, here in the UK they are made as smaller, worktop versions for smaller families or single people, nor sure about that where you are though. The fact you are using bottled water for everything else more or less rules that out. A dishwasher washes at temperatures far higher than you could use to wash items yourself, it also dries them so they can be put away where they cannot easily be contaminated in any other way.

My thoughts exactly, Baz.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I THOUGHT my memory was ok, however, I had completely forgotten about the thread I posted last year RE water bacteria. Thanks for the reminder.
... you'll have to make a note of your threads bakerman
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 02:00 AM

Bakerman your body will have adapted to local bacteria after so many years. It's usually tourists that are affected. Have you had a CT of your pancreas?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 05:00 PM

If in doubt concerning your water supply for dish washing, rinse using a well diluted sodium hypochlorite solution and allow to dry in free air. That basically will chlorine bleach them and by air drying any residual chlorine will disappear.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 05:11 PM

Good advice LD
That will kill of any lingering germs don’t think this is the problem myself but it’s an easy precaution to take .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good advice LD
That will kill of any lingering germs don’t think this is the problem myself but it’s an easy precaution to take .
Do you use the same brand of bottled water all the time bakerman ??
Or do you get it from a different source each time
Having diahorea for over a year is NOT normal !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top