Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Self-Scan

I always use the self-scan facility when I shop in Tesco; it’s quicker and easier than going through the tills. Sometimes, when you get to the checkout, you find that you’ve been selected for a random check. I found that I had been selected for a random check this morning. Among my shopping was a pack of two electric toothbrush brush heads, which had a little security tag attached. When the assistant came to check my shopping, I mentioned the tag, as I needed her to remove it. Because of that, the brushes were the first thing she checked, which got things off to a bad start because they got flagged up as not having been scanned by me. This, she told me, required her to do a complete scan of all my shopping.

I don’t know if she thought I had deliberately neglected to scan the brushes. She didn’t show any sign of thinking that, but one can’t help but wonder. If I had intentionally avoided scanning them I would, of course, have picked up a five pack, rather than a two. Anyway, she emptied all my bags, rescanned all my shopping and then repacked it considerably more neatly than I had done, which seemed some consolation for the delay.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 03:46 PM

Re: Self-Scan

I have never tried those self scan things - wary of them - they may beam me up into a parallel universe!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have never tried those self scan things - wary of them - they may beam me up into a parallel universe!
They are quite safe unless you let your grandkids go shopping with you. Specifically the kind of grandkid who likes to run up and down the aisles scanning everything in sight.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 04:00 PM

I may start to use them ,as you say, they are much quicker, unless like you have explained, a random check.

I wonder how many chancers ,have gotten away with pilfering, Harbal?,using those self scans....mind you ,we are being watched when we shop, they have surveillance cameras up.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I haven't tried them either ST .

The price of the goods I pay for in the supermarket has factored in the cost of wages.
I am not employed by the supermarket neither do I wish to see till workers deprived of their jobs and more tills becoming self scan therefore when I eventually come out of self isolation and use supermarkets I will continue to select my goods and have an assistant deal with them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 04:03 PM

Harbal, when you say self-scan, do you mean when you go to the self scan tills at the end when you have finished shopping, or are you talking about those hand-held gadgets you take round with you and scan things as you go along?

If it is the second one, like Tabs said, I daren't try those, wouldn't have a clue how they work.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

The price of the goods I pay for in the supermarket has factored in the cost of wages.
I am not employed by the supermarket neither do I wish to see till workers deprived of their jobs and more tills becoming self scan therefore when I eventually come out of self isolation and use supermarkets I will continue to select my goods and have an assistant deal with them
Good point, Meg.

Have to confess I have used self service tills when I have had only a couple of items, been in a hurry, and seen long queues at the regular till.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Harbal, when you say self-scan, do you mean when you go to the self scan tills at the end when you have finished shopping, or are you talking about those hand-held gadgets you take round with you and scan things as you go along?

If it is the second one, like Tabs said, I daren't try those, wouldn't have a clue how they work.
Mups I don't use either, it's bad enough having to search for things in the first place without having to pause to weigh and scan things.
As to the 'self serve' tills I have tried them a couple of times when popping in for a couple of items and was put off by a disembodied voice telling me 'my bag was not on the loading platform' or some such rubbish which required a long wait for an assistant.
I could have saved time my going through the normal till in the first place
Harbal
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I may start to use them ,as you say, they are much quicker, unless like you have explained, a random check.
I definitely prefer self-scan. As for the random checks; they can be a bit worrying, as you can't help wondering if you remembered to scan everything. If they do find anything you haven't scanned, though, there aren't any consequences, other than a slight feeling of embarrassment.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I wouldn't want to play a part in any job losses, but I can't resist the convenience of self scanning.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top