Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Re: Laptops

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never had a laptop. I've got a 'big' computer.
My son has just bought himself a new laptop and given me his 'old' one, (which is still many years younger than my 'big one'.
Now I know I've got a lot of learning to do on this new equipment which I know nothing about, but apparently he had a virus on it once, so how would I know if it's all gone?
Is there any way of telling?
Thanks.
Ok not a complete expert but will try to answer including some of the following posts.

I Might have some of this wrong.

Deleting your temporary files gets rid of a lot of virus.

I use Malwarebits and as a Firewall Windows essentials.

Having AVG or others with a firewall helps.

These virus are normally adware nothing to worry about.

The much more serious virus are Hackers who use your email accounts to invade your computer, latest one is "We could not deliver a parcel" with a download opition(do not click on the download optition).

I use the link below about a year ago and found that I had 2 hackers on my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba3yUNUvC20

Hope this helps there are others on U Tube that might explain better.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Thanks sue. Will get down to trying to sort this over the weekend.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 08:50 PM

I got a virus making a google search looking for a piece of software. Google puts paying customers at the top, usually the first 6 sites. Some of these sites advertise the software you are looking for except they are not the software creator or originator. I hit the first link on google and then hit download and it installed the program I was looking for plus a few others, even the developers do this, like Adobe (Adobe usually gives you a choice and whatever other stuff is innocuous). It was a 3 day chore removing the Trojans and the hijacking of by browser, I could not use the turn back to an earlier starting point. Now I look at the first few links and you can tell pretty much by looking at the hyperlink letters what's bogus or not.
I've never had a problem with facebook but the links to other sites from a friend or thread might cause problems.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2014, 11:59 PM

2 more questions please:

1. Is it o.k. to use a laptop while its plugged in on charge?
2. Approximately how long should it take to fully re-charge?

Thanks a lot.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2014, 02:16 AM

I use mine plugged in rather than use the battery as it only lasts a few hours
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2014, 05:37 AM

2 more questions please:

1. Is it o.k. to use a laptop while its plugged in on charge?
2. Approximately how long should it take to fully re-charge?

Thanks a lot.
1) Definitely OK. Though batteries do like to be used occasionally. Apparently batteries last longer if they are only discharged to half charge or more and for the sake of your data it is best not to use them until the computer shuts itself down because of low battery voltage.. Personally I cycle my laptop battery ie use it until about 50% discharged then plug it in until fully charged while still using it.

2) Depends on how far you discharge it and other factors like charge rate etc so it could take minutes to hours. the laptop manual should give you a guide)

ONe thing I have found with a number of laptops is that pressing the physical 'Off' button (as opposed to the Shut Down on the Start menu) only puts the computer to sleep rather than shuts it down. Sleep mode still uses a bit of the battery as it 'remembers' what it was doing at the time it was put to sleep. Personally I don't like that and change the power button action to 'shut down' rather than 'sleep'.

Sleep is usually the default action for closing the lid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I use mine plugged in rather than use the battery as it only lasts a few hours
Me too it never leaves the flat so it's plugged in ready to use.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
I hit the first link on google and then hit download and it installed the program I was looking for plus a few others, even the developers do this, like Adobe (Adobe usually gives you a choice and whatever other stuff is innocuous). It was a 3 day chore removing the Trojans and the hijacking of by browser, I could not use the turn back to an earlier starting point. Now I look at the first few links and you can tell pretty much by looking at the hyperlink letters what's bogus or not.
This annoys me too, as you say, Adobe is one of the offenders as is Java (Oracle). These company's software is pretty essential software to have on your computer. They 'offer' the choice of installing the McAfee Security System or the ASK Toolbar respectively and you have the choice of unticking the option but, of course, people installing these programs usually go click, click etc without reading the screens.

ASK used to be a particularly insidious piece of software, it was incredibly difficult to uninstall though it is much easier now.

The only advice you can give when installing free software is to READ EVERY SCREEN CAREFULLY. Annoying though these programs are they are not viruses and are usually not difficult to uninstall

Personally I have never had a virus on any computer since my first in 1980 but I have always had up to date antivirus software and that is really all it takes.

Some programs to be recommended are PC Decrapifier - removes those daft programs a new PC comes loaded up with - and ToolBarRemover - gets rid of those annoying search toolbars that you didn't want in the first place (offers you the choice so you can keep one that you like).

As with anything you download make sure your antivirus software is up to date before you start. There are dodgy versions of both those pieces of software about ie viruses themselves.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-11-2014, 11:23 AM

Thankyou Bruce & Julie. I read somewhere that they can explode if used when charging! Same with mobile phones. You've put my mind at rest.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Thankyou Bruce & Julie. I read somewhere that they can explode if used when charging! Same with mobile phones. You've put my mind at rest.
You should be able to run it whilst plugged in without the battery being in situ, so it shouldn't blow up then . I've run laptops in this manner on plenty of occasions. Good way to pick up a bargain on Ebay if the battery is kaput. Probably a good idea to check whether doing so might damage your own laptop though.

You can also buy handy laptop pads that help with cooling and also help with usage too by placing the laptop at an angle more suitable for typing and screen viewing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Laptop-Coo...-/96915/i.html

I've bought some of these and been pleasantly surprised at the quality, though the length of the USB connecting lead can be too short on some but longer ones are available for next to nothing on Ebay.

AVG - Avast are great freebees but once hyjacking toolbars / Trojans have been installed (easily done by installing malicious software that can bypass the anti-virus protection) it can be difficult to remove them. I have all the necessary protection in place on this computer yet I was caught the other day when installing CamStudio. The V9 Trojan was introduced to my computer that Avast was unable to do anything about and it was quite a task to remove it altogether. If your computer does get infected by such a nasty only a competent computer guy will be able to get rid of it. Some of these downloadable fixers appear to work but on restarting your computer you can be back to square one. Only manual intervention can sort it out in some cases, as with the v9 Trojan removal.

A few signs of a Trojan infection?

1 ... If your browser uses a different search and you can't change it
2 ... Your homepage is different and fixed
3 ... Your antivirus program refuses to start
4 ... Your firewall no longer works
5 ... Popups when viewing the net
6 ... Your computer runs much slower than normal

Other signs too if you know what to look for.

What is a Trojan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_...28computing%29

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top