Join for free
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Supermarket Prices.

Living out in the sticks does have disadvantages with shop prices -- we always have to pay more than you lucky people who have the big supermarkets on your doorsteps.

This is from our local Coop who have the monopoly in the small village where I live:

One packet of 12 Jaffa Cakes - cost £1.00
One packet of 24 Jaffa Cakes - cost £2.47
One packet of 36 Jaffa Cakes - cost £2.00

Can anybody please explain the logic in this pricing?

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Re: Supermarket Prices.

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Living out in the sticks does have disadvantages with shop prices -- we always have to pay more than you lucky people who have the big supermarkets on your doorsteps.

This is from our local Coop who have the monopoly in the small village where I live:

Can anybody please explain the logic in this pricing?

I went to a biggish Co- Op supermarket the other day and it was quite empty! When l saw the prices, l understood why!
£1.59 for four pints of milk, whereas other supermarkets charge £1 or less for the same!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:28 PM

In America politicians tell us that pricing is under control that wages are on the increment, but we only need to go to the market to see how much more money we need now to put food on the table A gallon of milk use to be about $1.99. Today in some stores prices are as high as $3.99 per gallon.

The logic stems from greed. The need to make more money at all cost. Goes with the saying.. Profit is not a dirty word..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Hi

Supermarket pricing is a mystery to me.

Living in a Rural Area with very big producers, I know what the producers get and the prices that are charged.

There is a massive difference.

I have been spending a considerable amount of time abroad, they operate differently.

Everything is priced per Kilo, no packaging.

Absolutely fantastic for the Elderly or people living on their own.

They will sell you one sausage, one onion, one carrot etc etc at the same price as a kilo of them.

So much better and much less wastage.

In the UK, packaged in big portions and BOGOF, so much wastage.

Potatoes, ready packaged, really good varieties are 18p a kilo bag.

Ham Shanks, 3 for £5, 3 oven ready Free range Chickens, big ones, for £10, Pork Chops, 20p each.

You won't find me in Tesco's.

Tesco were the only local supermarket, then Lidle arrived, then Sainsbury and Tesco prices dropped significantly.

It was a total rip off before.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Coop is by far the most expensive round here only really use it for convenience when I run out of something mid week and that doesn't happen often.

All the supermarkets have "bargains" like you speak of hanfonious it puzzles me every time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
In America politicians tell us that pricing is under control that wages are on the increment, but we only need to go to the market to see how much more money we need now to put food on the table A gallon of milk use to be about $1.99. Today in some stores prices are as high as $3.99 per gallon.

The logic stems from greed. The need to make more money at all cost. Goes with the saying.. Profit is not a dirty word..
Hard to make a comparison because the US gallon is less than 4 litres (3.8?) whereas the British gallon is over 4.5 litres. We pay $1 a litre for milk (and don't use those archaic measurements at all).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 02:11 PM

I don't buy Jaffa Cakes Han so can't help you, I think they are yuk
I don't buy any biscuits, I think they are a waste of money like most ready made 'processed' food.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 07:17 PM

My Iranian neighbour, who doesn't drive, often comes back from our Co-op with a shopping trolley of stuff from Co-op and a bill for £50!!!!

I only ever buy my newspaper from there, or a pint of milk. If there are bargains, I may look. Recently I got more toilet tissue and kitchen towel, for the time I was ill. I absolutely resented paying their prices.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Just buy a bag of sugar and spoon it in. Only about £1.25 for a whole Kg of the stuff.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 10:08 PM

My wife popped into Tesco to buy a jar of peanut butter thought it expensive and walked out, she then nipped into Poundstretchers got the same brand Sunpat there for nearly a pound cheaper and it was for a bigger jar.
One thing for sure you have to shop around.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top