Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:53 PM

"Shall I be mother?"

The local rag reported on a lesbian couple who wanted to christen their child with both of them recognised as being the mother.

The vicar refused on the grounds that it was illegal & he anyway didnt agree with it. He had a negative reaction because he was so straight about the situation (no pun intended). He is 87 & brought out of retirement as the church was between resident vicars.

I think he had guts.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Re: "Shall I be mother?"

Surely this would have been sorted at the registry office, can the certificate have two same sex parents on it? Is the christening certificate a legal document?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:04 PM

If he was uncomfortable about it, I see no reason why he shouldn't refuse. I'm sure there will be other vicars who will do it. I just hope he doesn't end up being lambasted for it.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Surely this would have been sorted at the registry office, can the certificate have two same sex parents on it? Is the christening certificate a legal document?
I don't know TWIZ & will look again.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:05 PM

And I have to say I feel disappointed - when I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to offer tea and cake for everyone
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:07 PM

I thought he was going to make medical history!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
The local rag reported on a lesbian couple who wanted to christen their child...
I stopped there

Call me homophobic if you want, but lesbians (or gay men) having children is just wrong. If they want to have a relationship then go ahead, it is your life, but don't force that lifestyle upon a child.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I thought he was going to make medical history!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 10:10 PM

It appears to be that only one mother was on the birth certificate & the fracas was at a preliminary meeting. The previous vicar had agreed to the couple both being mothers as they wre civil partners. The matter was referred to the C of E archdeacon who agreed to the baptism, pointing out that the little chap was his main concern & he had no problem with the mothers.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
It appears to be that only one mother was on the birth certificate & the fracas was at a preliminary meeting. The previous vicar had agreed to the couple both being mothers as they wre civil partners. The matter was referred to the C of E archdeacon who agreed to the baptism, pointing out that the little chap was his main concern & he had no problem with the mothers.
You make it sound like there is MORE than one mother, there is not.

I quote from the dictionary: A woman in relation to a child or children to whom she has given birth.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top