Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Re: "I'm in the bread aisle dear."

There was only one person on our street with a phone back in the 50's, an old retired civil servant and his wife, luckily they were very obliging in most cases and strangely enough the use of their phone was never abused by the other neighbours and they all left their 3 pennies beside the phone when they finished.
I can't hold a proper conversation on the phone, I certainly can't do business over the phone, I'm uneasy and can't wait to get off it, the lack of visual gestures hinders me and I look like a complete idiot when I have to speak to someone for a long while, I'm in a state of irritation and dont know what to do with my spare hand, scratch my head, put it in my pocket, rub my eye. I never answer it when the wife is out because it's usually one of her sisters, brothers or friends, it's never for me and they talk rubbish for as long as you let them, they just go on and on until you have to say "Oh there's a knock at the door, must go now" or some similar getaway tactic. To me they are just a necessary pest, I hate phones of any description.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Jem - you sound like Cary Grant in one of his comedies, he had to sleep in a chair, he couldn't - he just didn't know what to do with his right arm !
Hilarious it was watching him, so I'd love to see you on that phone !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Jem, I wonder if anyone else has my problem, which is that I can only function on the phone when I am using my left hand to my left ear. I can't hack any other combination.

AS for you avoiding using the phone at all, I think you are so right.

ANd as for those people who drop everything to answer the darn thing, especially in business, I say PPPHHHTTTTTTTT. to the lot of you
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 05:31 PM

You'd want to see the wife on the phone Patsy, she's a natural and it's impossible to get her off it, you'd swear she was a priest in the confession box, she listens to all their problems, she's like Basil Fawlty's wife whatshername, all you can hear out of her is "Oh I know...yes I know...oh I know, I know, yes I know...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 05:42 PM

At least you can't end your own life with a Mobile Phone like Debbie Harry did with and old chorded Dog and Bone, they found her "Hanging on the Telephone".
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
You'd want to see the wife on the phone Patsy, she's a natural and it's impossible to get her off it, you'd swear she was a priest in the confession box, she listens to all their problems, she's like Basil Fawlty's wife whatshername, all you can hear out of her is "Oh I know...yes I know...oh I know, I know, yes I know...
Sybil !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

14-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
At least you can't end your own life with a Mobile Phone like Debbie Harry did with and old chorded Dog and Bone, they found her "Hanging on the Telephone".
How very droll .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 06:09 PM

What annoys me with these cordless jobs, if there's a power cut you can't use them. So if you had an electrical emergency for example you're stuffed without a mobile!
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 06:43 PM

bowie..i've been on those national express buses with someone constantly on the mobile...telling the person on the other end exactly where they are...but usually the driver tells them to make the conversations short...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Jem, you did make me laugh!

I have to admit, I do like to have my mobile(s) with me at all times. Yes, plural. My iPhone is on 3 network and is patchy. I use that to keep connected to the internet; FB, emails, Googling, maps. And to supplement it I have a falling-apart Sony Ericsson phone on PAYG Vodafone which gives good connection.

However, I try to behave myself when using either in public, like being aware of where I am, not shouting if on public transport, being careful that no-one can snatch it off me.

I too wonder how we ever managed without.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top