Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:54 PM

Re: Almost a Third of Five Year Olds Don't Have Basic Speech

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Bone idle if you ask me.
Children are hard work and need time to learn .
Id agree with this too !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Basic SPEECH is different from reading and writing .
Children don't speak because their parents don't talk to them enough!
I completely agree. You see young mums out with baby buggies in which the babe is facing away from the mum - so there is no interaction at all.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
...and unbelievably, some of those 5 year olds are still in nappies when they start school.
That is just disgusting!

Bone idle if you ask me.
Children are hard work and need time to learn .
They need parents or relatives who are interested in them more than in their TV sets, computers and cellphones.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I had this conversation with a woman months ago and she turned around and said to me, its not for me to teach my child to read and write, that's what the Teachers get paid to do, I totally disagreed with her, my Parents taught me basic things before going to School, I could tell the time before going to School.
I could read, write and do basic sums when I started school at four. I read and enjoyed both 'Jane Eyre' and 'Ivanhoe' when I was five. Although none of that was down to my parents.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I had this conversation with a woman months ago and she turned around and said to me, its not for me to teach my child to read and write, that's what the Teachers get paid to do, I totally disagreed with her, my Parents taught me basic things before going to School, I could tell the time before going to School.
That is typical of so many lower class people. And not engaging them in speech is even worse.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Unfortunately, that is a fact. Too busy on-line in a world of their own.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 09:20 PM

What a sad world when folk can't take responsibility (or feel proud) in bringing up their children properly.

There's nothing nicer than interacting with your kids, playing, teaching, introducing them to different things, watching their faces. The whole bag of mashings.

Gawd, these parents saying it's not 'their job' don't deserve them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Well it could be said it's not actually the parents job to teach them to read and write although many do .
I could read before I went to school but many girls can.
Boys are sometimes a bit slower as they develop later .
It is the parents job to speak to and listen to their child and teach him to be clean and articulate .
So a teacher may teach not potty train.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 10:26 PM

I vilunteered at one time for a nursery group organised by Barnardo’s in a block of flats for children at risk. It was patently clear which children had no verbal interaction at home, nor basic skills like holding a spoon or fork.

Similarly, I also volunteered at a local Primary School, listening to six year olds read. They would come individually and sit and read to me. Again, it was plainly clear which children had parents who cared and encouraged them, they would storm ahead of their classmates. Others, I couldn’t even get them to sit still enough to sound out their letters to me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
...and unbelievably, some of those 5 year olds are still in nappies when they start school.
That is quite a prevalent situation these days. There were certainly a lot like that where I taught.

Fortunately, by the time they reached me they had been brought up properly - by the nursery and reception teachers!

What annoys me is the criticism levelled at teachers generally these days for not producing capable children when they leave school.

Those whose parents couldn't be bothered to bring them up properly, begin school at a major disadvantage and, thanks to the feckless parents continuing to take no interest in supporting the education they receive at school, those children remain behind those children who benefit from parents who are interested in their upbringing.

(Phew! Sorry, I'm just competing for the longest sentence on OFF.)

Some would argue that teachers should try to make up for the lack of parental support, and we do to an extent, but it is grossly unfair to blame teachers for parents' failure.

My argument is that teachers should not be expected to spend an inordinate amount of time concentrating on the least able, although that was once the preferred option according to the powers that be. More recently, thankfully, the 'rule' was to spend an equal length of time on all the children in the class, but provide differentiated work.

Even that cannot make up for the most important losses incurred prior to school, and the final outcome is that if parents don't do all they can for their children they will suffer throughout school.

There will always be bright kids and 'thickos', there always have been, but it's no good blaming the teachers.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

I'm impressed we don't seem to have anyone on this thread claiming it's not a problem. Might be something to do with the ages of the members.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top