Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Re: Almost a Third of Five Year Olds Don't Have Basic Speech

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That is quite a prevalent situation these days. There were certainly a lot like that where I taught.

Fortunately, by the time they reached me they had been brought up properly - by the nursery and reception teachers!

What annoys me is the criticism levelled at teachers generally these days for not producing capable children when they leave school.

Those whose parents couldn't be bothered to bring them up properly, begin school at a major disadvantage and, thanks to the feckless parents continuing to take no interest in supporting the education they receive at school, those children remain behind those children who benefit from parents who are interested in their upbringing.

(Phew! Sorry, I'm just competing for the longest sentence on OFF.)

Some would argue that teachers should try to make up for the lack of parental support, and we do to an extent, but it is grossly unfair to blame teachers for parents' failure.

My argument is that teachers should not be expected to spend an inordinate amount of time concentrating on the least able, although that was once the preferred option according to the powers that be. More recently, thankfully, the 'rule' was to spend an equal length of time on all the children in the class, but provide differentiated work.

Even that cannot make up for the most important losses incurred prior to school, and the final outcome is that if parents don't do all they can for their children they will suffer throughout school.

There will always be bright kids and 'thickos', there always have been, but it's no good blaming the teachers.

I'm one of those people who criticise teachers for not teaching the very basics of language. After 10 years they should have at least instilled that.

TEN YEARS!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:22 PM

And yet i had a snowflake teacher trying to tell us off because we had taught or son his ABC`s as they used phonetic spelling. I asked her was his reading and writing ok, she replied he was the best in his class.

At a course i attended for maths, both myself and another elderly lady, responded quickly to multiplication problems, but the 20 year olds struggled

When they asked us how we did it in or heads, we explained the times table by rote, taught when we were kids, they had not heard of it.

So are the old ways better ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

I taught our children to read, but maths I left to my husband, who was in the teaching profession. I can manage 1+1=2 without the aid of my calculator but that is about all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'm impressed we don't seem to have anyone on this thread claiming it's not a problem. Might be something to do with the ages of the members.
Of course it's a bloody problem. Read my last post!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm one of those people who criticise teachers for not teaching the very basics of language. After 10 years they should have at least instilled that.

TEN YEARS!
But we do, at least I did.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
And yet i had a snowflake teacher trying to tell us off because we had taught or son his ABC`s as they used phonetic spelling. I asked her was his reading and writing ok, she replied he was the best in his class.
That's because she's a wally snowflake. You just can't get the quality these days.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
At a course i attended for maths, both myself and another elderly lady, responded quickly to multiplication problems, but the 20 year olds struggled

When they asked us how we did it in or heads, we explained the times table by rote, taught when we were kids, they had not heard of it.

So are the old ways better ?
I taught multiplication tables by rote because I was an excellent teacher, and modest with it.

In fairness, I suppose, when I was a kid (yes there were young goats in my primary class) we were taught the three Rs, and not a great deal else.

When I was teaching, we had about a dozen subjects to teach, and each was very clearly prescribed as to exactly what had to be taught. That was the National Curriculum, of course. It was put in place to ensure that everyone taught the same things and to the correct level.

Sounds good?

It doesn't seem to have worked too well, does it?

Blame Tony B Liar.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:45 PM

The more informed of you will have heard this story from a couple of days ago. The situation seems to be getting worse.

The PC Brigade won't admit it but this problem is, for the most part, the fault of the clueless working class parents (and not just the white ones, but also some ethnic minorities as well I would suggest).

James O'Brien did an hour on this on LBC and after a stream of teachers phoned in, talking about the dire situation, right at the end a clueless parent rang in, and you wouldn't believe just how ****ing clueless he was.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-parents.html
I thought that was very sad when I read about it.
When we were preschool kids,No nursery schools or childminders back then apart from family.
Mum used to read to us in bed every evening. When we were a little older, aged 6 or 7, she had us read to her and if we read things wrong when it came to important punctuation marks such as full stops and commas, plus their important meanings., she would ensure we knew why we were reading it incorrectly. Bless her, she also taught us how important it was to start a new sentence with a capital letter after a full stop. Of course, things do change. We were taught NEVER to start a sentence with the word "And", but it seems it's okay to do that nowadays. Also, we had loads of comics every week, plus piles of library books and Christmas Annuals.

I do wish they would bring back the three R's today. They were such an important part of easy-learning.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I do wish they would bring back the three R's today. They were such an important part of easy-learning.
I completely agree.

There are far too many subjects to be taught in primary schools today and, of course, the more you have to teach the less time is available for each, especially the most important basic ones (3 Rs).

No wonder that today's children are far less capable than their predecessors of years gone by.

My particularly most-unfavourite is PSHE: personal, social and health education. Basically, that is what decent parents have always taught their children.

This is all the fault of trendy political decisions.

They are not working, are they? No wonder we are pretty low down on the world rankings of state education.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:18 PM

I think the children should be taught the basics by the parents , then the teachers take over, with massive support from the parents.
Between them if the child is bright enough they should do a good job.
just sayin".
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's because she's a wally snowflake. You just can't get the quality these days.

I taught multiplication tables by rote because I was an excellent teacher, and modest with it.

In fairness, I suppose, when I was a kid (yes there were young goats in my primary class) we were taught the three Rs, and not a great deal else.

When I was teaching, we had about a dozen subjects to teach, and each was very clearly prescribed as to exactly what had to be taught. That was the National Curriculum, of course. It was put in place to ensure that everyone taught the same things and to the correct level.

Sounds good?

It doesn't seem to have worked too well, does it?

Blame Tony B Liar.

Cant blame Blair it was Thatcher who was in power then, furthermore cant recollect any from my classes that could not read or do basic math either, these were large classes, ruled by healthy doses of corporal punishment if needed.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top