Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Re: Do you give to charity shops?

I give to charity shops but I don't buy from them.

I've got a thing about wearing anybody else's clothes.

In my youth when my friends used to swap clothes, I never swapped mine.
Once a friend begged me to lend her a dress to go to a special occasion in. I couldn't refuse so I lent it to her but I never wore it again afterwards.

I can't help it - it's the way I am.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Yes, my son works with a homeless charity, they have a very reasonable priced shop too. He went on a course for testing electrical goods that are donated and he also goes to the the other charity shops that send for him to test their stuff, he spends a full day every month doing this for them, then the rest of the time he does his usual work. I always visit the shop when I go down to Perth, and usually have a couple of black bags of stuff for them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Yes I give things to charity shops and that includes most of my furniture.
I decided a couple of years back now I live alone I really don't need a dresser and dining room suit so it went to the YMCA
I do have a table and chairs in the kitchen still.

I don't have to move it all to clean anymore and my sitting room is bright and airy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Books, clothes, bric a brac etc.

I was slightly put out when a charity shop near me (which sells electrical items) wouldn't take a mobile phone because it was "too old" although working perfectly. It was old, a black and white screen but surely someone would have wanted it.

It wasn't the same shop which was selling fake Ralph Lauren shirts at £30 each but in the same vein.

I find charity shops a real mix; some are great and have bargains; others are snobby and have hugely inflated prices.
Like you, I was put out when they wouldn't accept unused energy saving light bulbs. They were umming and ahing over whether to take them or not. In the end I said I would just bin them.

I still take things to charity shops but if I'm honest, it's just somewhere to offload them.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Always give to Sue Ryder. Many moons ago I was at a retreat . I met an incredible lady and her husband who both worked and ran the charity , he was a scientist studying blood , she was the doctor . At the time they only had half dozen hospices . Both were so dedicated to their work and told me so much about what the charity does , the love they had for all their patients . Since then they are my charity for donations .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I give to charity shops but I don't buy from them.

I've got a thing about wearing anybody else's clothes.

In my youth when my friends used to swap clothes, I never swapped mine.
Once a friend begged me to lend her a dress to go to a special occasion in. I couldn't refuse so I lent it to her but I never wore it again afterwards.

I can't help it - it's the way I am.
I agree with all you say, Carol.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:31 AM

iI usually give books, dvd`s and cd`s, as for electrical goods i understand if they refuse as they should be tested with a valid sticker so can be sold on in safety.

Ffosse i know there are charities that take old phones and recycle them to third world countries.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Charity shops aren’t what they were like years ago, they are proper big business now.

I usually put clothes, shoes and handbags in the charity bins in supermarket car parks. I find it much easier.
I like to put them in the Air Ambulance bin.

Last time I took some ( very good stuff ) to a charity shop they were so sniffy about them looking for the right labels on lovely stuffed toys I though ok mates you have had your lot now .
I usually put stuff into the heat foundation or the Salvation Army bins .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:48 AM

My youngest son was a volunteer at our local Sue Ryder charity shop for quite a while (he loved it there),he said it was amazing how much stuff came in..he was on the book section and a heck of a lot of books would be binned(box fulls) just for not being perfect.
I always take my unwanted items to charity shops/sally army or animal charities..I send my old towels and sheets/blankets to a local dogs home .
I shop a lot in them and enjoy browsing through most of them but have noticed in a few their prices are ridiculously high tbh..eg: £6 for well pre loved tops which imo should be half that at least
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 09:14 AM

I have a pal who bought a Chanel jacket in a charity shop you know the one I mean the typically Chanel little box jacket it was just about new I bet it can't have been worn more than once or twice...a real bargain.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top