Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bobbyj
New Member!
Sussex, UK
Bobbyj is male 

20-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Round and round we go

No wonder society is out of control if the people we elect to run our country are made up of crooks (expenses scandal), jail birds (Geoffrey Archer, Johnathan Aitkin etc) purveyors of untruths (Michael Gove, Boris Johnson - Brexit Bus) and the list goes on and on.

Never thought much of John Major but “jees” he just might have a semblance of an idea that could break the deadlock. He advocates taking Ms May out of the equation (great) and asking all MPs to vote on what options they would agree to (seems a forward move).

Ok John boy stand back and try this on for size!

Once we have got the result from the MPs vote, eliminate the 2 less popular and put the remainder to a public vote. To me it’s democracy at its purest and even the most hardened MPs displaying self interest (Messrs Gove and Corbyn please stand) couldn’t deny its a practical stab at a solution!

Hey and perhaps after the Brexit dust has settled we can have a go at reforming our political system!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Re: Round and round we go

we have had a public vote already, don't need another one. The country voted OUT
you can keep on voting until the cows come home.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Wouldn't the Remain side just love that! Hate to remind you with your fingers in your ears but WE ARE LEAVING! hopefully with a revised deal, but if necessary without a deal. Anything other than that may well result in civil war in this country.

All these flakey ideas you on the losing side keep coming up with are ridiculous. You keep bringing them up in the wishful hope that the referendum result will just disappear. Sorry, it isn't going to happen. The people have spoken, and the people WILL be heard.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:46 PM

lol, Nice first "anti Tory" post there!

The thing is we are in a compete mess because people were stupid enough to previously vote in the Looney Labour party.

We gave Tony BLiar a huge majority. Big big mistake. He took us into an illegal war with Iraq and we are still paying the price for that.

Then we had the diabolical Gordon Brown who went on an uncontrolled spending spree and pretty much bankrupted the UK. He capped it off by selling all the UK's gold reserves for a pittance to foreign interests.

Never Again !

And now of course there's the uber duplicitous commie/Marxist Jezbollah Corbyn sitting in the wings hoping to walk into No 10. A man who will wilfully say and promise anything and everything to anyone in order to get votes. He mercilessly duped the young electorate at the last election by promising them the "moon on a stick". It didn't work and now many of those youngsters have woken up and seen how Compo played them like a fiddle and now won't support him any further.

You can berate the Tories all you like but the fact of the matter is that most of the nation knows exactly who and what old Jezbollah Corbyn represents. He is the wolf in sheeps clothing personified.

There's no way the good people of this country will vote in Communism or Marxism.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Bobbyj
New Member!
Sussex, UK
Bobbyj is male 

20-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Realspeed and Shropshiregirl I’m sorry but you’ve missed the point, I am a “leaver” through and through. I believe the vote was flawed and both sides used misleading spin to gain votes, which further supports my view that our political system is in need of reform. I’m not afraid of a second vote as I believe all the wrangling of the past few weeks favours the leave argument. We have seen how the EU has placed its demands on us and it’s now time for us to restore our position as a great independent nation but who is going to lead us?? A discussion point for later
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 04:16 PM

I find it amusing that we keep getting new members who appear to be in favour of our continued membership of the EU, just around the same time that Slosh and Itsme disappeared!

Of course, I do realise that it is no more than a coincidence.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbyj ->
Realspeed and Shropshiregirl I’m sorry but you’ve missed the point, I am a “leaver” through and through. I believe the vote was flawed and both sides used misleading spin to gain votes, which further supports my view that our political system is in need of reform. I’m not afraid of a second vote as I believe all the wrangling of the past few weeks favours the leave argument. We have seen how the EU has placed its demands on us and it’s now time for us to restore our position as a great independent nation but who is going to lead us?? A discussion point for later
As a totally unbiased observer, I wouldn't mind a second vote either!

The only stipulations I would make would be that the questions would be either (a) the same as last time, or (b) provided by the winners of the last one.

After all, there may be many who suspect that any future vote might be "wording fudged" to keep us in.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

The only stipulations I would make would be that the questions would be either (a) the same as last time, or (b) provided by the winners of the last one.

After all, there may be many who suspect that any future vote might be "wording fudged" to keep us in.
A 2nd referendum is a patently ridiculous notion and should be rejected and opposed with all necessary means.

Nothing is to be gained from it.

If you ask the same question as last time, Leave or Stay, they you simply undermine totally the democratic process and demonstrate to people that votes will be repeated until he establishment get the answer they want. That will lead to a total breakdown in society. No democracy, no civil compliance. Mob rule will ensue.

There are those who try to justify the above based on the ultra lame excuse that :

1) We are 2 years down the line and know much more than we did last time and

2) We were all bamboozled and mislead by the media last time

These are NOT valid excuses. EVERY vote this nation ever has occurs on the back of purposeful media campaigns from all parties and the establishement, all of it designed to bamboozle voters and make them vote a specific way. A referendum is no different.

If there is to be democracy in this country then you must FIRST act on the result of the referendum. You MUST take the country out of the EU. Once that is achieved, you may then at some later point, hold another referendum to see if people want to rejoin the EU.

There are other 2nd referedum ideas being floated by rabid Remainers such as the sleight of hand trick of suggesting there should be mulitple options on the paper for Leavers (No deal, Deal1, Deal2 etc) but just the one option for Remainers. That of course would split the Leave vote into different options and thereby see the Remain vote gain more than any of the individual Leave choices.

Nice try Remainers but no cigar !

We COULD have a referendum on HOW WE LEAVE and nothing else. You could ask us to vote on No Deal, vs Deal 1 and Deal 2 but in no circumstances at all should a Remain option be on the paper. That vote has happened and the people voted to Leave, so only Leave options are valid.

We must get out asap. NO DEAL is really the only way it can ever realistically happen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Of course. Many of us believe that a second referendum (and a third, fourth, etc.) would be worded to split the 'leave' vote.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course. Many of us believe that a second referendum (and a third, fourth, etc.) would be worded to split the 'leave' vote.
Ofcourse it would.

In a second referendum, the answer is always in the question thats asked.

The big question on my side for the remainers is, what is the problem that a second referendum is going to solve ?

No answers so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top