Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Re: 1960's Girl Groups

Originally Posted by Omah ->
How about this one:

The Chiffons - He's So Fine (1963)

"He's So Fine" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in the spring of 1963. The son was written by Ronald Mack, an acquaintance of the Chiffons' members who set himself up as their manager after overhearing them harmonise in their high school's lunch room.

The Chiffons' two later Top 10 hits both contain echoes of "He's So Fine", although neither song was written by Ronald Mack, who died soon after the Chiffons had recorded his song.
Yes & that one.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 02:21 PM

I remember most of these.
Great tunes.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Time for another:

The Shangri-Las - Give Him A Great Big Kiss (1964)

Is he a good dancer?

Whaddayamean, is he a good dancer?

Well, how does he dance?

Close, very, very close!
"Give Him a Great Big Kiss" was written and produced by George "Shadow" Morton. It reached #18 on the U.S. pop chart in 1964.

By the end of 1964 the group was an established act. They performed with the Beatles, with the Rolling Stones, R&B artists such as The Drifters and James Brown (who, according to Mary Weiss, was surprised to discover the girls were white). Cashbox magazine listed them as best new R&B group. The group was also a fixture on the Murray The K shows at the Brooklyn Fox from 1964-66. They also promoted Revlon cosmetics. In March 1965 they toured the UK with Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Herman's Hermits, Del Shannon, and others.

They were famous, very, very famous .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 03:03 PM

This one was so sad. I never realised how many hits they had.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
"Leader Of The Pack" seemed contrived at the time but it was sung with such sincerity that it broke young girls' hearts .....

"Leader of the Pack" is credited to pop impresario George "Shadow" Morton together with Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich. According to Morton, he wrote the song for the Goodies (also known as the Bunnies), but instead it was needed as a follow-up to the Shangri-Las hit "Remember (Walking in the Sand)". He said he did not know that he was supposed to have a second idea ready to follow up "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" until Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller (Red Bird Records co-owners with George Goldner) asked him, "Hey, what do you want to do for the second record?" Morton said he "got a bottle of champagne, two cigars" and "went into the shower, sat down, drank the champagne, smoked the cigars, and wrote the song on a shirt cardboard with my kids crayons." Morton claimed he credited Barry and Greenwich as co-writers for business reasons; however his recollection has been questioned by Ellie Greenwich.

Another apocryphal pop story .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2019, 07:14 PM

Next:

The Chiffons - One Fine Day (1963)

Dooby-dooby, Dooby-dooby-doo-wah-wah
"One Fine Day" is a song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. Goffin and King were inspired by the title of the aria "Un bel di vedremo" from the Puccini opera Madama Butterfly. Intended for Little Eva, "One Fine Day" was prepped as a demo by Goffin and King with King providing a guide vocal but – despite a propulsive piano riff courtesy of King – Goffin and King were unable to construct a viable arrangement and eventually gave up, passing the song to The Tokens who had recently produced the #1 hit "He's So Fine" by The Chiffons for whom it was thought another "fine" song had hit potential. The piano work by King (whose vocal was erased) was retained for The Chiffons' recording and King attended the session at which The Chiffons recorded their vocals. However the Tokens radically re-worked the Goffin/King demo of "One Fine Day" for The Chiffons' version; Gerry Goffin commented that the Tokens "really earned their production credit".

"One Fine Day" by The Chiffons reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100: its R&B chart peak was #6. The single was an international hit charting in the UK (#29), France (#18), and New Zealand (#6).

In 1980, King covered it herself and charted at #12 on the Hot 100 with her version. The song has subsequently been covered by numerous artists over the years.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->

It’s too bad they couldn’t get the lip synching thing right
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

05-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
It’s too bad they couldn’t get the lip synching thing right
It's an old video.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:43 PM

I've been trying to remember where I first heard some of these fantastic old tunes.It must have been Radio Luxembourg or the pirates,there was buggerall on the BBC in those days.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

05-11-2019, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I've been trying to remember where I first heard some of these fantastic old tunes.It must have been Radio Luxembourg or the pirates,there was buggerall on the BBC in those days.
Yes, I think that's where I heard most, plus I worked in a record shop.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top