Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:22 AM

Re: 10 Best Bobbie Gentry Songs

I feel the need for more Bobbie, here's her version of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" (1969), from 'Touch 'Em With Love', written by composer Burt Bacharach and lyricist Hal David, which got nowhere in the USA but to #1 in the UK.

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Was never really a lover of Gentry, Ode To Billy Joe was probably the only song that I ever listened to of her's..

Later when I started listening to Country and Blue Grass she never really came on to my radar. She was also into soul which you can hear in some of her songs which I have listened to this morning.

It seems she was her own lady and had her own agenda to get on in life. No body was ever gonna tie her down 3 marriages which were virtually all one night stands.

Good for her.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Was never really a lover of Gentry, Ode To Billy Joe was probably the only song that I ever listened to of her's..

Later when I started listening to Country and Blue Grass she never really came on to my radar. She was also into soul which you can hear in some of her songs which I have listened to this morning.

It seems she was her own lady and had her own agenda to get on in life. No body was ever gonna tie her down 3 marriages which were virtually all one night stands.

Good for her.
TBH, at the time, her "idiosyncrasy" (and beauty) drew me but didn't make me buy any records. 1968 (the year of 'The Delta Sweete') was the year I bought Joni Mitchell's 'Song to a Seagull' .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Nevertheless, from 'The Delta Sweete' (1968)

Bobbie Gentry - Okolona River Buttom Band

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Fancy was written and recorded by Bobbie Gentry in 1969. The song depicts its heroine overcoming poverty to become a successful courtesan.

Gentry views the song as a feminist statement:

“"Fancy" is my strongest statement for women's lib, if you really listen to it. I agree wholeheartedly with that movement and all the serious issues that they stand for — equality, equal pay, day care centers, and abortion rights."

Personally, I don't think the lyrics, about depending upon the favours of men for you existence, are particularly feminist, but it's a good song.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

From Fancy (1969)

Too MOR for me.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top