Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:36 PM

Re: Bushfires- Catastrophic conditions

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
It's ironic that while Australia is burning , it's pouring with rain here as I speak. We've sent some firefighters over to help but it's just a drop in the bucket in comparison to the number of fires in NSW and Queensland. All the best to my Aussie mates.
Quite often ciderman the weather is the only thing able to control
these bush fires, especially the wind and what direction it blows
and how hard? If it reverses direction it can even put the fire out!
So the weather forecast could be important in the coming days
for ozzies?
Good luck to you all!
Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
It's ironic that while Australia is burning , it's pouring with rain here as I speak. We've sent some firefighters over to help but it's just a drop in the bucket in comparison to the number of fires in NSW and Queensland. All the best to my Aussie mates.
Don't worry it was snowing in Victoria and Tassie while last week's NSW fires were burning.

Bushfires are like rain in the drought, they usually happen to someone else. That is until they don't.

The most I have been inconvenienced by a bush fire in the last 50 years is having to take a different route or being turned off the freeway because smoke has made driving impossible. These days there is an App "NSW Fires Near Me"

BUT who knows what tomorrow brings? the escarpment near my house hasn't burned for at least 40 years (1968 rings a bell) so there is plenty of fuel. If it does go up you can be sure, depending on wind direction, my gutters will be full of water and my hoses laid out (they were ready today)

It is highly unlikely my house would be directly attacked by a big fire but embers can travel kilometres to start fires - and my house is made entirely of wood, it would take about 20 minutes to become a pile of ashes and iron if the eaves caught. I am not worried but I am prepared.

I was driving to Sydney tomorrow but the call has been out avoid unnecessary travel so I might not go because it takes me right through the Royal National Park which is tinder dry at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-12 19.06.43.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	11045  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Yesterday was the first day in recorded history that it didn’t rain ANYWHERE in Australia .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Oh yes! no fires today but a lot of red dust on its way to New Zealand from central NSW. The sky was red, the escarpment almost invisible, you could taste the stuff in the air and it made your eyes feel gritty. I have seen a lot worse but.

The wind is part the reason for the catastrophic fire rating, 35°C, 70kph winds and less than 10% humidity. The Southerly Buster has come through so the temperature has plummeted to 19°C and it is bloody freezing.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-12 17.16.38.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	11046  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Oh yes! no fires today but a lot of red dust on its way to New Zealand from central NSW. The sky was red, the escarpment almost invisible, you could taste the stuff in the air and it made your eyes feel gritty. I have seen a lot worse but.

The wind is part the reason for the catastrophic fire rating, 35°C, 70kph winds and less than 10% humidity. The Southerly Buster has come through so the temperature has plummeted to 19°C and it is bloody freezing.
Can you see the sun at midday Brucy? Your photos dont look too
bad but a camera does'nt always show what your eyes see?
Good luck matey!
Donkeyman!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 01:18 PM

I received this message from my son last night, he said...

‘It’s really smoky today. The fires are all up the coast, there’s loads of houses lost and the service station on the motorway blew up yesterday.’
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

‘It’s really smoky today. The fires are all up the coast, there’s loads of houses lost and the service station on the motorway blew up yesterday.’
Blimey Arty, that sounds frightening, I hope he's alright.........Hug for you by the way....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Blimey Arty, that sounds frightening, I hope he's alright.........Hug for you by the way....
Thank You for caring, Foxy.

He said, they’re ok at the moment as they live on the coast. Whether or not he’s just saying that so l don’t worry, l don’t know?
They have a young baby and l worry about the smoke inhalation.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thank You for caring, Foxy.

He said, they’re ok at the moment as they live on the coast. Whether or not he’s just saying that so l don’t worry, l don’t know?
They have a young baby and l worry about the smoke inhalation.
That news from your family really brings home the nature of the disaster. I'm sure that the coast is the best place to be, though.

Keep us informed .....
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 11:00 PM

This mornings update

"While the danger is easing in NSW this morning, it's ramping up in Queensland.

Residents and guests have left a luxury resort in the state's southeast because a fire is approaching.

There is one burning near Spicers Gap and travelling southwest towards Spicers Peak Lodge. Firefighters door knocked the resort in the early hours of the morning to evacuate it, but the guests were already gone.

Four firefighting crews and one caretaker remain on the scene.

9.40am: The Liberation Trail fire west of Coffs Harbour has been downgraded to 'watch and act' status.

It is still covering a massive area – 150,000 hectares, with a perimeter greater than 1000km. But the advice for residents in the area of Yarracooma, Paddys Plain, Cradle Creek, Lowanna, Nana Glen and Coramba is now to "monitor conditions".

That means there are no fires at emergency level in New South Wales for the first time in almost 24 hours."

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top