Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Vitamin D

Having osteoporosis I need a vitamin D supplement, all the medication the doctor has prescribed I've not been able to tolerate. So I'm so pleased to have found Calin it's in a small pot like a yoghurt and contains enough iron you need for a day plus calcium.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Re: Vitamin D

Hi Gabi, just found your post. Havent heard of it before. Vit D is something you need to get by walking in the Sun. We havent had alot
of it this year but get some light on you as well as taking supplements.
Normally you hear that you need calcium for osteroporosis. I keep up
with my milk and cheese. Hope you are well
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Having osteoporosis I need a vitamin D supplement, all the medication the doctor has prescribed I've not been able to tolerate. So I'm so pleased to have found Calin it's in a small pot like a yoghurt and contains enough iron you need for a day plus calcium.
While I'm sure the product you've used will improve your calcium/vitamin D I don't think it should be your only strategy.
While the current UK RNI is 700mg there is good reason to think that may be a bit on the low side.
If we look at what they suggest in the USA

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet:Calcium

You'll see they suggest much higher levels for older people and regard 700mg/daily as adequate for a 3 yr old.
We should be getting MOST of our calcium from food sources, cheese, milk, yoghurt and veggies and fish so it's only the difference between how much your diet is provided and a sensible RDA that you require. There are calcium calculators online that will help you work out how much calcium the other foods/drinks your consuming are contributing. There are reasons (increased stroke risk) why we shouldn't use more than 600mg daily calcium from supplements. The yoghurt base provides about half the calcium in Calin the rest comes from Calcium citrate so that would count as supplemental calcium.

The vitamin D content of Calin really isn't worth counting as it's virtually a placebo amount. Human DNA is set to produce 10,000iu given full body midday summer sun exposure and most UK adults require at least 5000iu daily.
If you look at your Calin you'll see it contains 5µg and your body really needs at least 125µg so as far as Vitamin D is concerned the amount inCalin is far too little to do anything to correct vitamin D deficiency.
Perhaps you could look at the label for me as their website doesn't give any information about the type of Vitamin D they use.

The plant form of Vitamin D is Vitamin D2 ERGOCALCIFEROL while the human form is Vitamin D3 CHOLECALCIFEROL. The chole bit tells you it's made from a form of cholesterol in your skin that changed when UVB rays (sun tanning lamps) hit it. Because the plant form isn't HUMAN the body tends to reject it so compared to Vit D3 the Vit D2 lasts a lot shorter time in the body and therefore because it speeds up vitamin D disposal it's less effective and much less potent.

The label may say Cholecalciferol D3 or Ergocalciferol D2 it would be nice to have it confirmed they are using D3 the human form.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Hi Gabi, just found your post. Havent heard of it before. Vit D is something you need to get by walking in the Sun. We havent had alot
of it this year but get some light on you as well as taking supplements.

Vitamin D day

We won't be able to get Vitamin D from UK sunlight until MARCH.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the interest Ted, I don't eat red meat so need Vitamin D to make up for lack of it. The calcium I can manage with food I intake.

Forgot this You'll have to translate to English then click the last link at the bottom.

http://www.yoplait.be/fr/produit/calin-nature-20
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 03:16 AM

There is a certain irony in the fact that because Australians have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and so have been staying out of the sun they now have a rising incidence of vitamin D deficiency. Certainly not an epidemic but enough to be noticed statistically.

Also there is now a study being carried out to try to determine if MS is caused by a Vitamin D deficiency Apparently the disease is more prevalent in higher latitudes ie it is more common in Tasmania than Queensland for example.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

03-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Thanks for the interest Ted, I don't eat red meat so need Vitamin D to make up for lack of it.
There really aren't ANY food sources for vitamin D that are worth bothering about. None of them provide the amounts of vitamin D3 that the human body is set to produce. Half an hour in full body midday sunshine (when UVB concentration highest) produces 10,000iu at least. No one could consume 25 pots of Calin every day and that is what would be required to get sufficient vitamin d to meet your daily needs.

Forgot this You'll have to translate to English then click the last link at the bottom.
They actually have a UK website
Calin plus uk
But it doesn't say the type of vitamin d they use.
Even though all vitamin D is very cheap the Ergocalciferol form is cheaper so the chances are they are using that rather than the human form. But D2 is only a third of the power of Vitamin D3 so you need 3 times as much for the same action and because of the catabolising effect of D2 you end up needing more and more.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

03-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is a certain irony in the fact that because Australians have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and so have been staying out of the sun they now have a rising incidence of vitamin D deficiency. Certainly not an epidemic but enough to be noticed statistically.
Skin Texture, Cancer and Dietary Fat
The trouble is that now a lot of the foods we consume contain OMEGA 6 which creates inflammation and when skin is inflammed a bit more by UVA exposure the IRON is releasted from our blood and cause damage to the DNA in cells that leads to cancer. If you didn't get sunburnt you would be less likely to get skin cancer. If all men and all post menopausal women became REGULAR blood donors we wouldn't build up excess iron and there would be less damage/less cancer.

Also there is now a study being carried out to try to determine if MS is caused by a Vitamin D deficiency Apparently the disease is more prevalent in higher latitudes ie it is more common in Tasmania than Queensland for example.
This trial will NOT be definative because they are basing the vitamin D intake on a standard amount for all trial participants. We all have different sized bodies and one size vitamin d intake doesn't suit everyone.
Big people Fat people need more. 1000iu/daily for each 25lbs would be better. But even that isn't wholly reliable so regular 25(OH)D testing until you know how much vit d your body requires daily to reach 50ng/ml 125nmol/l is needed.

We need a trial where the 25(OH)D level is maintained at the level humans achieve a natural balance 125nmol/l 50ng/ml when we do that we will see how the body copes with inflammation when it's got to the level at which Vit d works best as an anti inflammatory agent.

In order to work most efficiently it's no good just tuning the car engine. You also need to keep ALL the tyres inflated optimally.
Conducting a Vitamin D trial where you ignore the fact that vitamin d requires ALL it's cofactors present is like testing a new car without inflating the tyres properly.
Gabi
Lancs,.

03-11-2012, 01:40 PM

It says on the pot one is enough for your daily need for Vitamin D you can eat two but no more, children under 6 cannot eat them too. Now if they are wrong do you thing that it's going against the trade description act?
jshumate
New Member!
United States
jshumate is male 

03-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Sufficient vitamin D for seniors is critical to good health, however a few challenges for +50's in getting sufficient Vitamin D.

First, at this stage in life our metabolisms slow and we require fewer calories than in earlier years. To maintain a healthy body composition (low body fat), by keeping calories low, we restrict out options on obtaining sufficient vitamin D from natural food sources.

Second, as we age our body's ability to absorb vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, declines.

Third, through aging our skin can produce about 1/2 the vitamin D it used to when younger.

The best answer is probably a) at least 30 minutes of sunlight exposure each day (when possible), and b) vitamin D supplementation.

And the supplementation part is tricky, as the recommended dosage varies widely depending on age, health issues, life factors, etc. Best to consult your physician on what's right for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top