Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Re: Vitamin D

Originally Posted by jshumate ->
Sufficient vitamin D for seniors is critical to good health, however a few challenges for +50's in getting sufficient Vitamin D.

First, at this stage in life our metabolisms slow and we require fewer calories than in earlier years. To maintain a healthy body composition (low body fat), by keeping calories low, we restrict out options on obtaining sufficient vitamin D from natural food sources.

Second, as we age our body's ability to absorb vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, declines.

Third, through aging our skin can produce about 1/2 the vitamin D it used to when younger.

The best answer is probably a) at least 30 minutes of sunlight exposure each day (when possible), and b) vitamin D supplementation.

And the supplementation part is tricky, as the recommended dosage varies widely depending on age, health issues, life factors, etc. Best to consult your physician on what's right for you.
Thanks John for a simple, sensible, informative post which was very easy to read, when compared to the unbelievably heavy handed and over complex posts of some on this thread....
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
It says on the pot one is enough for your daily need for Vitamin D you can eat two but no more, children under 6 cannot eat them too. Now if they are wrong do you thing that it's going against the trade description act?
They are talking about the Recommended nutrient intake and while they state "official" recommended intakes then no case against them would succeed.

In the same way doctors, health professionals dieticians and nutritionist continue to parrot "official" advice" even though common sense and scientific evidence indicates "official" guidance is leading to increased incidence of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, dementia year on year.

But the "official" recommended amounts are based on the vitamin D amounts required to prevent short latency onset conditions such as rickets.

The conditions which may take 20 years or more to progress to the point they are diagnosed as Diabetes, Dementia, cancer heart disease or metabolic syndrome are not prevented by the amounts "officially" recommended.

Human skin makes 10,000iu ~ 20,000iu vitamin D3 given just a few minutes FULL BODY NON BURNING MIDDAY SUMMER sun exposure. You have to decide if it's likely your DNA is wrong to provide such a high amount of vitamin D3 naturally or if the "official" recommended amount is correct?

I think any human who decides they know better than God or the power of Evolutionary forces is probably a fool.

My view is that we are best advised to follow what happens naturally when humans live as humans evolved.

In practice it's almost invariably the case that people with the highest vitamin D levels (consistent with those naturally attained and maintained living naked outdoor lives) live longer, experience less pain, suffer fewer infections, fewer allergies and maintain higher lung function and fewer fractures.

I keep my 25(OH)D at 50ng/ml ~ 125nmol/l the level associated with the highest quality of life and least chronic illness but if you are happy to live with chronic illness and lower quality of life then that's your choice and you are welcome to it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Was thinking much the same Barry.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jshumate ->
And the supplementation part is tricky, as the recommended dosage varies widely depending on age, health issues, life factors, etc. Best to consult your physician on what's right for you.
While I agree with the first part of this post the idea that your physician is best able to say what is right for you is IMO dangerously misguided.

All health professionals are required to be insured against claims that may be made against them and to stay within the terms of the insurance they are REQUIRED to only give advice within current medical consensus. So it is almost inevitable that MOST health professionals will only give advice within the accepted "consensus" opinion and that is woefully inadequate to PREVENT the onset of chronic disease.

In order to ensure your optimum wellbeing you have to take personal responsibility for your own health and understand that a life which relies on more and more medications year on year is not in your own best interest. It may be good for doctors incomes and drug company profits but it's not the best option for you.

Learning how your DNA is programmed to act in your best interests and following the guidance of the leading Vitamin D experts is likely to result in better outcomes than we can see that following official guidance results in.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

03-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Was thinking much the same Barry.
Just because advice is simple doesn't mean it is sensible.

Does any reasonable person want to see the year on year increase in chronic disabling conditions and dementia?
That is the inevitable outcome for remaining gullible and ignorant.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

PS ) at least 30 minutes of sunlight exposure each day (when possible), and b) vitamin D supplementation.
My point is that the Vitamin D supplementation must be in line with the same amount of Vitamin D production that 30 minutes FULL BODY MIDDAY SUN EXPOSURE would normally produce.
Which is why we have to ignore the advice of health professionals and use NATURAL amounts of the NATURAL human form of Vitamin D3.
Our body knows best how much vitamin D3 we require and every inch of our body surface is ready to make Vitamin D3 given UVB exposure. If you prevent that by only exposing hands/face then you must substitute an EQUIVALENT amount of supplemental vitamin D3.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by TedHutchinson ->

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bit like your posts Ted....
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 04:54 PM

I'm happy eating these little pots flavoured with Vanilla (my choice) they only cost £1 for four so it's not expensive. I do get out and about so I am, on a sunshine day getting some Vitamin D.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

03-11-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Bit like your posts Ted....
I have faith that eventually you will all understand nature knows best so allowing your body to attain/maintain the level it would naturally reach equilibrium is simply common sense.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

03-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I'm happy eating these little pots flavoured with Vanilla (my choice) they only cost £1 for four so it's not expensive. I do get out and about so I am, on a sunshine day getting some Vitamin D.
You will only be getting Vitamin D from sunshine between March and September in the UK.
If you only expose hands/arms/face then only 10% of skin surface exposed and only a fraction of the vitamin D your DNA evolved to create can be produced. It's actually a bit worse than that because UVA from sunlight through a car windscreen window glass/ covered shopping precinct (and from fluorescent lights) actually processes vitamin D near skin surface into supersterols the body doesn't use so if you spend a lot of time in the conservatory or working near a sunny window (or close to fluorescent lighting) your vitamin D made on hands/face/arms will be degraded.

If you expose to sunlight skin that normally kept under clothes then after sunbathing that skin is protected from sunlight (by clothes) and so is the newly made vitamin D.
This is the reason why people who follow "official" guidance for Sun Exposure remain Vitamin D deficient.

It's quite easy to find out if I'm correct or not by getting yourself Vitamin D tested. Then use the "official" Vitamin D intake for 3 months and see how little change their is. Then use a sensible natural amount of vitamin D for 3 months, retest and you'll see the difference.

It's not that expensive and you'll then know for certain why I am so confident I'm only stating the obvious.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Can't think how I've managed to past my three score years and ten. I'm still active mind g/kids, have hobbies get out and about. I must have had my sunshine hat on all my life. on the other hand I do have many sunshine holidays but not at a nudist camp so they won't count.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top