Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 02:01 PM

'africa'

Did anyone see the new 'Africa' docu... Its one of the best so far - compelling. The Drongo bird watches the Meerkats forage then gives out a warning call to alert them, which he does on a genuine basis, but now and again, he gives the call and as they scamper away, he dives down for the snacks left behind. The Meerkates know this trick now so he tried a new one which meant mimicking the sound of the Meerkat guard, who is on alert duty, they 'fell' for that one - fascinating stuff - brilliantly filmed..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Re: 'africa'

We are watching Africa as well Pats. Did you see the second episode on Wednesday, the part with the giraffes in the Namib - when the two bulls fought. I didn't expect the old one to win the battle and thought when he went down that would be it. Those necks are amazingly strong.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 11:57 PM

Africa is breathtaking and yes I saw the two giraffes fight. That old bull was cunning and in a way I was relieved he won. Didn't know that was the 2nd episode, I've missed one somewhere.
Just been watching Gordon Buchanan's The Polar Bear Family and Me. This is wonderful too and is on again tomorrow evening.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Just when you thought you'd seen it all, along comes Attenborough with something new.....fabulous stuff...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
We are watching Africa as well Pats. Did you see the second episode on Wednesday, the part with the giraffes in the Namib - when the two bulls fought. I didn't expect the old one to win the battle and thought when he went down that would be it. Those necks are amazingly strong.
Good news - the episode we saw was the 'first' one - 2nd one tomorrow.... The filming of the giraffes - 'ouch' felt every blow ! Thank goodness it did not last as long as it looked - glad the old fella won though......
Stunning is the word for 'Africa'....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 02:14 PM

You are spot on Pats - I was mistaken and it was the first episode. I have been waiting for this one to start for so long and got mixed up - originally thought it was going to be on a Sunday and got in front with the days and programes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
You are spot on Pats - I was mistaken and it was the first episode. I have been waiting for this one to start for so long and got mixed up - originally thought it was going to be on a Sunday and got in front with the days and programes.
Hi Rena, I know what you mean, got a bit muddled meself...
I was looking at Sunday thinking it was an episode and its the repeat ! Love your bird picture by the way - bird mad is Pats ! We record 'everything' - so will be a day or two before I see Africa again....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2013, 12:10 PM

'Africa' - episode 2 - Stunning !
The 'shoe bill' bird, I have seen before and it just does 'not' look real....
It looks like a computer image....fascinating and pre-historic in looks.
The scenes are captivating - the team do such wonderful work...
The elephants scenes were so emotional. There are tears, smiles and joy with this series and David A is unsurpassable as a presenter.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 02:27 PM

As always with David Attenborough a brilliant programme. Amboseli is a favourite place of mine, even though it is very arid. I saw my first ever Leopard in Amboseli, which was really brilliant and despite the many times we went to Kenya and the fact we lived there until moving to Spain, it was the one and only time we ever saw a Leopard in the wild. We love the wildlife programmes, especially the ones that are filmed around places and areas we know.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
As always with David Attenborough a brilliant programme. Amboseli is a favourite place of mine, even though it is very arid. I saw my first ever Leopard in Amboseli, which was really brilliant and despite the many times we went to Kenya and the fact we lived there until moving to Spain, it was the one and only time we ever saw a Leopard in the wild. We love the wildlife programmes, especially the ones that are filmed around places and areas we know.
You must have great memories. If I could travel I doubt I would venture there, the insects would be a big problem for me - as it is, I have a hand held gadget that 'hoovers' them up so I can dispose of 'outside'.. In Africa, my time would be spent mainly 'hoovering'.. So I will just to have to appreciate the efforts of David and Co..
BTW - did you ever see a Cheetah...my favourite big cat...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top