Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Mediterranean Diet

Every so often, we are advised to take up a Mediterranean diet in order to improve our health (but mainly to reduce coronory heart disease).

They often cite things about the Mediterranean diet that aren't strictly true - the Spaniards, for instance, love their pork and meatballs they certainly like their rock salt! But, in general, they don't seem too fond of processed food.

I was reading the latest article about this diet and noticed one respondent recommended looking up 'your' countries position on the World Life Expectancy Tables - so I did. I was very surprised to see that the United Kingdom ranks 155 (very low risk) with 68.5 deaths per 100,000. Spain does sit at 185 with 42.5 deaths per 100,000.

Would the weather play an important part in their overall better health? Would a relaxed way of life play a part? Would enforced holidays/breaks from work play a part in that? Close family ties?

How much of their lower rates of coronory heart disease would be down to diet?

If our healthcare system wants us to be healthier, why don't they also try some of the things I've mentioned above?

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...se/by-country/
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Re: Mediterranean Diet

A Mediterranean diet is ok, providing we have the Mediterranean climateto go with it - how about we tow the UK another 10 - 15 degrees (of Latitude) further South???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Just had a quick look at that site and if you search for other causes we come much higher for alcohol deaths than the Spanish.

I wonder if it is more to do with that than the food ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Hyjacking Thread!

Well Med Diet looks good but mine does the job for me .

I think I have a cracking diet now since investing in a 'Salad Chef'. Defrosted frozen fruit from Tesco's in the morning with soya based yoghurt. I bought a box of dried banana - dried as opposed to fried - and I have a handful of that for din dins which provides tons of carbos for running. In the evening I have a few helpings of salad and chicken. My running is improving daily with a great improvement in stamina. Been eating like it for a while now too and all aspects of my apetite seem to be satisfied .

2 helpings of this - prepared with my SALAD CHEF

Oh I would also like to add I have a few Salad Chefs for sale if anyone is interested . Only joking...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Is that one of those mandolin type things ? My luck I would be serving up bits of fingers with the veg !!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Is that one of those mandolin type things ? My luck I would be serving up bits of fingers with the veg !!
This Over50s forum post shows you in detail.

Salad Chef

The thing works great for me but for other I don't know.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:31 PM

BV

You could be right about the weather playing a part. We are pretty warm most of the year and eat lots of salads and lighter foods Like Thai foods, also lots of seafoods, probably a diet more like the Spanish or Mediterraneans too, plenty of sun and outdoor activities.

I also have a glass of wine with main meals, which is supposed to aid digestion. The Spanish and others seem to drink more wine at meal times than us.

I think that with your weather you tend to eat more hot meals because you need it when the weather is especially cold. So you would eat stews and things like that because you need it. Where we are eating a lot more raw vegetables, which are healthier.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Would the weather play an important part in their overall better health? Would a relaxed way of life play a part? Would enforced holidays/breaks from work play a part in that? Close family ties?
BV looking at the countries in your table with a high rate of CHD they seem to be rather mixed with a variety of climates from very hot to cold and an equally varied diet .

I don't know how anyone can see a pattern of cause and effect there .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

06-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
This Over50s forum post shows you in detail.

Salad Chef

The thing works great for me but for other I don't know.
Think I will stick with my trusty knife and chopping board, or the food processor if I get desperate.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Ready meals and junk food are the causes of a bad diet . In england supermarkets there are 2/3 lanes of them, Here in france and other med countries I have been too there is one small corner of the frozen area where you never see any one , The fresh fruit and veg area takes up a good third of the shop.... Sheer lazy-ness is the problem with UK people .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top