Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Re: Mediterranean Diet

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Ready meals and junk food are the causes of a bad diet . In england supermarkets there are 2/3 lanes of them, Here in france and other med countries I have been too there is one small corner of the frozen area where you never see any one , The fresh fruit and veg area takes up a good third of the shop.... Sheer lazy-ness is the problem with UK people .....

Speak for yourself Baggy darlin' - as you know I am a gormand and cook most days for myself from fresh ingredients.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
BV

You could be right about the weather playing a part. We are pretty warm most of the year and eat lots of salads and lighter foods Like Thai foods, also lots of seafoods, probably a diet more like the Spanish or Mediterraneans too, plenty of sun and outdoor activities.

I also have a glass of wine with main meals, which is supposed to aid digestion. The Spanish and others seem to drink more wine at meal times than us.

I think that with your weather you tend to eat more hot meals because you need it when the weather is especially cold. So you would eat stews and things like that because you need it. Where we are eating a lot more raw vegetables, which are healthier.
Hi Sandi, I've noticed Meg's asked a question so I'll put my observation in answer to hers. However, you've mentioned lighter food rather than the heavier diet we tend to eat in the UK - I wonder if that is significant? I'm not sure that the Spanish are heavy drinkers - they like a bottle of plonk but when living there and I offered Spanish workmen something to drink (my husband offered them a cold beer) they refused and preferred water saying that alcohol 'is no good in sunshine'!
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:35 PM

I know you have far better taste than a ready meal diet .....UJ

In fact you should be in the where to eat guide ? '0)
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
BV looking at the countries in your table with a high rate of CHD they seem to be rather mixed with a variety of climates from very hot to cold and an equally varied diet .

I don't know how anyone can see a pattern of cause and effect there .
As mentioned earlier, I have lived in Spain for a few years and one thing I did notice is that bruises and cuts seem to heal much more quickly and as the climate was the only real difference, I'd put it down to that. I also felt generally healthier (physically and mentally) in that climate (until it got too hot then I'd scurry back here until September!). Maybe regular Vitamin D has something to do with it?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:37 PM

I know you have far better taste than a ready meal diet .....UJ

In fact you should be in the where to eat guide ? '0)

Not WHERE Baggy darlin' - but WHAT and in what quantity!!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Ready meals and junk food are the causes of a bad diet . In england supermarkets there are 2/3 lanes of them, Here in france and other med countries I have been too there is one small corner of the frozen area where you never see any one , The fresh fruit and veg area takes up a good third of the shop....
Very true - there is little convenience foodstuffs (that we would eat, I have seen tinned and jarred octopus/squid and other stuff I wouldn't eat).

Sheer lazy-ness is the problem with UK people .....
Not all UK people ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:44 PM

I think we're more stressed out here, not to mention depressed because of the weather we have to put up with, also we don't express our emotions like the Mediterraneans, therefore don't get rid of our stress
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I think we're more stressed out here, not to mention depressed because of the weather we have to put up with, also we don't express our emotions like the Mediterraneans. Don't think I spelled that right):
I also think stress plays a big part in it all. I think Brits live a life surrounded by anxiety and aided little, if at all, by government. Spanish governments (local ones) do seem to pay a lot of attention to creating a social setting for it's people and paying more attention to workers not being overworked. No diet in the world will compete with that.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Yes, I think there is no one thing that contributes but a combination of things.

BV even the hospitals here have a glass of wine on their menus for their main meal at night as they say it aids digestion.

What horrifies me though is when in the supermarkets you see women with children and their shopping trollies are loaded with convenience meals very little fresh fruit and vegetables. Cereals that are loaded with sugar. Children learn their eating habits from the home and usually that's what they carry on with throughout their life and when you hear parent's say "Oh, my kids will only eat junk food." Well they only have themselves to blame for not teaching them in the first place.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

07-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Yes, I think there is no one thing that contributes but a combination of things.
It has to be doesn't it; it doesn't make sense for so much emphasis to be placed on one thing.

BV even the hospitals here have a glass of wine on their menus for their main meal at night as they say it aids digestion.
I've been fortunate enough (in the past) to have private medical treatment and they also offer wine with a meal (wasted on me as I don't drink).

What horrifies me though is when in the supermarkets you see women with children and their shopping trollies are loaded with convenience meals very little fresh fruit and vegetables. Cereals that are loaded with sugar. Children learn their eating habits from the home and usually that's what they carry on with throughout their life and when you hear parent's say "Oh, my kids will only eat junk food." Well they only have themselves to blame for not teaching them in the first place.
There is a lot of truth in that. I'm not wholly sold on the sugar thing though. I ate lots of sugar as a child (sweets, my mum's home made pop, puddings were also very sugary - even the mint sauce she made had sugar in it!) and I think of all the old-fashined puddings: jam roly-poly, spotted dick with syrup, treacle tart, every fruit pie had a liberal sprinkling of sugar on top of the pastry and yet we have an abundance of healthy pensioners who didn't die early. I know a lot of that can be put down to medical intervention but if sugar was the main culprit, wouldn't that have been acknowledged before now? I think they just think up new bogeymen to throw at us and then sit back to wait and see what happens!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top