Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 06:50 PM

New Diet Fad ...

... and it's called the cotton wool 'diet'.

That's the stark warning from health experts after a teen girl from the US uploaded a video of herself trying to eat cotton balls soaked in orange juice - a tactic models use (allegedly) to stay thin.

Bria Murphy, the 23-year-old daughter of Eddie, talked about her experience seeing other models chowing down on cotton wool to stay skinny. And she's not the first.

Tell-all books by models and other fashion insiders have referenced this strange behaviour and now it seems ordinary women are trying it to solve their own weight loss problems.

Eating non-edible objects such as cotton wool can cause them to build up in your intestines forming a trapped mass called a bezoar. This can be life threatening.

Should governments take a much firmer stance with the fashion industry given the physical and mental damage caused to young girls trying to emulate what they see on tv and in the press? Spain and Italy banned underweight models (who generally have the waist size of an 8 year old girl) but Britain and France refused.

Do you think it is the fashion industry, the media or something else that is failing these young, impressionable girls?

A question to the men: do you (and be truthful!) prefer a female with curves or a female with a very slim, toned body?

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/cotton...6730.html?vp=1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ro-models.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Re: New Diet Fad ...

This isn't new I remember two of the girls at my school were taken to hospital on more than one occasion came out in the end they had been eating tissues and cotton wool to keep their weight down. They were both wanting to be ballerinas. but needed to lose weight for the lifts.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Blimey.

You would think that by now with the potential for huge money someone would have made edible zero calorie food that doesn't harm us. Think of the demand for it. But the above? Horrible.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Why oh why do people abuse their own bodies. They should be looking after them, after all, you only get the one.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
This isn't new I remember two of the girls at my school were taken to hospital on more than one occasion came out in the end they had been eating tissues and cotton wool to keep their weight down. They were both wanting to be ballerinas. but needed to lose weight for the lifts.
It's new to me and I'll bet a fair few others. The girl in the video had a bit of trouble swallowing the cotton wool ball even though she'd wet it first.

My cousin trained as a ballerina but when she grew a bit too tall and got a tad too heavy, my aunt told her that ballet was clearly not for her - turns out she was a wise woman then.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Why oh why do people abuse their own bodies. They should be looking after them, after all, you only get the one.
That's the puzzling part isn't it. The urge to 'fit in' seems to be a bigger driver than the urge to survive.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 07:25 PM

remember the beautiful film stars of the 50's ..Ava Gardner....Susan Hayward
and the rest....the film stars and models of today are not a patch on them. and it's scary that young girls now think they must look like them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 07:55 PM

I have 'never' heard this one ! Absolutely stunned !
Common sense should prevail, obviously haven't any !

Lavender, you are so right and they loved their curves didn't they ....
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 08:01 PM

yes Patsy...and i bet all the men did too
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
yes Patsy...and i bet all the men did too
They sure did !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top