Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Re: New Diet Fad ...

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I hadn't heard of this either. What a terrible thing to do and so dangerous.
I have two granddaughters, neither is stick thin but I hope they never read of this or hear about it from their friends.
My youngest granddaughter is barely a size 8 and she is 5ft 6" tall and just picks at food. She is now convinced she's overweight and restricting her food intake even more. Her father is coming down very hard on her to try and head her off that course - he's worried about her. She wants to be size 6 or, preferably, size 4 much too thin for her height.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Oh jeez Karen. I do feel for you .. I hope her dad wins on this one!
Tell her skinny girls are usually ugly and make wrinkles very quickly, boys don't like skinny girls.. anything, just to stop her losing more weight.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:57 PM

We used to stuff our bras with cotton wool to makes us look bigger!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:58 PM

What a turnaround !
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
My youngest granddaughter is barely a size 8 and she is 5ft 6" tall and just picks at food. She is now convinced she's overweight and restricting her food intake even more. Her father is coming down very hard on her to try and head her off that course - he's worried about her. She wants to be size 6 or, preferably, size 4 much too thin for her height.
These are very worrying signs b~v..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 11:40 PM

Well I hope someone gets her to see sense BV, cos that sounds a bit worrying if you don't mind me saying.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2013, 08:30 AM

There are 8 calories in a standard serving of Iceberg lettuce (just looked it up) and found:

GOOD POINTS
Very low in saturated fat
No cholesterol
High in calcium
Very high in dietary fiber
High in iron
Very high in manganese
High in magnesium
High in phosphorus
Very high in potassium
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C

But - was shocked at this bit:

Very high in sugar! No wonder I like Iceberg more than any other lettuce

That is amazing - would never have thought of lettuce as having a high sugar content. Did you find this on a website and do they list other foods in this way? Could be interesting to read!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2013, 09:01 PM

That reminds me of the candy floss they used to sell at the seaside and fairs, maybe that might fill the gap, a lump of it the size of a balloon would only weigh a couple of grams and if you cut it up you could make 4 servings on 4 plates, tastes better than cotton wool and won't form knots in your belly.
Fresh air sandwiches with no butter like we got for years after the war are another way of staying thin, cakes and sweets were out of the question then. Another way to take your mind off eating was to have a woodbine or suck a stick of celery, not many overweight people around in those days.
I suppose you can't blame the kids too much for wanting to be thin when they see the other end of the scale, It's not easy raising kids today. I hear on the news obesity is costing the UK government 5 billion a year, it's so sad, how the hell do we let that happen to people.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
These are very worrying signs b~v..
They are Pats - she already looks so thin. My daughter doesn't seem too bothered about it and thinks she'll grow out of it but I think my son-in-law is taking the right approach. The strange thing is, she desperately wants a boyfriend and even the lads are telling her she's too thin!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

26-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I hope someone gets her to see sense BV, cos that sounds a bit worrying if you don't mind me saying.
No, I don't mind at all. It's something we can't talk about as she gets so angry if it's mentioned; it's kind of nice to be able to mention it to be honest.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top