Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Re: 'Dont Cap My Benefits'

I avoid this type of TV as much as I possibly can, unless my wife wants to watch it but then I'll read instead!

Like Statistics, a TV programme can be manipulated.

By clever editing to show what the producer and editor want you to see you can portray people as pig-ignorant members of a violent, drug-and drink-ridden underclass or innocent victims of conspiracies or injustice.

The tendency tends to lean towards the shock / horror show and you usually get only part of the story.

I've said this before but I'll say it again - the vast majority of people on Benefits are law abiding people just wanting enough to live on; whether that's by working themselves if they can get jobs or claiming benefits they are entitled to claim.

Virtually every street or road in every village / town / community will know of someone abusing the system or have been told of one so a pattern emerges that the whole of society is riddled with them when that's just not true.

TV companies commission this type of programme because they know they will fill the all-important ratings and the ever-increasing void where intelligent TV programming used to reside.

The more people watch this dross the more we'll get until we have wall-to-wall Jeremy Kyle-type shows and nothing else.
stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Good post Steve in some respects. Don't watch progs like Jeremy Kyle at all.
I disagree though, on these docus as 'some' are important to put us in the picture as to whats going on.
I did not know for instance about the councils using private bailiff firms to collect fines and you had to see the thugs that do the collecting. Outrageous behaviour. The Government need to step in and fast - that wont happen, they couldn't care any less .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 10:39 AM

Food for thought Steve, what I feel they miss is being critical of the system that has made this problem and the greedy landlords making millions from the system. That is where the real story is.

Also something bothered me greatly about last nights show was where they said if people worked 16 hours they would be better off than working full time at NMW ! How can that be fair ? when I see my husband struggling to work two jobs from 5am - 8.30pm I think he should be better off than someone working 16 hours otherwise why is he bothering ?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Good post Steve in some respects. Don't watch progs like Jeremy Kyle at all.
I disagree though, on these docus as 'some' are important to put us in the picture as to whats going on.
I did not know for instance about the councils using private bailiff firms to collect fines and you had to see the thugs that do the collecting. Outrageous behaviour. The Government need to step in and fast - that wont happen, they couldn't care any less .......
Yes but I was referring to Benefit Claimant bashing shows in particular Patsy.

The other types of documentaries are informative Yes but again sometimes, you often only get a one-sided perspective - the one the producers want you to react to.

If you want more in-depth information on a whole range of injustices and inequalities it's not that hard to find it and for me much of it is is jaw-dropping stuff that's known by those in high places but ignored or even tacitly condoned and there seems to be no inroads on those levels of injustice, inequalities and pure misuse of public funds at all!

One going on locally is a town council that wants to change the name of it's railway station - at a cost of £200,000 to the Council Tax payer.

At least that appeared on our local BBC but there's hundreds of others we're all paying out for all the time when council services are being slashed to the bone.

I could go on but I don't want to hog the thread! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 12:46 PM

I know where you're coming from Steve, but I can differentiate and pick apart a docu, I spot things very easily and will switch off if its in any way 'tabloid' .......
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Not sure if it could be considered as 'benefit capping', but I am a pensioner and I get Pension Credit, so obviously someone somewhere considers that my income is insufficient and requires topping up; my son, who has a DLA and who works, gets a working tax credit allowance, so again, someone somewhere considers that his income is insufficient and also requires topping up. However, a year ago he had a minor pay rise, (tax credit adjusted to compensate of course) and because of this MY rent allowance has been removed and MY council tax allowance reduced!! He is not a joint tenant, but the PTB consider him as another adult in the household. Fortunately he has no objection to increasing his 'board' to compensate, but what if he refused?

I find this particularly annoying in view of the ongoing scandal re MPs and their allowances etc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-04-2014, 04:58 PM

You have every right to be annoyed - I find it sickening how they look after themselves so well
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 06:59 PM

I did watch the programme and although I felt sympathy for the families involved I think people have to be realistic and to realise we can not go on supporting everyone in the manner to which they have become accustom.

Two of the families had 5 children and one had 7 . I am sorry if this sounds harsh but I think if you are a refugee in another country and find it difficult to get work you really should use family planning and not expect everyone else to provide for your children .
One of these families had a house with a rent of £2,000 a month .

There was a time when benefits were to help the long term sick and those who needed temporary help not to support people arriving here with huge families for life.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I did watch the programme and although I felt sympathy for the families involved I think people have to be realistic and to realise we can not go on supporting everyone in the manner to which they have become accustom.

Two of the families had 5 children and one had 7 . I am sorry if this sounds harsh but I think if you are a refugee in another country and find it difficult to get work you really should use family planning and not expect everyone else to provide for your children .
One of these families had a house with a rent of £2,000 a month .

There was a time when benefits were to help the long term sick and those who needed temporary help not to support people arriving here with huge families for life.
And that is exactly why I got angry!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top