Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 08:02 PM

Re: Anyone Heard Of FODMAP eating plan for IBS

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Most IBS sufferers don't need medication, they can manage their IBS by carefully avoiding foods that they have found triggers irritating the bowel, and by trying to avoid stress which can be another trigger.
Pats, yes some may not need meds, some do. You can't speak for everyone.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree Pats, my husband being one of them. He was prescribed medication when first diagnosed but still had frequent flare ups so we changed his diet ....soya milk replaced dairy milk and he stopped eating wheat products, they were to two big changes. I'm pleased to say he hasn't had an attack for over a year now.
Mags I'm glad it worked for your husband. Sadly, such changes don't work for everyone. Wouldn't it be great if it did
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Mags I'm glad it worked for your husband. Sadly, such changes don't work for everyone. Wouldn't it be great if it did
No I agree it doesn't work for everyone Alice but I think more people these days are willing to change their diets to help themselves.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

24-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
No I agree it doesn't work for everyone Alice but I think more people these days are willing to change their diets to help themselves.
Definitely Mags. Just wish it would work for everyone. It's a horrible problem.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

24-02-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I refuse to try any more medication, nothing works it just gives the doctors time to think up something else to stop you getting a proper diagnosis. I'm just going to go by my gut instinct!
Hope you do find something that works Twiz
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Thanks Alice, my doctor is trying to get a second opinion from the RUH in Bath but, I have to wait until March just to go on the waiting list, thankfully I haven't lost any more weight since I've been on Complan so it's not urgent anymore. But as my sister died of bowel cancer last year, it's still very worrying.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Pats, yes some may not need meds, some do. You can't speak for everyone.
No you can't...and I certainly wasn't....but it is a fact that many manage their IBS by diet.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

24-02-2015, 09:46 PM

No you can't...and I certainly wasn't....but it is a fact that many manage their IBS by diet.
Might be many, but not all..........
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:46 PM

Most IBS sufferers don't need medication, they can manage their IBS by carefully avoiding foods that they have found triggers irritating the bowel, and by trying to avoid stress which can be another trigger.

There is no medication that helps, you can take peppermint capsules etc and anti spasmodic's for when the gripes are really bad but they have very limited use.
As the problem is caused by the sugars which your body can't deal with the only solution is to find the best way of eliminating those sugars from your diet.
That is really what I am aiming to do at present.

I have had symptoms since I was a teenager to the present day with times when I've lost a lot of weight and been virtually unable to leave the house.
I've had cramps which were comparable with labour pains which I've had to do labour style breathing to get through.
Other gruesome symptoms I won't elaborate on.

It's seriously restricted my life for many years and the Buscopan (for spasms) and Colpermin etc have really not helped much.

At least the understanding of IBS is better now and we know what is the main reason for the symptoms so I can now try to do something to help myself.

Regarding the Paleo diet that does have merit as we have the same digestive system as the very early human beings had.
We are modern day humans with a cave man digestive system which is part of the problem.

it's said that 60PC of us white Europeans can't digest wheat properly (wheat is a new cereal in comparative terms) and it causes inflammation and damage to the villi which we need to obtain nutrition from our diet.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Might be many, but not all..........
Unfortunately any meds are of little help as I've found.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top