Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:02 PM

Vitamin D

They're at it again. I read on the BBC web site....

"Everyone should consider taking vitamin D supplements to counter the lack of sunshine in England, government experts are proposing."

God save us all from experts.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:12 PM

Re: Vitamin D

Get out into the fresh air and sunshine, it's much better for you than supplements.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Well I get out and about a lot in the sunshine, but my GP has just given me a prescription for Vitamin D tablets as my levels were extremely low, and they are working wonders for me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Me too Susie, my levels were down to 13 when they should be about 200, despite walking 3 times a day for between half and hour and an hour outside. We are supposed to use sunscreen to prevent cancer which I do as my family is prone to cancers and that means I need help with my vitamin D.

My sister in law is also on the supplements and she works out doors 7 hours a day with no sun screen so it's well worth getting the simple blood test if it is offered to you.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Apparently there's a huge rise in the number of fractures kids get....and lots of kids' vitaminD is low, plus their mums plaster sunscreen on them
= you can't win!!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Yes Julie my Vit. D levels are the same as yours 13. I have only been on them for one month, my GP started me of with just two tablets a week, strong ones to bring my levels up a bit, now I am on one a day at a low doseage.

Yes I don't think these Sunscreen creams really work unless you buy really expensive ones.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:07 PM

I'm having to take 4 a day as I am apparently also not absorbing them enough, hoping by end of August to be down to 2 a day if my levels have risen a bit. It's 2 steps forward and one back with this at the moment. I think believing the pain was part of my MS I have left it rather too long before complaining about how I was feeling.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:16 PM

North of somewhere in the region of Birmingham, the UK does not have enough sunshine in the winter so that people can make vitamin D naturally. Plus people seem to cover themselves in sun screen at the slightest sign of the sun. I know we should use it sometimes if sitting out in the sun for a long while, but we do also need to have some sunshine on our skin too when possible. Scurvy is coming back in children, not so much from poor families, but from more wealthy ones who cover their children in sunscreen and so they cannot make vitamin D naturally.
I have taken vitamin D tablets for a number of years, not very high a dose in the summer, but a bit more in the winter and so far I seem to be pretty healthy.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well I get out and about a lot in the sunshine, but my GP has just given me a prescription for Vitamin D tablets as my levels were extremely low, and they are working wonders for me.
In what way do you feel better Susie ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Can't speak for Susie but lack of vitamin D caused in me terrible limb pain, I can hardly stand in the mornings, very tired - feel like 103 instead of 53. Taking the tablets I can get up easier, pain is gradually going and I am almost my usual happy wide awake self again. Reason I said 2 steps forward and 1 back was I don't seem to get better gradually I can feel really well for 2 days and then hardly able to get out of bed the next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top