Join for free
Page 103 of 370 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 04:41 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I think you call them Tactical Trousers, standard issue for all kinds of Enforcement Officers.

They are waterproof, flameproof up to 500 C, slash and cut resistant.

The ones I have have extra armour on the thighs and knees.

Great if you ever fancy getting in a bar fight Surfermom,
Aha! I am following you now. I suppose we will have to leave the tight leather pants to OGF.

I fancy a lot of things, bar fights not being one of them - though I did (sort of) trigger one (actually alcohol did) two years ago when I went into a beach bar hoping to use a phone to find the owner of a dog that had gotten loose on the beach...

I will spare the forum the details except to say that some "gentleman" was overly flirtatious and another guy swooped in trying to be noble and force an apology. I just wanted a phone and to get out of there.

The good news was that I was able to get the dog back to his frantic owners.

Given that I am not planning on doing any law enforcement or running into burning buildings anytime soon, I think I will stick with little black dresses, and leave the Kevlar and bar rows with you - and beach bars to the beer drinkers, chivalrous or not.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 05:26 AM

Thanks for your good wishes Floydy. I really like it that we keep each other motivated and moving around here. It's remarkable that we are fit at all, given all the typing we do .

The strange thing about aging is that injuries crop up that we've never experienced before. The old "give it three days and an aspirin" doesn't work quite as well, leaving us scratching our heads.

I am on day two of the additional exercise. Busy day had me working out at nine this evening. C'est la vie.

Take care. .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Thanks for your good wishes Floydy. I really like it that we keep each other motivated and moving around here. It's remarkable that we are fit at all, given all the typing we do .

The strange thing about aging is that injuries crop up that we've never experienced before. The old "give it three days and an aspirin" doesn't work quite as well, leaving us scratching our heads.

I am on day two of the additional exercise. Busy day had me working out at nine this evening. C'est la vie.

Take care. .
Yes, ageing is a strange and worrying occurrence we never quite expect to reach. Dunno about you Surfermom, but it happened all of a sudden with me. Soon as I turned 50, that downward spiral began to oscillate wildly! The trick is to never give in, never give up and hopefully we will ride it out lol!

What did your own training consist of yesterday by the way? Running, exercises at home?

I didn't get my legs done yesterday as I got bogged down again with my music thread () but today I have plenty of time after my slumber as my weekend begins very soon. Plans are to visit my dad's grave and then perform a (cautious) legs session, followed hopefully by enough upper body work so that I can catch up with my undoubted broken sleep during Friday night. Saturday afternoon is a little drinking session with a couple of pals.

Have a good weekend you and Bob. Bob...where are you bud?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 04:15 PM

I'm here Floydy, trouble is I can't concentrate very well if there is someone else in the house interrupting me and my blogs don't 'flow'....Not that anyone notices.....

I've just been over on the 'Jesus' thread and was bursting with things to say, but I thought I'd better show my face in here first.....

Surfermom! how long have you known me?....Leather Pants?....Do you think I'm an Alice Cooper impersonator?.......I only wear trousers (pants) unless it's extremely cold, and never for running in......

Anyway, that aside, how did you get on with your new running shoes?
I hate having to change the model and manufacturer of my running shoes because they are no longer available. And to all the non-runners out there, you can run in shorts with your bum hanging out or vests and tee shirts that were intended for someone with Floydy's build, but shoes are the most important part of any respectable runners attire...Run naked if you must (just support the dangly bits) but make sure that your shoes are in good nick and fit correctly....

Oh, and another thing.....Age is bugger all.....It's all in the mind, go out there and give it the best you can, nobody said it was going to be easy.....
Why is it though, that when an injury occurs you always fear the worst. I had an abysmal run on Tuesday and the little bloke on my shoulder was saying "Is this it? Perhaps your heart has had enough? Keep this up and another Heart Attack will surely follow" Even the little twinge in my chest all added to the drama....

Probably was indigestion, because Thursday's run was awesome! Good conditions, decent weather and the best time of the year over the six mile course! Mind you, I have only run it half a dozen times this year.....

So on to this morning....A fast three miles in nine point something, damn good for me........Heart Attack.....Baaaaa...

Something interesting happened earlier on in the week though.....
I needed some travel insurance for our forthcoming cruise to the Caribbean.
For the last few years I've been with 'Staysure' and taken out annual insurance for around three hundred quid. Well I cancelled it last year because we didn't travel out of the country. So I give them a ring, and they refused me annual insurance quoting me and Mrs Fox just single trip insurance.......EIGHT HUNDRED QUID.....WHAT....

Anyway I ring up another company and he was asking me questions about my medical history. After a while talking to him on the phone:- Yer, two Heart Attacks, two lots of Heart surgery....I flatly refuse to take any medication (Statins) and my last Heart Attack was just four years ago in 2014......I realised that I wouldn't give me any insurance either......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

26-01-2018, 06:45 PM

Hi, OGF!

As far apart as the Atlantic keeps us, that rotten little negative bugger in our ear is ubiquitous, isn't he! I was a bit worried since we hadn't heard from you in this neighborhood of the forum, so it's a bit of a relief that you popped by for dessert. I'm delighted to hear that your run was speedy and successful....thought anytime we go out, just passing over the threshold into the light is a success of its own.

The shoes are doing well though I have been having a few back twinges and can't help suspec the new model. Like you, I had stocked up on multiple pairs when the old style was retired, and felt like I should hang a wreath or mourning around here when the last pair began to show wear.

Now as for you and leather pants, after cutting such a distinguished and polished appearance in your tuxedo, I was deeply concerned that the admiration and swooning might go to your head. So, to cool the fast-beating hearts imagining you as the modern day Cary Grant, I thought the suggestion of you in leather pants might provide a bit of balance - you know, a little salt with the sugar . Hmmm, perhaps stirring up those images might well fan the flames.....

Now that I think about it, I have never seen any man wear leather pants outside of real cowboys wearing real chaps. Absurdly hot, and the understated man looks so good anyway that i can't help but wonder why... .

Anyway before I derail this thread altogether, like a proper guest, I have read, but not chimed in on the politics/religion Discussions threads yet. I thought it a better to settle in before making an utter fool of myself, or giving cause to be chased out of town with torches and pitchforks before being driven into the hinter lands.

Alright, Bob, the temps are warming and I have my own battle to wage with age, so it's time to lace up, and fortunately for my little community - nary a naked bit in sight.

Good luck with that insurance. If they only knew (about your fitness)...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Hi Bob, Surfermom…others. Oh it's so nice to have the weekend upon me once again. Blissful in fact.

Nice to hear from you both with a couple of interesting posts: Leather trousers…not for me since the mid-1980’s when I used to go to a goth club in Hull…little said about that the better! You’re like me Bob, shorts all year round probably, in and outdoors. It’s wonderful to feel free. I wear jeans a lot when shopping, going to the pub etc, but as soon as I’m in the house they come off in favour of a pair of far more comfortable shorts (or if it’s cold, jogging bottoms).

Hope you get your holiday insurance sorted too though Bob, they are a nightmare sometimes. I’ve always been okay but Mrs. Floydysaurus has metal plates in her foot and now there’s the new thing about the cancer this past year. She’s fine now but they always want to know the far end of a f^rt don’t they?

As for the other threads, I’ll probably see you over there sometime this evening, prior to watching The Untouchables which I just purchased again.

- - - - - -

Myself? Well it was time to try and sort out once and for all what the actual problem is with my knees (this must be very boring for you by now!), as I’ve been feeling almost back to normal – save a very slight twinge occasionally. My general pace is fast anyway but since my problems all those months ago I had been limping and then virtually hobbling sometimes. This past week has seen me almost jogging around the warehouse, albeit with the pain at the back of my mind always ready to make that comeback. I did get some new work shoes after Christmas so maybe that’s yet another possibility (I think that’s about twenty different causes I’ve counted so far…!).

Okay, on with today’s return with some leg work at the gym, and this should decide whether or not I still have issues. I trimmed things down a little but stuck to my usual exercises.

Friday 26 Jan 18

Incline press:
25x150, 25x200, 25x250
This went swimmingly. Lots of reps but no pain whatsoever, even on the fairly heavy weight there of 250kgs. Thinking about it for a few seconds, I plucked up the courage and went into heavy territory:
10x300
Again, no bother. I stopped at ten reps just to make sure I wasn’t causing any damage, but all felt really good. I know my quads and hams can handle this sort of weight easily (my old personal best was 425kg a couple of years ago), but I’m not supposed to be going for strength anymore. But hey, it’s very difficult to change your habits! Finished off with:
50x120
Fast–paced high reps at a low weight.

Seated ham curls:
15x50, 12x60, 8x65

Good girls / bad girls:
20x50 on each.

That was all that was required today. A good, sweat-free effort with no problems.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekends all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

27-01-2018, 07:43 PM

Well, Floydy, I suppose we all had our fashion moments in our youth .

No, the information on your knees is not boring but critical to what we are exploring on this thread and that is how we can continue to stay or get fit, while working around the challenges of age and the increased potential for injury. What is your gut telling you about the cause? Do you think backing off somewhat in addition to new shoes can be attributed to bouncing back?

It must have been satisfying to have successfully pushed up to 300 on the inclines. One little threshold passed can make your day. No reason to push back to the records of old. It's all relative to where you are today.

It's about to rain, so I had better run quickly in advance of it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 11:09 PM

Yer.......Good advice from Surfermom Floydy......Sometimes you can never pin down the exact cause of an injury, in fact it could be the combination of several factors.
In my experience though, most of the injuries that I've sustained over the years that I thought were terminal (especially to the execution of my forward motion) turned out to be just aggravating soft tissue problems that cleared up in their own time, but at the same time issuing a warning that I'm not immortal.....

I love the 'Untouchables' Floydy it's up there in my top twenty all time greatest films, I even watched the series back in the day with Robert Stack as Elliot Ness.
I did manage to find some travel insurance for a mere six hundred odd quid, I fear that the older and more decrepit I become the cost of insurance will be prohibitive for some holidays. Hey Ho! old age sucks.......

Twenty Two hundred hours here in South Yorkshire Surfermom, what is it where you are? 16:00 perhaps? Well if I'm to have an owt' like decent run in the morning I must take myself off to bed.........Cheerio for now....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 11:21 PM

Thanks each
It's just weird that the x-ray didn't spot anything untoward; nothing damaged. I requested another appointment with my GP which is next Wednesday, so I'll be asking further advice.
On the training front, I'll keep things progressing as they are for now - still with that caution in the back of my mind though. When I'm leg pressing, I'm dropping the plate about 1/2-way down towards my knees, not fully to my belly, so it's much better and I still feel the work being done on the thighs and hams. Extensions and calf work is on hold for now as I know that does aggravate my knees. Take it as it comes.
Bit more tomorrow on the upper body as I missed it today.

Take care both
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Today I did a more than effective arms workout, focussing solely on the biceps. 45 minutes was plenty enough work to regain some pretty good form.

Sunday 28 Jan 18

Two-arm machine curl:
20x30, 10x35, 10x40, 6x45, 12x25
*Nice good pump for the limbs to warm up with.

DB concentration curl, alt.:
6x14, 6x16, 4x18

Cable curl, alt.:
15x10

Standing preacher curl (over bench):
6x20, 6x22

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
12x40, 10x50
*Not scheduled today and not a strict arm exercise either. Just thrown in whilst waiting for the next one to become available:

E-Z bar preacher curl, seated, low pull, close grip bar:
10x28, 10x33, 10x38, 5x43, 2x50.25,
44x18, 12x23
*I pushed myself to my absolute limit on this today, just to see if I could still reach my max. Although I was a few kilos short, I still curled over fifty kilos for a couple of reps which I was pleased with. To really push myself I then added two more sets of high reps. My biceps were screaming.

Time: 45 mins.

Happy with things today and ready for some shoulder, triceps and delts work next time (Mon or Tues).

Page 103 of 370 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top