Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Seven Seas JointCare

We called at my mother and father in-laws on the way home from an afternoon out today. And as we got ready to come home father said we have some Seven Seas JointCare Active with Glucosamine plus Omega-3 & Chondroitin capsules that we forgot all about, there's 3 packs of them with 60 capsules in each, would you like them he said but the only thing is the best before date was the end of June 2015. I know my hubby can't take them as he already takes a mountain of tablets. I do have stiff joints and arthritis so these would help. But do i take them or not?

Does anyone know the life expectancy of medicine?

Thank you much appreciated
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Re: Seven Seas JointCare

I wouldn't take them Sue.

It's not just the date to worry about anyway, its whether they've been stored correctly as well.
Personally, I don't think I'd want them, the reason being, if you look at the recommended dosage and it's something like 1 or 2 a day for example, you've got 180 days worth, so they'd be well out of date by then!

For the price of fresh ones, I'd rather buy new stock.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wouldn't take them Sue.

It's not just the date to worry about anyway, its whether they've been stored correctly as well.
Personally, I don't think I'd want them, the reason being, if you look at the recommended dosage and it's something like 1 or 2 a day for example, you've got 180 days worth, so they'd be well out of date by then!

For the price of fresh ones, I'd rather buy new stock.
Thanks Mups your right what you say. My hubby said similar that when we get home throw them away, as he's funny with out of date stuff and Mum and Dads house is always warm so the temperature may have turned them..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:40 PM

Better to be safe than sorry Sue.
If it was something that was just a couple of doses I might risk it, but you wouldn't finish them for about another 6 months, so I would certainly be concerned about the date by then.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

15-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Better to be safe than sorry Sue.
If it was something that was just a couple of doses I might risk it, but you wouldn't finish them for about another 6 months, so I would certainly be concerned about the date by then.
Thanks for the advice Mups
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:47 PM

I'd probably bin them too. A tube of out of date antiseptic cream .. I'd probably still use, but not something I'd be ingesting.

I'm curious though .. so it's a good opportunity to ask.
Just now, coincidentally, I'm wondering whether to start taking some kind of supplement for joint care.

Do they really help ?
And what does everyone recommend from their own experience?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:49 PM

Surely it would, at best, only result in a depleted dose ?

All this PC labelling gets on my ***

Bet you anything your tablets will be fine.

Years ago, when I had a back problem, none of these over-the-counter remedies helped but I did read that high doses of cod liver oil each day, lubricated the joints of Ranolph Finnes' mother.

Something like 6 tablespoons per day in orange juice !!!

Euwwwwwww ... no doubt he wrote a book about it
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

16-11-2015, 12:00 AM

@Morticia - My hubby says that if he doesn't take cod liver oil tablets especially in winter his joints cease up ... He just takes the ordinary Cod liver oil capsules as he cant have the suppliments in the others as he take tablets..

@Rachel - I know what your saying, and yes they probably would be fine for another month, but better be safe than sorry..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-11-2015, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'd probably bin them too. A tube of out of date antiseptic cream .. I'd probably still use, but not something I'd be ingesting.

I'm curious though .. so it's a good opportunity to ask.
Just now, coincidentally, I'm wondering whether to start taking some kind of supplement for joint care.

Do they really help ?
And what does everyone recommend from their own experience?

I don't think any one pill suits all Morty. Supplements seem to help some people and not others. It's trial and error I think.
Personally I take "IMove" from Lintbells.
It's Glucosamin/Green Lipped Mussel (contains Chondroitin), plus vitamin C and E.

www.imovejointcare.co.uk

I also take a plant sterol.

I wondered a while back if the IMove were making any difference as I still get a bit stiff some days, so I stopped taking them. Within 2 or 3 weeks I was much stiffer than I had been, so that was enough evidence for me, and I started taking them again and felt alot better.
fruitilicious
New Member!
Devon, UK
fruitilicious is female 

16-11-2015, 12:13 AM

I'm with the minority here, pills obviously do have expiration dates listed on the bottle, but Glucosamine and Chondroitin won't "go bad". Once a supplement hits the expiration date, it means the company can no longer guarantee potency after that date. So after they expire, they may not be as good or potent as they once were, but they won't spoil like old milk and make you sick... it's perfectly safe to take those.
However, if you get a liquid supplement, toss it when it gets to the expiration date... liquids can spoil where dried powder in capsules and tablets won't.
The sad bit is that as fish oil is a food substance that is highly perishable, just like milk or meat. To a certain degree it can be stabilized, but beware of labels that have a two to three year expiration date. These products have most likely been sitting on the shelf for years, and almost certainly contain rancid oil.
To conclude I would say bin the seven seas bottle and buy a supermarket own brand which will be kinder on your purse and your tummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top