Join for free
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 03:57 PM

Farage Says It Like It Is

There's been a lot of criticism of Farage's speech to the European Parliament

The UKIP leader was apparently booed and heckled. Here's the transcript of his speech.

The "intervention" bit is where European Parliament President Martin Schulz intervened saying: "I understand you are getting emotional but you are acting like UKIP act in this chamber. Please. Don't imitate them."

Farage Speech

"Isn’t it funny? When I came here 17 years ago and I said that I wanted to lead a campaign to get Britain to leave the European Union, you all laughed at me – well I have to say, you’re not laughing now, are you? The reason you’re so upset, you’re so angry, has been perfectly clear, from all the angry exchanges this morning.

You as a political project are in denial. You’re in denial that your currency is failing. Just look at the Mediterranean! As a policy to impose poverty on Greece and the Mediterranean you’ve done very well.

You’re in denial over Mrs. Merkel’s call for as many people as possible to cross the Mediterranean – which has led to massive divisions between within countries and between countries.

The biggest problem you’ve got and the main reason the UK voted the way it did is because you have by stealth and deception, and without telling the truth to the rest of the peoples of Europe, you have imposed upon them a political union. When the people in 2005 in the Netherlands and France voted against that political union and rejected the constitution you simply ignored them and brought the Lisbon treaty in through the back door.

What happened last Thursday was a remarkable result – it was a seismic result. Not just for British politics, for European politics, but perhaps even for global politics too.

Because what the little people did, what the ordinary people did – what the people who’d been oppressed over the last few years who’d seen their living standards go down did – was they rejected the multinationals, they rejected the merchant banks, they rejected big politics and they said actually, we want our country back, we want our fishing waters back, we want our borders back.

We want to be an independent, self-governing, normal nation. That is what we have done and that is what must happen. In doing so we now offer a beacon of hope to democrats across the rest of the European continent. I’ll make one prediction this morning: the United Kingdom will not be the last member state to leave the European Union.

The question is what do we do next? It is up to the British government to invoke article 50 and I don’t think we should spend too long in doing it. I totally agree that the British people have voted, we need to make sure that it happens.

What I’d like to see is a grownup and sensible attitude to how we negotiate a different relationship. I know that virtually none of you have never done a proper job in your lives, or worked in business, or worked in trade, or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen.

Intervention

You’re quite right Mr Schultz – Ukip used to protest against the establishment and now the establishment protests against Ukip. Something has happened here. Let us listen to some simple pragmatic economics – my country and your country, between us we do an enormous amount of business in goods and services. That trade is mutually beneficial to both of us, that trade matters. If you were to cut off your noses to spite your faces and reject any idea of a sensible trade deal the consequences would be far worse for you than it would be for us.

Even no deal is better for the United Kingdom is better than the current rotten deal that we’ve got. But if we were to move to a position where tariffs were reintroduced on products like motorcars then hundreds of thousands of German works would risk losing their jobs.

Why don’t we be grown up, pragmatic, sensible, realistic and let’s cut between us a sensible tariff-free deal and thereafter recognise that the United Kingdom will be your friend, that we will trade with you, cooperate with you, we will be your best friends in the world. Do that, do it sensibly, and allow us to go off and pursue our global ambitions and future."

Putting aside the patronising elements to this speech, Farage is actually wholly correct when he says the reason so many voted to Leave was because:

"they rejected the multinationals, they rejected the merchant banks, they rejected big politics and they said actually, we want our country back, we want our fishing waters back, we want our borders back. "

Totally correct. That is precisely why I and millions of other "awake" people voted Leave, the Immigration nonsense is a smoke screen.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...0232d331e9f55?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Re: Farage Says It Like It Is

Yes....he will never be a successful politician while he keeps insisting on telling the truth.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:04 PM

I admit he spoke a lot of sense, said what many people are thinking , such a pity he has no charm!

Charm would go a long way with our European neighbours right now...
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I admit he spoke a lot of sense, said what many people are thinking , such a pity he has no charm!

Charm would go a long way with our European neighbours right now...
Maybe you should write his speeches....you have such a charming turn of phrase
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:11 PM

You forgot about the Belgian MEP' s comment to Farrage which I thought commical. The only waste of money by the EU was your salary for 17 years. Handbags at dawn. Just a break from the gloom and doom
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Maybe you should write his speeches....you have such a charming turn of phrase
Oh bugger off malcolm, you're such a boring troll
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

28-06-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Oh bugger off malcolm, you're such a boring troll
And you appear to have lost your sense of humour .... Although it was always well hidden
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:32 PM

I rather like Nigel TBF, he has a lovely smile and talks sense. I reckon the EU will be finished in 5 years , just saying.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

28-06-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
And you appear to have lost your sense of humour .... Although it was always well hidden
Verbal abuse plus a smiley equals humour.
I must remember that
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Can I get my popcorn out. I am enjoying this

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top