Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 10:13 PM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

I repeat, do NOT do it yourself.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Good advice Lindy.
The best that could happen is the light won't work.....
The worst that could happen is a fire behind the wall and up into the floor/or loft above.....Don't do it.......Double switches - and especially two way switches can have some very complex wiring.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->

I have to agree in this case . The problem with switches and sockets is the wiring behind is not that long to pull the front right out. Yes you could undo the existing switch (electricity main fuse off) and try copying from one terminal to the other BUT and a BIG BUT it may also be the wiring causing the switch to fail.

Also the back of the light switch may have terminals in a different layout.

Electricians recommend a rewire of house electrical circuits every 25 years.

My strongest suggestion is to go get the correct light switch and get an electrician in to test and connect for you. That way it cuts down his time in getting a switch for which he would charge you for

Even if you did it yourself legally you should have a qualified elecrictrician to certify it has been done to IEE regs and signed off
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It could be quite simple, depending on the way it is wired at the moment.

To be safe, switch off the circuit breaker (no need to take it out!) or, better still, switch off the main switch and make sure there is no power at all in the house.

Then unscrew the light switch and take a clear photograph of what's behind, specifically the back of the switch with wires attached of course.

Post it here, and if it looks correctly wired, I can probably help.

Changing a correctly wired light switch is simple, but if you are at all uncertain get in an electrician. It will probably be a quick and cheap job.

BTW, the switch 'sizzling' probably indicates a loose connection of one of the wires to the terminal in the switch, but it could be the switch that is faulty.
Thanks JBR - that's the best offer I've had all day! It occurs to me that this switch was wired in six years ago when I moved here......that would have been by a qualified electrician, so maybe (hopefully) it's something simple. Will take the plate off tomorrow and take a photo........... thanks again.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:11 AM

I give up, carry on regardless.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks JBR - that's the best offer I've had all day! It occurs to me that this switch was wired in six years ago when I moved here......that would have been by a qualified electrician, so maybe (hopefully) it's something simple. Will take the plate off tomorrow and take a photo........... thanks again.
No problem.

Rest assured that if there was any doubt about what I see, I would do as others have suggested and advise you to get in an electrician.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:45 AM

Lindyloo

I did 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician and have an ordinary national certificate (ONC), now not allowed as not up to latest IEE regs and retired anyway . I don't think JBR is actually qualified to give advice all be it well intentioned.

For the cost of getting an electrician in who anyway would have to pass your switch wiring under the law it is not worth attempting to do it yourself

Thae a trip to your local fire station and ask how many house fires are due to faulty electrical wiring
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:48 AM

The `sizzling` noise could just be a loose connection - the wires in the terminals can vibrate loose over time (because of A.C. voltage). Turn the power off, unscrew the switch from the wall and check the connections. If okay, then change it. Make a note of the connections or better still, remove the wires one at a time and put the removed wires into the same terminal locations of the new switch.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-02-2017, 12:50 AM

http://www.electrical-testing.co.uk/...rt-p-affect-me

Certification by a registered third party
3.5 Before work begins, an installer who is not a registered competent person may appoint a registered third-party certifier (electrical contractor or electrician who is a registered member of a Part P registration body) to inspect and test the work as necessary.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

11-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Lindyloo

I did 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician and have an ordinary national certificate (ONC), now not allowed as not up to latest IEE regs and retired anyway . I don't think JBR is actually qualified to give advice all be it well intentioned.

For the cost of getting an electrician in who anyway would have to pass your switch wiring under the law it is not worth attempting to do it yourself

it
I agree and consider it to be irresponsible if not downright criminal to advise someone who stated that she was "hopeless with electric" to try to do this job.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top