Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Re: New Boiler

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If they can't get to a waste pipe they will probably dig a trench and fill with gravel. I have seen this done inside a garage before.
There is a rainwater pipe a couple of feet outside the garage. As I understand it, they can run the pipe along the garage wall (above ground) but once outside there is a problem in case of freezing.

On the other side of the wall, however, there is our en suite shower room with access under the floor from the garage. I suppose it might be possible to run the pipe through the wall (breeze block) and into the drains in there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Yes, they dug into the concrete floor by a metre.
Sounds expensive. Also, the garage is a later add-on and the adjacent wall the original 1920s house wall. I think a metre might be deeper than the original foundations.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:58 PM

What about if you sold the house? Would you then be liable to prosecution?
Not necessarily,

He had it checked and commissioned by a gas safe engineer. So, he should have the documentation that it was safe and signed off. It could be re-checked before a sale.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sounds expensive. Also, the garage is a later add-on and the adjacent wall the original 1920s house wall. I think a metre might be deeper than the original foundations.
The condense can be pumped JB. There are specific pumps for this purpose. They are quite small and can be pumped somewhere safe via a 1/4" reinforced flexi tube.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-03-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
The condense can be pumped JB. There are specific pumps for this purpose. They are quite small and can be pumped somewhere safe via a 1/4" reinforced flexi tube.
Thanks. I'll mention that when I see the engineer about it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Hi

Fender is the Expert on this, lucky to have him on here.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

08-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. I'll mention that when I see the engineer about it.
Look into Ideal boilers as well. They will give a 7 year warranty if installed correctly and the boiler gets registered with them within a certain period.

Worcester Bosch are a bit overrated imo.
Some "engineers" will slate Biasi for example. But, for some time they were known for having the least number of issues during their warranty period than any other boiler.

We have one (the Riva high efficiency). Only problem in 9 years was a £10 temp sensor. It's still going strong.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 10:12 PM

Well, it's in and silently chugging away, what narked me was, when I built the downstairs Loo, I went to great lengths to seal back in the soil stack, to prevent draughts etc,, the surveyor said, I needed to make access to this available so a strap boss could be installed on the stack for the waste, I pointed out that a surface drain on the outside, fed into the same manhole as the soil stack discharges into, his response was that it was better to take the soil stack option, so, I destroyed work previously done, turns out, the fitter drilled through the wall, and fitted an external vertical (no chance of freezing) discharge pipe into the drain, so, a bit more repair work to do, but the pipe work is par excellence.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:10 PM

Good luck with the boiler Spitty.
Had a Backboiler behind the gas fire in the lounge ever since the bungalow was built forty odd years ago. Had very little trouble with it until it's demise twenty years ago when a new fire and backboiler was installed. I serviced it myself every year and again, no problems.

This year we have decided to have a new kitchen fitted, but with a twenty year old backboiler realised that it was time to have a new modern condensing boiler fitted in the kitchen where the hot water cylinder used to live. So last August a friendly local fitter came along and installed a brand new Worcester Bosch Boiler in the Tank cupboard. I understand it is a 'Top of the Range Boiler' with a seven year guarantee.

He did a sterling job, but left the piping a bit untidy. I suppose because it is hidden in the cupboard he wasn't too concerned. But being a perfectionist myself intend to make some modifications.

It has worked perfectly until the end of December when the remote radio controlled thermostat [or was it the receiver] failed. He soon produced a new one at no expense to us, and the boiler was as good as new. That was however until February, I woke up one morning to a cold house. Domestic hot water was not affected. He came out later that day and found it was the drain pipe that connected into the waste pipes under the sink.

However, he found no blockage and on reasembly of the pipes worked fine. He thought it might have been an air lock. It has done it a few times since, but by using a plunger on the sink drainer, and following some gurgling, normal service can be restored.

SUMMARY

The heating is as good or, if not better than the original system, very happy.
Hot water at the kitchen sink very good.
Hot water at the bathroom taps, one room away. Pipes go up into the loft and down to the bathroom. A long wait for hot water to arrive.......
Shower......With the backboiler it was a pumped power shower. Now it comes straight from the boiler, no pump. Pressure is surprisingly good. But when the central heating is on the shower only gets luke warm. Mrs Fox not happy. Turning a tap on in the kitchen reduces pressure.....Mrs Fox not happy.
Bills are cheaper......Mrs Fox Happy.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:15 PM

Foxy, I am just happy to have an "ECO" button, tonight I will sleep well.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top